TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I looked at the picture for a good five seconds and thought "huh, I don't remember clicking on the Dorney Park Discussion Thread." Maybe I should go to bed...

Same here!

I will concede that the new colors don't look as flashy or exciting, but at least they're much prettier.

Kings Island has sent us a press release regarding their new logo celebrating the park's 40th anniversary.

On April 29, 1972 Kings Island opened its $30 million royal gates outside of Cincinnati, Ohio to a mere 7,000 curious guests. The slogan used to entice their visit was “C’mon Get Happy!” and admission to the park boasting 65 attractions was $6.00. It didn’t take long for word to get out, though. By the end of the first season Kings Island had set a theme park industry record by playing host to more than 2 million guests.

Since then, over 120 million visitors have experienced the park’s world-class rides, shows and attractions making Kings Island one of the most celebrated theme parks in the nation. The 1972 attendance record was just the beginning of a long string of firsts the park has accumulated in the past 40 years.

Given its exciting and impressive evolution, Kings Island plans to celebrate its 40th anniversary season throughout the upcoming summer, unveiling today a commemorative logo on the park’s Facebook and Twitter pages. A series of interactive online and social media campaigns focused on Kings Island fans and their memories will be introduced in the coming weeks.

Kings Island opens for the 2012 season April 28. Daily operation begins May 11.

The all-new Soak City Waterpark debuts May 26 and is included free with park admission.

KI_40th_annivesary_logo.thumb.jpg.c72e16ec9a66d85c6dc7fea28c75fe40.jpg

That's nice. CW had their 30th anniversary last year, so they brought back some nostalgia with old school paint jobs (Vortex trains) to the original TAFT logo on the wooden coasters. And there was Starlight Spectacular that had birthday wishes to the park at the end of the show. I'm excited to see what Kings Island does around the park for their 40th. They've been tweeting a bit about the Racer, so maybe it'll have old paint jobs and logos.

The logo reminds me too much of Cedar Point though I'm happy they put the emphasis on the Eiffel Tower. I'm rather picky but the old Taft logo would have been nice to bring back for a year.

Kings Island should have a park museum like CP does. The former International Restaurant would make a nice spot even if it's just for a limited time.

The logo looks very nice. I really hope that Kings Island does something pretty cool for the 40th Anniversary. Son of Beast returning would've been pretty cool, but sadly, no word yet...

Anyways, going old school for the 40th would be a cool idea and, maybe for 40th Anniversary, The Racer could be going backwards again. Who knows?

• 2 weeks later...
The logo looks very nice. I really hope that Kings Island does something pretty cool for the 40th Anniversary. Son of Beast returning would've been pretty cool, but sadly, no word yet...

Anyways, going old school for the 40th would be a cool idea and, maybe for 40th Anniversary, The Racer could be going backwards again. Who knows?

I thought the same thing, Even with Kings Island being my home park, I wasn't aware that The Racer ran both sides facing forward. Somewhere, I can't find it, but someone asked Kings Island if they would have the red side of The Racer going backwards this year for the 40th, but Kings Island said no. They said no because The Racer originally ran both sides forward and it was never intended to run backwards. I found it interesting that both sides ran forward in the beginning.

^IIRC, they started running one side backwards in the 1980s because of the downtime The Bat was experiencing.

Cedar Fair has already said they turned the trains to all face forward because PTC does not approve of their trains running backwards on a ride. Tom Rebbie was once asked about it and I believe he said that if a park wants them they will design a train to run backwards, but they will not sign off/perform work on any current train the runs backwards. I never got to ride The Racer backwards, but did get to ride Rebel Yell and it didn't do much for me. I really disliked the ride but found the forward side ok and both forward sides of The Racer and Thunder Road at Carowinds to be fun.

That's nice. CW had their 30th anniversary last year, so they brought back some nostalgia with old school paint jobs (Vortex trains) to the original TAFT logo on the wooden coasters. And there was Starlight Spectacular that had birthday wishes to the park at the end of the show. I'm excited to see what Kings Island does around the park for their 40th. They've been tweeting a bit about the Racer, so maybe it'll have old paint jobs and logos.

Funny how KD never updated their sign for their 30th anniversary in 2005,they'll probably do so in 2015.

I'm trying to plan a trip to KI in late July. This will be my first time at the park so I'll start with the usual "How are crowds on a late July weekend?" I'm trying to hit the park on a Sunday to avoid a potential madhouse on Saturday.

I'm trying to hit the signature stuff (Firehawk, FOF, Racer, Beast, Diamondback, Delirium, Top Gun - no Drop Zone for me though) and then plan for rerides later in the day. Any other rides I should plan in a potential trip?

Anyone wanna do a meetup? I'd love to get in touch with a few more TPR members.

I really liked both Adventure Express and Vortex when I visited, so I'd try to take a spin on both of them. AE is definitely a nice Minetrain, I know others have bad opinions on Vortex.

Otherwise, make sure to ride Beast at night after dark. I found it made a big difference.

I really liked both Adventure Express and Vortex when I visited, so I'd try to take a spin on both of them. AE is definitely a nice Minetrain, I know others have bad opinions on Vortex.

Otherwise, make sure to ride Beast at night after dark. I found it made a big difference.

It's like night and day.

I'm trying to plan a trip to KI in late July. This will be my first time at the park so I'll start with the usual "How are crowds on a late July weekend?" I'm trying to hit the park on a Sunday to avoid a potential madhouse on Saturday.

I'm trying to hit the signature stuff (Firehawk, FOF, Racer, Beast, Diamondback, Delirium, Top Gun - no Drop Zone for me though) and then plan for rerides later in the day. Any other rides I should plan in a potential trip?

Anyone wanna do a meetup? I'd love to get in touch with a few more TPR members.

If you have a CF Platinum Pass then I would recommend getting to the park early for ERT on Diamondback and Invertigo (and a quick spin on Flying Ace Arial Chase, if you are of the whorish persuasion). Either way I would try to be at the park at opening and go directly back to X-Base and either get in line for Firehawk (if its open yet, it tends to take its time opening up some mornings) or Flight of Fear. Ride the other after you get off whichever one you ride first. I would then go over and hit Backlot next as its line can get to be a bit long/slow/combination of both as the day goes on. Racer, Beast, Vortex, and Diamondback all have lines that move pretty quickly. I would concur with the above posters that night is the time to ride Beast. Ride Vortex in seat 5-1 (5th car, front row) for the best ride. Flight Deck (Top Gun) usually has a station wait or less, even on busy days. Invertigo will probably have a line all day, so that might be one you just have to grin and bare it if you aren't there for the morning ERT. Other than that, Delirium is a good flat, and White Water Canyon is a great water ride if you like those.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Thanks for posting that as I've been checking every once in a while waiting for them to be released. Overall, they are pretty creative for a now generic themed water park, and I noticed some of the attractions share the same name as similar attractions at KD's WaterWorks (Tidal Wave Bay, Zoom Flume, ect.).

I am glad to see them come up with a name for the tornado slide ("Mondo Monsoon") rather than just naming it "Tornado".