Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1626 - A look at Winterfest
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Aceattack52 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 am

smartestcoasterkidever! wrote:I'm an Arrow fan boy, won't lie. But the fact of the matter is, coasters have life spans. Vortex will be around for a bit longer, but it will be gone eventually. No one really knows yet when that'll be. My hope is that with today's technology, older rides can be refurbished to get more life out of them. Not necessarily as dramatic as Steel Phantom into Phantom's Revenge, or the RMC coasters in Texas, but just something that keeps the attraction going, especially if it's still popular.

This got me thinking about Mindbender at SFOG. It's been around for so long now. (Since 1978) It is still a great ride and always has been, but you said that all coasters have lifespans. When will Mindbender's usable lifetime end?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 am

Aceattack52 wrote:
smartestcoasterkidever! wrote:I'm an Arrow fan boy, won't lie. But the fact of the matter is, coasters have life spans. Vortex will be around for a bit longer, but it will be gone eventually. No one really knows yet when that'll be. My hope is that with today's technology, older rides can be refurbished to get more life out of them. Not necessarily as dramatic as Steel Phantom into Phantom's Revenge, or the RMC coasters in Texas, but just something that keeps the attraction going, especially if it's still popular.

This got me thinking about Mindbender at SFOG. It's been around for so long now. (Since 1978) It is still a great ride and always has been, but you said that all coasters have lifespans. When will Mindbender's usable lifetime end?

Fortunately, the only issue Mind Bender would have is the trains aging. That can be fixed by getting new ones from Gerstlaur.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Kings Island has sent us a press advisory as work continues to prep the park for its 2013 season!

Ride technicians rebuild a car for the yellow train on the Woodstock Express roller coaster Monday at Kings Island. The wooden roller coaster is located in the 12-time, award-winning Planet Snoopy kids’ area of the 364-acre amusement and waterpark and has given more than 43 million rides since it opened in 1972, the fourth-most in park history behind the Racer (97 million), K.I. & Miami Valley Railroad (50 million) and The Beast (47 million). Kings Island opens for the 2013 season April 27.
KI_2013_Maint.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Seems like this year will be a really great year for Kings Island! I love how they are focusing on the little things like ride maintenance and improving the restaurant in Rivertown. I can't wait to visit this summer!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Aceattack52 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 pm

simaticable wrote:
Aceattack52 wrote:

Fortunately, the only issue Mind Bender would have is the trains aging. That can be fixed by getting new ones from Gerstlaur.

I know, it's really nice Gerstlaur is making new trains for the Schwarkopfs. Hershey Park got the new trains for SooperDooperLooper and they really look fantastic.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby TyRush » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 pm

SDL's trains make it so much smoother!
If Intamin made a donkey, it wouldn't be tame.....well for a year

Visit our Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group page! www.psuthemeparkengineering.com/

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby 3Mutts » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:07 pm

^ I agree, the new trains definetly make the ride seem less clunky than the old ones. Also those new magnetic brakes help aswell.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Psst.

Six Flags Over Georgia Discussion Thread

I personally wouldn't give the Racer its 97 million total based on both tracks. They should break it up to rides per side, considering that it's not a möbius loop.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Lareson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Kings Island has been fairly quiet on the social media end of things, posting a couple pics on Twitter, but Facebook has been pretty quiet. I did see though that on the 14th they did post that work was being done on Racer this year, including the queue and station. I did find though that the blue side last year was brutal, as it's so far the only coaster to leave a visible bruise on my arm, so hopefully there's going to be some new track on both sides.

Did find this image that they posted on Twitter pretty cool, showing the wooden coaster parts stock. I can point out a couple of the parts here too! Did notice though that they still had the ride number for Son Of Beast listed there. Can't imagine they have many parts of that left. No idea what they're going to do with the trains either as Cedar Fair doesn't own any other wooden coaster with Gerstlauer trains so it's not like they can part the parts off to another park. Maybe they'll sell them to a Six Flags park since they still have a few of those trains running.
The man may keep me down but opinions are my own.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Fat-G » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:15 pm

^ It would be kinda hard to as the trains were modified heavily for operation on S.O.B. Also a lot of S.O.B is scattered throughout the park, for example a couple of the breaks on Adventure Express are from S.O.B. I'm sure that most of the parts can be used for the other wooden coasters in the park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!