TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

"On March 15, 2010, the General Manager of Kings Island, Greg Scheid, stated that the park had spent nearly $30 million on the ride 9Son of Beast) to date, and that it would not reopen for the 2010 season." as per wikipedia.

30 Million??!! Changing trains, removing loops, fixing poor supports. What a colossal disaster. Nothing but several lawsuits and an empty space in return for that money.

The only cool thing about Son of Beast was that it was MASSIVE, a real presence at the park. I miss seeing its massive structure driving down I-71.

Kind of random to bring that up, but okay.

The $30mil was over the lifetime of the ride, Cedar Fair only put a small portion of that into Son of Beast. Paramount knew how bad of a ride Son of Beast was, they just kept putting money into it to try and fix it, but of course the year that Cedar Fair takes over, a bent breaks which pretty much begins the end of the ride. Things were just going wrong from the moment it was built:

- Roller Coaster Corporation of America had (what I think) faulty support design which eventually led to the 2006 accident. Mind you they were also the company that was the center of the whole Rattler debacle back in 1993.

- The construction company for the roller coaster using sub-par wood to keep cost low, even though they still managed to spend over $20mil on construction. First sign of this was when a section of the lift collapsed during construction, which I think was covered up by either the construction company or Paramount as "weather related."

- Premier's heavy 3-bench trains, which destroyed the track more than what PTC trains do and was a factor in the 2006 accident.

- The loop was probably the best part of the ride, due to it being a steel structure. Unfortunately the Gerstlauer trains were too light to complete the whole course with the loop so it was removed.

I think this was one reason why the ride additions after 2000 at Kings Island, before Cedar Fair bought the Paramount Parks, weren't anything spectacular. All of the major expenses went towards getting Son of Beast back into a rideable shape.

I got a much better impression from Kings Island than Cedar Point. Kings island had more trees and better theming. Honestly, Cedar point just felt like a piece of land full of coasters with no distinct themed sections. Of course it dedn't help that a freak storm came through when I was there and flooded all of the midways!

I think this was one reason why the ride additions after 2000 at Kings Island, before Cedar Fair bought the Paramount Parks, weren't anything spectacular. All of the major expenses went towards getting Son of Beast back into a rideable shape.

So I guess Tomb Raider: The Ride didn't cost that much or wasn't spectacular when it decided to work...

I go to the park quite a bit. I live 20 minutes away.

I think that 2012's increase in attendance was in part due to the fact the The Beach water park across the highway was closed for the season.

Now that The Beach will be opening again this year, I believe attendance at KI will be slightly lower than last year. The new owners of The Beach are honoring all 2012 season passes that were purchased but not redeemed, (couldn't be redeemed for obvious reasons).

If you go during the week, lines won't be too bad. Diamondback and Vortex are people eaters. Diamondback's full queue from the greeter to boarding the train only takes 45 minutes. When the line is sticking out, and it out to the doors of the restaurant right next to Diamondback, add 10 minutes. If you wait for the front, it will obviously be longer.

You will not need Fast Lane if you traverse the park in one direction, and ride things as you get to them. Don't zig zag the park or you will become tired faster. Start with Invertigo, or FireHawk. They usually have the worst lines in the park.

Food wise in the park, the best deal is the Backyard BBQ. It runs from 5:30 to 7, and is a buffet. If you have a Gold or Platinum, you get a discount. They serve fried chicken, pulled BBQ pork, hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad, drinks, and select ice cream. Get your tickets early, at Guest Relations, then get to Picnic Grove early to be among the first in line.

I go to the park quite a bit. I live 20 minutes away.

I think that 2012's increase in attendance was in part due to the fact the The Beach water park across the highway was closed for the season.

Now that The Beach will be opening again this year, I believe attendance at KI will be slightly lower than last year. The new owners of The Beach are honoring all 2012 season passes that were purchased but not redeemed, (couldn't be redeemed for obvious reasons).

If you go during the week, lines won't be too bad. Diamondback and Vortex are people eaters. Diamondback's full queue from the greeter to boarding the train only takes 45 minutes. When the line is sticking out, and it out to the doors of the restaurant right next to Diamondback, add 10 minutes. If you wait for the front, it will obviously be longer.

You will not need Fast Lane if you traverse the park in one direction, and ride things as you get to them. Don't zig zag the park or you will become tired faster. Start with Invertigo, or FireHawk. They usually have the worst lines in the park.

Food wise in the park, the best deal is the Backyard BBQ. It runs from 5:30 to 7, and is a buffet. If you have a Gold or Platinum, you get a discount. They serve fried chicken, pulled BBQ pork, hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad, drinks, and select ice cream. Get your tickets early, at Guest Relations, then get to Picnic Grove early to be among the first in line.

Thanks for the great reply

We are staying at the Great Wolf Lodge so I think we get into the park a bit early (is this correct or not). I am getting the tickets online so shouldn't have to wait in any lines for the tickets. This will be our only time visiting the park so want to take full advantage of the rides. Invertigo and Firehawk, get on them early and maybe late?

We will make sure to hit up the Backyard BBQ, sounds great.

ERT is 30 minutes for Gold, Platinum, GWL, and KI Resort guests, and it's only select rides.

Definitely do Invertigo and FireHawk first, then take it from there.

When are you going? I could possible meet up with you and show you around the park!

Beast does not open early. Last year at the beginning D-Back and Invertigo were the 2 big coasters that opened early. ABout midway through last year they switched Invertigo to Drop Tower. If you go the visitkingsisland website and go to the FAQ page it lists the ERT. I also thought only Gold and Plat passes get in early not resorts. Last year it was 1 hour prior but heard rumor it was going to be shorter this year. Below is cut and paste from the bottom of the FAQ page.

"Every day during the 2012 season, the park opens early for Gold Passholders to enjoy some of their favorite rides. Early ride times begin one hour prior to park opening every public operating day. (Note: Early ride times are not available on Fridays during Halloween Haunt).

Early rides include: Diamondback, Drop Tower, Eiffel Tower, Flying Ace Aerial Chase, Woodstock Whirlybirds, Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, Linus’ Launcher, Great Pumpkin Coaster, Charlie Brown’s Wind Up and Surf Dog."

I do agree getting Firehawk out of the way early is a huge help and while back there Flight of Fear can get long. Look at a map in advance and you can plan your route of going to Invertigo then back to Firehawk. It seems odd to walk by a couple of coasters but those rides don't get long lines. If you are interested in credit whoring or have young kids Flying Ace can get long early afternoon.

ERT is 30 minutes for Gold, Platinum, GWL, and KI Resort guests, and it's only select rides.

Definitely do Invertigo and FireHawk first, then take it from there.

When are you going? I could possible meet up with you and show you around the park!

We will be at the Island on May 15th, that would be a Weds, then driving up to Cedar Point that night and high Cedar Thursday and Friday. We still might be looking for a 4th, you interested?

An article from the Cincinnati Enquirer about off-season maintenance.

Kings Island crews always testing, fixing

Every year, from April until late October, millions of thrill-seekers pour through Kings Island’s gates in search of heart-pounding adventures on one of the park’s world-class roller coasters or other rides.

The Mason amusement park will rely on more than 4,000 seasonal workers to operate the park when it opens April 27. But for Tom Dillingham and his crew, the real work begins when the shrieks subside, the last ride makes its way into the station and the park gates close.

As the park’s manager of rides and mechanical maintenance, Dillingham, 54, oversees a crew of about 50 mechanics, carpenters and welders who conduct year-round testing and maintenance of the park’s 46 rides. The bulk of the work takes place in the park’s off-season months of November through April.

WhoDey,

Thanks for clearing that up.

I normally ONLY ride Diamondback when I go to Kings Island, so I don't really care what other rides are open for ERT.

Yes, resort guests at GWL and KI Resort get ERT. (At least they did for the last couple seasons.)

King's Island is almost open! Any TPR members do Diamondback ERT on weekdays? I'll be there almost every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Would like to meet some of you! Late last season i met a gentleman who told me about TPR and we did 33 rides consecutive on Diamondback without leaving our seats! Don't remember his name but he showed me the ropes and got me to this club. If your on this forum, hello again!

This is very random but the park just posted a video of Diamondback testing on their FB page, and I noticed something. You know how last season there was a fairly loud sort of back and forth clicky sound from the trains rattling when they ran through the course? Well, I noticed in the video they posted that the trains aren't making that noise. I know someone posted a while back that KI was replacing the wheel bogeys over the off-season because with the weird train design they get worn out easily. Anyway, sorry for the random ranty post, but I'm happy that hopefully there won't be as much of a rattle this season!

This is very random but the park just posted a video of Diamondback testing on their FB page, and I noticed something. You know how last season there was a fairly loud sort of back and forth clicky sound from the trains rattling when they ran through the course? Well, I noticed in the video they posted that the trains aren't making that noise. I know someone posted a while back that KI was replacing the wheel bogeys over the off-season because with the weird train design they get worn out easily. Anyway, sorry for the random ranty post, but I'm happy that hopefully there won't be as much of a rattle this season!

Well, there wasn't any sort of rattle at the bottom of the first drop, the rattle is the problem at the bottom of the third and turn around. I don't think we can really answer the question until we ride it this year!

bonsaiisuperstar,

I go to ERT a lot during the week. I rarely go on weekends. Last year my kids and I went 35 time during the week. This year one child finally makes 54" so I will be going opening day for ert and probably most May weekdays. When the time gets closer we can talk about meeting up as long as 8 year old girls don't scare you. I also go alone a lot in the evenings after the kids go to bed (730ish) so I wouldn't mind meeting up so I don't look like a loser alone while the 15 year olds make out in line around me.

Well, there wasn't any sort of rattle at the bottom of the first drop, the rattle is the problem at the bottom of the third and turn around. I don't think we can really answer the question until we ride it this year!

There was a definitely a prominent "rattle" sound that could be heard (from off-ride) when the train reached the bottom of the first drop last year. Hopefully this video is a good sign!

Kings Island has sent us a press release about their latest, record breaking addition to Dinosaurs Alive!, this time in the form of the world's largest animatronic dinosaur!

One of the largest creatures to ever lumber the earth is set to storm Kings Island this spring, in all its roaring glory with the arrival of a life-size Sauroposeidon, the world’s largest animatronic dinosaur.

Even the tallest guests at Dinosaurs Alive! may feel a little small standing next to Sauroposeidon. The length of three school buses and the height of a six-story building, this dinosaur showcases just how gigantic some sauropods really were. Known as the Earth Quake Lizard, this North American dinosaur was unearthed in the United States and rivals South American sauropods for the title of largest in the world. Estimated to be between 112 to 118 feet long and 56 feet tall, Sauroposeidon is said to have weighed 50 to 60 tons, eight times the size of an African elephant.

The extraordinary size of the Sauroposeidon has made crafting, transporting and building the animatronic dinosaur a creative challenge. Designed and handcrafted exclusively for Kings Island by an expert team of exhibition designers and builders, the dinosaur arrived at Kings Island Monday in four shipping containers and will take a crew of 12 people two weeks to set up.

Also new this season is an area within Dinosaurs Alive! where guests will find a pack of Albertosaurus, a scene that explores the idea that carnivorous theropods may have been social creatures. Based on evidence gathered at the Albertosaurus Dry Island bonebed in Alberta, Canada, paleontologists believe these dinosaurs may have hunted in packs of all ages.

Entering its third season at Kings Island, Dinosaurs Alive! features more than 65 life-size, moving, roaring dinosaurs and allows guests to literally step back in time to the beginning of the “Age of the Dinosaurs” and encounter the beasts that dominated the planet for over 180 million years in the world’s largest animatronic dinosaur park.

Dinosaurs Alive! is not included with park admission to Kings Island. A separate $5 ticket is required to experience this awe-inspiring attraction.

Kings Island and Dinosaurs Alive! open for the 2013 season April 27.

61749298_DinosaursAlive!.thumb.jpg.538cd42d9dd934b018e7f5a65636b929.jpg