Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Vortex Being Removed!
Users viewing this topic: PKI Jizzman and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby BDD27 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Arrow coasters are my #1. GASM was my first arrow and my favorite coaster when I first started riding. It broke my heart to see my favorite coaster die. I didn't get to ride another till vortex last year. It is truly the perfect coaster. It has airtime, intensity, hang time, and it's honestly not bumpy, especially for an arrow. I worry about how long the coaster has left though. Last year somehow I got to go on a personal backstage tour with Mr. Jeff Gramke of the parks management. I asked him how long he thought the coaster had left. He said it has awhile as the steel is holding up wonderfully for its age. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to get back there. VORTEX #1

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Glad you had a great time at Kings Island and count me in as a big fan of Vortex. Hate those seat belts you attach the harness with but still it's one of the best rides Arrow created.

I hate how they don't fill the station up as well and while it was always that way with Diamondback I noticed they were trying to control the amount of people in the Beast station on my visit a few weeks ago. I understand the reasons why as it can get bad (like SFGAm Viper station bad) but they genrally do a decent job in dispatching trains.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby WhichWayUp » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm glad there's still people that give vortex the love it deserves. It's not a head bang fest that often :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Brian6325 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 pm

The Vortex was the first big steel coaster I went on when I was a kid, and is still on of my favorite looping coasters. I really do want to get to Kings Island this year. It has been to long since I have been there. Kings Island it my favorite park, there is just something about the atmosphere that no other park has.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 pm

I actually started to grey out between the two vertical loops on Vortex when we were there last summer. Really forceful ride, I loved it!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby adamico2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:18 pm

I actually like that KI started limiting the station to 2-3 trains worth of guests. It makes it a lot easier to spot the shortest line on rides where position doesn't really matter to me. Also, since people generally gravitate toward the shortest line, prime seats (usually in the back for me) tend to have the same number of people as any other seat, which didn't use to be the case, especially on the Beast. Like you said, on rides with seaters, you can always request a specific seat.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby corn4ahead » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Hey guys! I am new to the forums but a long time reader!

Anyway, KI is my home park and I gotta say, I am really glad to see that all you guys are enjoying it! I have had a season pass for the last 10 years and platinum for 4 of those. I have had my fair share of Kings Island. This year I have been once but I did notice that the park is a beautiful as ever.

As far as Vortex goes, great ride. It has a really nostalgic feel to it and it still has a lot of "umph". I just feel after all these years, that it needs some new trains. That thing is a headache machine for me. Carolina Cobra love? I think so.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:20 pm

alilstronger wrote:OK, so I have FINALLY been to Kings Island...

Finally back from Kings Island! Oh wow this park is such a nice beautiful well taken care of park. The staff was very nice and actually acted like they cared. I know I am going to get crap for this but I was not that impressed with the Beast during the day. However, at night it was AWESOME! The stand out coasters for me were Vortex (again I will probably get crap for that) and Flight Deck. I LOVE Arrow coasters and most of them have awesome architecture. I did not go through dinosaurs alive however I did the 3D dinosaur show which was really well done. The fast lane option really helped - most of the coasters had at least an hour wait all day and we got the entire park (minus the water park) finished twice on a Saturday. So now I know I can go to a Cedar Fair park on a weekend and still have a blast. I wish you could use the Fast Lane on Flight Deck and the river rapids rides though - but them lines went kinda fast.

I know this is for crowd control but I hate how they do not fill the stations with people. Just something about that annoys me. To me it makes the line appear longer than it is. Also on some of the coasters you could not choose your seat - they told you where to go but at only certain times of the day. But as long as I ask I was able to sit where I wanted. Also I did not like that Firehawk was the ONLY coaster you HAVE to buy a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for. I know most enthusiast do not carry a book bag but I always do when I go a park so it was nice not having to a buy a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo all day for the other coasters. They had a $5 special for the Sky Coaster which I was able to take advantage of as well as a $10 special on the Sling Shot. I LOVE the Sling Shot ride and always try to ride it wherever I go. For the amount of people that go to this park they could use a lot more water slides in the water park. It was very crowded and I did not get on any. I do like how they have the large grassy area where people lay out their beach towels and leave their things.

Wind Seeker is officially the scariest ride I have ever ridden. I think it is because they are so high and I feel like there is nothing holding you in. The walls of it are so low and your legs are dangling away. Once it got to the mid point I told my friend I really wanted to get off (and I have NEVER wanted to get off a ride because I was so scared) but of course I couldn't.

I can't help but get that insecure feeling on windseeker near the end as it's coming down...for some reason I get that "I'm gonna fall out of my seat" feeling but I guess it's more to do with the fear of the ride getting stuck like 30/50 feet above the ground with no way out than anything else,especially after hearing of the 2 hour wait the poor folks at CP had to go throughthis past weekend when it went down.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby KI Kidd » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:42 am

It would appear that Diamondback has re-opened, according to the park webcam.

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:40 am

Ive felt completely secure in Windseeker. No issues. Fun ride, nothing special and certainly not the most nerve racking ride I can say Ive been on. I still think that goes to Intamin third gen towers. Great fun, but the wait...it kills me lol

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!