TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Centurion: GCI woodie with 100* overbank and possibly a 0g roll. GCI said they'd like to try an inversion and I think that this is their chance

Why are people still saying, "Centurion"? I thought it was common knowledge that the trademark for Centurion was not accepted because someone else already owns the name?

Nope! Cedar Fair still owns the trademark to Centurion since 2013 and actually just recently filed for an extension as of May 2016 (and it was granted): http://www.trademarkia.com/centurion-86094874.html

With that said, Banshee is not owned by Cedar Fair but rather Kings Island Park LLC. So I do not think Centurion would be the name of this ride as it is not trademarked with the other rides in the park, but rather the chain overall (not to mention it does not fit any of the teasers or anything to do with the woods at all).

OK, I'm extremely confused because I *know* I read on that same webpage a couple of years ago that the trademark was suspended. Did Cedar Fair purchase the rights?

No clue! I never remember seeing that but do know some people reported it as such. Not sure what happened but I'm assuming something will happen with the name eventually (or hopefully, because that's a decent penny to spend on something and not use it!)

^As for the comments on the Livestream. Yeah...I had to exit out of the comment stream. That and a lot of the comments are repeated and just ridiculous.

From a media standpoint this is an odd time for the announcement with the final night of the DNC going on right now. Usually big KI announcements are the top story in the Cincinnati area (and all of Ohio), so I hope this doesn't get too overshadowed by all the political talk for Don Helbig and crew.

Centurion: GCI woodie with 100* overbank and possibly a 0g roll. GCI said they'd like to try an inversion and I think that this is their chance

Why are people still saying, "Centurion"? I thought it was common knowledge that the trademark for Centurion was not accepted because someone else already owns the name?

Nope! Cedar Fair still owns the trademark to Centurion since 2013 and actually just recently filed for an extension as of May 2016 (and it was granted): http://www.trademarkia.com/centurion-86094874.html

With that said, Banshee is not owned by Cedar Fair but rather Kings Island Park LLC. So I do not think Centurion would be the name of this ride as it is not trademarked with the other rides in the park, but rather the chain overall (not to mention it does not fit any of the teasers or anything to do with the woods at all).

OK, I'm extremely confused because I *know* I read on that same webpage a couple of years ago that the trademark was suspended. Did Cedar Fair purchase the rights?

No clue! I never remember seeing that but do know some people reported it as such. Not sure what happened but I'm assuming something will happen with the name eventually (or hopefully, because that's a decent penny to spend on something and not use it!)

I certainly saw it so the people who reported it are not just bringing that up out of thin air. Cedar Fair may have fought it (or bought it).

New roller coaster coming to Kings Island

MASON, Ohio – Construction is underway on a new wooden roller coaster adventure for visitors to Kings Island.

Themed to an area surrounding a lumber company becoming overrun by a mysterious medusa-like overgrowth of vines as nature reclaims its land, Mystic Timbers will be 3,265 feet in length, reach 109 feet in height and weave along steep cliffs, down ravines, cross over water and go through an extreme S-turn, among a forest of trees, at speeds up to 53 mph.

The ride will feature a total of 16 airtime hills, a mid-course tunnel and interact with parts of the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad and White Water Canyon attractions.

“Mystic Timbers is naturally exciting because of its setting in a densely wooded area,” Kings Island’s vice-president and general manager Greg Scheid said. “The natural rugged terrain and tunnel ensures a unique and memorable ride experience.”

Mystic Timbers is custom designed and built for the topography of Kings Island by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Three trains will accommodate 24 passengers each (four riders per car and six cars per train) with a capacity of 1,200 riders per hour. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride. The ride experience will last more than two minutes.

“Everyone who enjoys the fun and thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience this attraction,” Scheid said.

Mystic Timbers will debut in the spring of 2017 and become Kings Island’s 16th roller coaster and its fourth wooden.

With the addition of Mystic Timbers, Kings Island’s wooden roller coasters will combine to measure 18,804 feet of track, which will be the most at any amusement or theme park in the world.

Those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Mystic Timbers at mystictimbers.visitkingsisland.com. Visitors of the website may also access exclusive updates and features, including virtual ride renderings, ride statistics, construction photos and a live Web cam.

1976268054_ScreenShot2016-07-28at23_01_26.thumb.png.17c26c45eb9d9e92145e53a778e5b147.png

MT_Layout.thumb.png.b37fb09e53acf4167e8ed1de7beb8974.png

MT_FirstDrop.thumb.jpg.e6fa5b18a4ac1aba5b2133a2894b642a.jpg

MT_RiverPass.thumb.jpg.7bffffce3a003a5791066ebeeadefee4.jpg

MT_Shed.thumb.jpg.de60e586b8531bb176b195671d5ec51e.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Man, I'm actually kinda pissed it isn't called Splinter Cat.

Anyway, I had plans to visit the park this year that fell through. A GCI woodie added to their already solid sounding line-up is certainly the impetus to try and rekindle those plans for next year.

So everyone is thinking drop track.....I can see that on a steel coaster as it is easier to have the rails line up and a lot less structure to deal with. I am having trouble seeing this pulled off on a wooden coaster. Unless it travels onto some sort of "bridge" steel structure for that part. I really think it would require precise measurements for the track to lineup with a wooden train.