TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The decision to run both sides of the Racer forward again after 26 years with one side facing backward was made in an effort to be consistent with other Cedar Fair parks.

That's not a valid reason! That makes absolutely NO SENSE at all. I'd like to know what the real reason is for doing this.

And how many racing coasters does Cedar Fair own outside of the ex-Paramount Parks? Gemini?

The only benefit I can see to them doing this is an opprotunity to only have to run one side at a time on slower days. Since there is no longer an "attraction" to running the other side (the backwards one) it doesn't really matter if they just run one side now.

--Robb

^ while chances are that this is VERY true. I have talked to the area supervisor for my area at carowinds. Afterburn, Southern Star, Thunder road, ect. and he was saying he wants both of them run at all times, racing no matter what, so... we will just have to wait and see.

He had also said the reason for facing them forwards was because they were putting excessive stress on the track.

He had also said the reason for facing them forwards was because they were putting excessive stress on the track.

That makes little to no sense. It's not like the train will weigh less by changing their direction.

I'd almost bet money that Robb hit the nail on the head with this one. I guess we'll find out on the slow days.

^ While I don't really understand the logic either, that was also one of the reasons SFGAm gave for not running American Eagle backwards anymore. My guess would be that its not so much the weight as it is the dynamics of a backwards train. Also, the undersides of the cars might difer from front to back. That said, whether its a legitimate reason or not, CF isn't the first to use that excuse.

I heard a rumor about this last year.

Just more evidence that CF is the a$$hole of the industry.

Couldn't agree with you more!

It's the whole 'machine/corporate/brainwash' thing that unfortunately, is a BIG part of the United States Of America.

I was lucky to work on the Blue Streak before it was neutered and lost it's 'classic status'.

To me turning around the Racer is a slightly less crime than removing the last hill, adding awful ratchet lapbars, ugly headrests and seat dividers. The damage was done along time ago, I'm afraid.

Wow, you can tell this is a coaster site - nothing but moaning about just about everything.

I remember both sides of KI's Racer being very rough, but it's nothing to do with the direction you face. It's simply due to the oversupported nature of most wood coasters these days. John Allen built a typical 9' spaced structure, but over time the maintenance people decided there needed to be a few more bents put in to lower track maintenance and hey presto, a spine jarring ride. It's a common trait with the corporate parks, CF is no exception - and apart from this issue, I've enjoyed their parks I've visited.

Backwards riding is fun, I used to ride the Texas Tornado at Morecambe as a kid and often rode the backwards front car. It's seen as a safety issue today as the coasters weren't designed with backwards riding in mind - not that they'd be structurally any different if they were - it's just something that insurance people don't like. A shame, but not the end of the world by any means. I sometimes wonder whether coaster enthusiasts actually live in the real world...

Hmmm.... I have an Engineering degree and have ridden quite a few coasters, and I don't find the 'more supports more rough' to be true at all.

Have you been on Viper at Great America? Amazing ride, amazingly fast forceful and smooth. And almost NO new wood since it was built.

Sokay to disagree, I just don't see that being valid. If the track/trains are maintained properly, the ride should NOT be painful. It's about 50/50 in the states. About 50 percent of woodies have uncomfortable spots (MOST six flags woodies have downright painful spots - I can speak for back cracking rides on Predator and GA Cyclone - formerly a top ride).

I don't have a link to the quote, but the president of PTC stated that PCT Trains should not run Backwards.

I wish I had more info on that, though

I think it's more of an insurance and warranty reason than anything, but I am no expert.

• 4 months later...

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio - The biggest and most exciting new attraction in Kings Island's 36-year history, a 5,282-foot long steel hyper roller coaster named Diamondback, will change the landscape for thrill seekers when the ride makes its debut in April 2009.

Diamondback will be the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster at Kings Island. The ride will stand 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet at a 74 degree angle and reach speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour. The ride features 10 vertical drops overall including drops of 193, 131, 129, 110 and 106 feet, two helixes - one at 323 degrees and the other at 287 degrees - and a spectacular splashdown ending. The ride experience on Diamondback will last more than three heart-pounding minutes.

"This ride is big - real big - intense and aggressive," said Greg Scheid, Kings Island's vice president and general manager. "Not only are the statistics of the ride awesome, but its use of the rugged natural terrain and spectacular splashdown ending ensures that no other roller coaster tops these thrills."

The trains on Diamondback will feature unique, open-air stadium-style seating that will allow riders to experience an unobstructed view of all the thrills and excitement on one of the world's best roller coasters. Kings Island will be the first park in the United States with trains of this style on a roller coaster.

Diamondback will be located in the western themed Rivertown area of the park and will prey over flat land, woods, water and rocks, slithering along nearly one mile of track through gut-wrenching drops, twists and turns, leaving riders feeling snake bitten.

"The western diamondback is the king of all rattlesnakes with a fearsome reputation," Scheid said. "They're big, mean, aggressive and terrifying. The name Diamondback accurately conveys the image of the characteristics of the coaster as it resembles that of a coiled snake ready to strike."

Diamondback will be the biggest investment in Kings Island's 36-year history at $22 million dollars and will be the park's 15th world-class roller coaster.

Construction is currently underway. Because of its location park visitors can see the ride being built from the ground up. Those who cannot wait until 2009 may take a virtual ride on Diamondback at kidiamondback.com. Visitors to kidiamondback.com may also access exclusive Diamondback updates and features, including virtual renderings, ride statistics and much more.

Diamondback was designed by Bolliger and Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland, a recognized industry leader in roller coaster development.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located in Las Vegas, and operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

misc_redtrain_109.jpg.78d8558fcb1857f0f12c13d453183648.jpg

render_splashdown_701.jpg.e85c69efdeaed08926ee61f3e932e46c.jpg

render_povdrop_169.jpg.48ffc0874f34fb86bd4d5eed58668bc2.jpg

render_horizon_1_186.jpg.a2c11a52a02551eefd63e083f8109f79.jpg

Edited by larrygator

I think the name is cool and the logo is just freakin awesome. I haven't been to KI in a long time but this will get me back there, Diamondback and night rides on The Beast summer 09.

I hope when we get a Hyper down here in Florida it's anything like this, come on Busch Gardens.