TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Back when the Beast had the old skid breaks and it had rained you could get a ride like the trims where off.

Ah yes! We were just discussing The Beast in the old days on another forum. Someone described it as "Mister Hyde" when you raced through the shed and the brakes didn't touch. The first time I got one of those rides, it scared the living crap out of me. It was literally frightening. The train felt like it was going to rip from the track. Beast rides after that for me were tainted with the thought of "is this going to be another low-to-no brake ride?" I got a couple more "Mister Hyde" rides over the next few years, but the chance of that seemed to stop (in my experience) in the early 90s. We would go down to KI when we worked at Cedar Point, and that's when I (very sadly) lost interest in the Beast. Looking back, it's legacy had already been firmly established, so "the legend lives on." Isn't that about when the clamp brakes were installed - the early 90s?

Back then, you could brag about your Beast ride to other geeks, telling them which car made it past the "phone booth" on the wnd lift before engaging the train.

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

Found this awesome video of the Beast on youtube today.

Wow, that POV is so different from today. The forest really adds to the ride experience. Were the 4-row cars ever used after it was opened to the public or were those just the test trains?

^ While I can understand them getting rid of Thunder Alley to make way for a new ride, it worries me a little that it would leave Congo Falls as the only "family" friendly ride in that section of the park, depending on what they in fact do with that area. As far as the Luminosity rumor, I think it could be a great addition for the park.

Just out of curiosity - how vital is Timberwolf Amphitheater? Seems like the biggest waste of space in Action Zone as it's only used like, what 2-3 times a season? Looking down from Drop Tower you can tell it's seen better days. They could possibly re-route Flight Deck's entrance to the Invertigo side of Action Zone.

Thunder Alley's location would be good for a coaster station or a couple of flat rides.

^ While I can understand them getting rid of Thunder Alley to make way for a new ride, it worries me a little that it would leave Congo Falls as the only "family" friendly ride in that section of the park, depending on what they in fact do with that area.

Including Oktoberfest, Viking Fury is still a family ride. It's also the lowest height requirement in the area - 40", compared to Congo Falls' 46" (or Drop Tower's, Adventure Express', and Flight Deck's 48"). If they added any new rides in the area, then some more family friendly ones would be perfect. That, or lower some height requirements - Adventure Express had a 44" height requirement, without seatbelts, for over a decade before being raised a few years ago.

KI and the rest of the USA need this in there theme parks. Dualing dragons at happy valley(AKA dueling dragons)

They already have Racer, I don't see any excuse to build another racing/dueling set of coasters.

Saw the crane the other day while driving past the park. Got excited for something exciting in 2014.

What a difference a day makes. Last night park was empty but tonight there is a traffic jam on 71 north getting into the park. 741 just North of the park was backed up heading towards the park. I know Toyota was there all day but lots more people headed in around 7. I think tonight could be rival the 4th of July crowds.