TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I don't understand why people keep saying "I sure hope this is nice and intense like the old-school B&M inverts!" I mean I get the point in hoping, you can hope for anything, but... it's not going to happen, right? I mean I hate to be a downer but why would that ever even be a possibility? Why would B&M suddenly revert back to a product they haven't delivered in years? I hope no one thinks they'd do it to please the enthusiast crowd. We might as well go back to hoping it's a racing giga.

Kings Island has sent us a press release announcing the start of a brand new Behind the Scenes tour of the Beast taking place this month for the Kings Island for the Cure campaign.

Have you ever wanted to get an up close and personal look at the longest wooden roller coaster in the world? Now here’s your chance!

Behind the scenes tours of the legendary Beast roller coaster at Kings Island are available August 1-24 as part of the fourth annual Kings Island for the Cure campaign.

Tickets for the 30-minute tour are just $25 when purchased in advance online at visitkingsisland.com.

Beast tour tickets can also be purchased at the park for $30.

Guests learn interesting tidbits about the ride during the tour, such as the Beast was completely designed and constructed by Kings Island personnel, and how the original design was modified so many times the final product looked nothing like the one envisioned when the project began. The tour also provides plenty of great video and photo opportunities.

All proceeds from the Beast tours go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure Greater Cincinnati. Since 2010, the Kings Island for the Cure campaign has raised nearly $600,000 in the fight against breast cancer.

Park admission to Kings Island is required to take the Beast tour.

Be sure to take advantage of this exciting opportunity and help out a great cause!

TheBeast_001.thumb.jpg.971041dd44b94b79d40e6bcb6f20da19.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I don't understand why people keep saying "I sure hope this is nice and intense like the old-school B&M inverts!" I mean I get the point in hoping, you can hope for anything, but... it's not going to happen, right? I mean I hate to be a downer but why would that ever even be a possibility? Why would B&M suddenly revert back to a product they haven't delivered in years? I hope no one thinks they'd do it to please the enthusiast crowd. We might as well go back to hoping it's a racing giga.

Ride Shambhala and tell me in good faith it is floater only...

Tatsu's station counts as 1 block.

But why? You can't have two trains in the same block and If they're operating both stations, there will almost always be 2 trains in the station block...

Gosh, this is really hard to explain. I know exactly how it works, but typing it makes it not seem to make sense... Here's my best shot:

The station is both a single block and two blocks. It's a single block because in the progression of a train on the ride, you will never get to go from one station to another without going through the other blocks first. In other words, you can't go station (left), lift, station (right), first brakes, second brakes, station (left), so the ride acts as if it is not a separate block...

However, obviously if one of the stations is empty, the ride can send the next train into the proper station for it to sit there. More or less, for the purposes of the units on the track, once it has parked in the station it 'disappears' until it is sent out again...

Oh heck, that doesn't sound right either. Hope someone can sort of get what I'm saying here.

The evolution of B&Ms blocking system is actually rather interesting, as their early rides blocked in a different way then their newer rides do. I'm not sure exactly when the change happened, but older B&M rides do not allow the trains to advance into a block unless the block directly in front of it is clear. Newer ones make an exception to this - they will advance the train directly behind the other in the station block. It totally makes sense from a capacity standpoint (and it does other stuff too, all good, at basically no risk), but it actually helps to disguise the exact blocking of the rides a little bit.

I'll stop going into the nerd stuff now. In totally other news, I'll FINALLY be hitting King's Island on August 15th. Originally, I was going to be there on a Saturday and was planning on getting Fast Lane passes. Will it be just as important on August 15th? I realize that some other parks like Holiday World have stopped operating by that point. I was planning on buying in advance to make sure that I had them, should I just wait? Thoughts from the experts in riding? It's been years, and although I know the nerd stuff, I just want to RIDE this time

Seriously though, I have two cousins who are engineers and I had them watch this video. They said that no regular person can come up with site plans like this. You gotta have the right printers and CAD systems to even come close to something that's this detailed. If they're fake, I'm willing to bet this guy is some type of engineer or works in some engineering office.

Yeah I am an architect and these plans are for sure real. Now that being said that doesn't mean this is the final layout (or the layout at all) of the ride, but it's definitely actual drawings. And based on the sheet setup and names of the sheets it appears that this set is far beyond the stage o f schematic design for the ride and is a construction set meaning it is fully designed and engineered.

As for the misspelling, you'd be surprised. We get drawings from engineers, surveyors, etc. all the time with spelling mistakes. And we send drawings to permit and then realize there are spelling mistakes. These drawings are made by humans, and therefore spelling mistakes happen.

It very well may not be the final layout. I know The Gravity Group likes to tweek their designs while the ride is being built. Of course, every company has their own way of doing things.

I would gladly bet a large sum of money on this coaster being a slightly taller, just as forceless Alpengeist. If anybody would like to take me up on that.

Not saying you are wrong. I agree that recent beemers are NOT Dragon Khan. But my conviction is, if a park asks them for kickass forces, money will buy anything. Just like intamin will deliver soft rides if required. Think about Sheeta.

^I agree they'd be capable of building such a ride, but consider who's asking them to build it. Do we have any reason to think CF would ask them to make it intense? As far as I can see all evidence points to the contrary.

Some new pictures someone took of the steel plant. Possibly new track laying out there?

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Kat_thecatlover/media/KI%202014%20Coaster/IMG_3473.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

It looks as if that is new invert or flying track due to the curved cross ties.

Beat me to it! But indeed so!

I was gonna say because there's obviously an inverted loop in the back...but that works too

^I agree they'd be capable of building such a ride, but consider who's asking them to build it. Do we have any reason to think CF would ask them to make it intense? As far as I can see all evidence points to the contrary.

Raptor I'd for sure consider old school and intense. As with Talon. They also asked for I305, no?

Raptor I'd for sure consider old school and intense. As with Talon. They also asked for I305, no?

*sigh* Rapter and Talon ARE old-school B&M, they were both created over a decade ago. I305 is built by Intamin. B&M hasn't built an intense ride for CF or practically anyone else in a long time. They have a specific product they've developed, the floaty forceless rides everyone complains about (that are also comfortable, reliable, and have lots of mass-market appeal), and that's what parks go to them to build. If anyone can give me any reason to think that will not be the case this time around, I'm all ears.

^ Agreed. What would be the point of a dual station if you can only have one train in either station at a time?

Because its Six Flags Magic Mountain. Seriously, I would imagine the dual station is for high-volume days (or thats how SF uses it), like the 4th of July. Of course, Tatsu seems to be the most popular ride in the park along with X2, so I don't know why it isn't used already.

Why is there so much pessimism about the ride? I'm trying to look on the bright side of things and am just glad that there is a new coaster on the way for KI. Since HW isn't planning on building a steel coaster for a while, this is the next closest park I've got and am excited whether there are forces or not.

Tatsu's station counts as 1 block.

But why? You can't have two trains in the same block and If they're operating both stations, there will almost always be 2 trains in the station block...

Gosh, this is really hard to explain. I know exactly how it works, but typing it makes it not seem to make sense... Here's my best shot:

The station is both a single block and two blocks. It's a single block because in the progression of a train on the ride, you will never get to go from one station to another without going through the other blocks first. In other words, you can't go station (left), lift, station (right), first brakes, second brakes, station (left), so the ride acts as if it is not a separate block...

However, obviously if one of the stations is empty, the ride can send the next train into the proper station for it to sit there. More or less, for the purposes of the units on the track, once it has parked in the station it 'disappears' until it is sent out again...

Oh heck, that doesn't sound right either. Hope someone can sort of get what I'm saying here.

The evolution of B&Ms blocking system is actually rather interesting, as their early rides blocked in a different way then their newer rides do. I'm not sure exactly when the change happened, but older B&M rides do not allow the trains to advance into a block unless the block directly in front of it is clear. Newer ones make an exception to this - they will advance the train directly behind the other in the station block. It totally makes sense from a capacity standpoint (and it does other stuff too, all good, at basically no risk), but it actually helps to disguise the exact blocking of the rides a little bit.

This is exactly right. The station is basically 1 block split in 2 as it has 2 separate tracks. Most (If not, All) dual-station coasters operate on this same principal. CA Screamin @ DCA is another example.

On topic: I truly do hope Stengel is involved in this coaster. Might be another reason for me to visit Ohio again.

Why is there so much pessimism about the ride? I'm trying to look on the bright side of things and am just glad that there is a new coaster on the way for KI. Since HW isn't planning on building a steel coaster for a while, this is the next closest park I've got and am excited whether there are forces or not.

I just enjoy being antagonistic, don't mind me. I'd certainly take a forceless invert over a forceless any other kind of coaster, or no coaster at all.

Since HW isn't planning on building a steel coaster for a while

I don't remember them ever saying that...

But yea, I'm super excited for my first trip to Kings Island next year even if it isn't the most forceful coaster. I just love a good ride.

I just enjoy being antagonistic, don't mind me. I'd certainly take a forceless invert over a forceless any other kind of coaster, or no coaster at all.

I find it better to be happily surprised than let down.

Who knows, my guess is that it will be about as good as Oziris or Black Mamba, which isn't as good as Montu, but definitely better than Patriot. But I guess Cedar Fair DID build both Patriot and Silver Bullet, so I guess we'll see...

This is exactly right. The station is basically 1 block split in 2 as it has 2 separate tracks. Most (If not, All) dual-station coasters operate on this same principal. CA Screamin @ DCA is another example.

The only one that I can think of that potentially wouldn't operate on this same principal is the pair of Freeze coasters only because each train never enters the same series of blocks (which, being a shuttle coaster, is basically just "one" anyway), but that is due strictly to the fact that the trains would not "switch" stations during operation.

Having said that, it's a totally unique situation because it is a shuttle coaster where each transfer track is probably blocked as it's own ride, and since that is the only block for the ride, it makes sense to be set up differently.

Actually, just thought of one more - as I recall, Space Mountain at WCW loads multiple trains at the exact same time, which is arguably a dual station coaster, so it would theoretically block the dual loading station differently, but that is because it's a wholly different principal than Tatsu, just like Freeze is.

Wow, that took a turn... sorry Anyone have any ideas about my Fast Lane thinking?