TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I am a little surprised they didn't do a Rocky Mountain treatment, but it probably was in bad shape for being closed for so long.

If the wood they used on Son of Beast was as cheap as I think it was, Rocky Mountain probably wouldn't have been able to use the existing structure at all. They'd essentially have to build a new attraction (not that that's a bad thing), but they could possibly have used the concrete footers.

I am a little surprised they didn't do a Rocky Mountain treatment, but it probably was in bad shape for being closed for so long.

If the wood they used on Son of Beast was as cheap as I think it was, Rocky Mountain probably wouldn't have been able to use the existing structure at all. They'd essentially have to build a new attraction (not that that's a bad thing), but they could possibly have used the concrete footers.

Even if they could do something, I think a steel coaster would be a better idea overall.

The queue line itself is very short for a coaster of that size in a park that size, so a picture with it overflowing is deceiving to what the actual popularity and wait times are. True, the capacity of this ride doesn't warrant an extremely long queue, but the queue is still very short. As you can see, the fences are not for temporary overflow, they are built for a common occurence. Vortex is aging, and while many may still enjoy it (including myself), it would come as no surprise if/when they annouce its retirement.

^They (or at least the rumor mill) sure did a good job of teasing us about a potential overhaul for a while. I think many of us agreed that it was probably a lost cause, though.

The issue with doing anything with SOB from the very beginning is that the redesigns that have been done of the couple rides to make them different use the same basic structure... and therein lies the problem. Son of Beast doesn't... er, didn't really have much more that you could have done. The structure of the ride is SO big already and honestly so dull that there really isn't much that you could do to liven it up. The points when it could have actually done something different - like the lead up to the loop - it was going back through the structure and would have required ridiculous changes to the ride.

Not that I'm not a bing fan of the beast but it would nice to see some of the track redone and have some of those trim breaks removed or make them so they don't slow down the ride as much...

That would be nice. It is rather slow. That's the one thing that stood out when I rode it for the first time.

1343425516_4.jpg.4957927ca6078148caaa95fd02ec793d.jpg

Son of Beast is now completely gone!

http://telly.com/64M9H

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=SOB_comes_down_evtz[/coastertube]

http://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland

665843_10151508579808368_1193646449_o.thumb.jpg.bfe8b8b567beb5caf05f15cea475c881.jpg

690193969.thumb.jpg.84601ef8b0e6daa58a3f3b9215749e0f.jpg

The lift hill after it hit the ground.

pki10_249.jpg.eb6507561d13bf9272e67c7b64da95be.jpg

A final glimpse at what the ride once looked like with the loop...

dsc_0394_205.jpg.435b689e047ca3fc5f6906add9f1190a.jpg

And without the loop.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Despite being of the rare crowd who actually liked it (Note: Only the looping version, and pretty much only for that gimmick alone) I'm freaking ecstatic to see it fall.

If outlaw run turns out to be as crazy as it looks, maybe RMC Could pull off a woodie with a proper vertical loop.

This is great.

Normally when a coaster is torn down people develop this nostalgic fondness for it and talk about how "it wasn't so bad" despite the fact that it was and they probably hated it when it was still in operation (I'm guilty of this with the Great American Scream Machine) . I'm so glad we haven't had to put up with any of that crap for this ride. This ride was horrible. If there is a hell, I'd imagine it would involve riding this coaster over and over without ever being able to get off. Other than the Great Adventure Viper this is the worst coaster I've ever ridden, but unlike Viper I rode it multiple times trying not to hate it and hoping to figure out what all the hype was about. Each time was more terrible than the last.

EDIT: Nevermind, while I was typing this someone said they liked it.