TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I want to Kings Island yesterday to. I wanted to get my cedar fairs pass and also ride db.

First thoughts, It looks really good towing over the park. I thought since you could get in early with a pass that it would be testing when i got there about 345. But it was not kinda shocked me. Once i got all my paper work taken care of. i made my way back to db. I wanted to knock it out first not knowing how long the line would end up. Got there a little after 5, Walked to line about a 5 min wait. The ride looks really cool running all the way back to the end of the park. The water splash down area also ends a nice new look to the area.

My first ride was in the middle of the train since the girl working would not let me wait for the front. SO I get in sit down. Really like the trains. Seats are nice and don’t hurt or uncountable for some one 6'6".

My thoughts after the ride, I was really really disappointed. Everyone talked about how good it was. i got off and was like well that sucked. First drop was good but feels smaller when your going over it then it is. Then after that there was no air time really no speed hammerhead turn sucked-slow force less.

So after being disappointed I just wanted to walk around the park and just rode everything else and just walked around and enjoy the nice day that we had yesterday .

So after ridding everything in about two hours. I just thought I will try to get a few more rides on it so that I could find out if it was really that bad or just a bad seat.

Ride 2. This time I need to ride in the front. So I waited about 15 min at the most for my front row ride. The view from the front is really good. The drop this time was a lot stronger and faster. the next few hill gave me a lot of crazy air time. The hammerhead was a lot stronger. And found my self enjoying the ride a lot more.

ride 3. Want for row 16 the back. The ride in the back is fun. you get thrown over the hill and get a lot of air time as well. mcbr are light and get some more floating air. the final helix at the end before the splashdown sucks slow and force less. In all seats. The water splash down is really big but did get me a little wet on the lift side back seat.

Overall thoughts. the best ride in the park hands down. run ride differently think it passed magnum on my list. but that’s it not the best steel ride ever but a good one. After thinking about my first ride. i think since it was so early in the day the train and wheels had not warmed up yet, so that why it was running super slow. And that’s why the trims were off and just putted around the track. Also this maybe the quietest ride I have ever been on.

over all I get it a 7.5 or 8 good ride for the park and adds a lot to the park and area as well.

Dude, spell check, please.

Went to Kings Island on Sunday the 26th

Diamondback - 30 min. wait

Rode in the very back. First hill was great. Definitely not as good as MF's first hill as I've heard some people say. Also, I am a person that doesn't really care for airtime that much. Airtime is good, but Speed and Height are what I prefer. I was actually disappointed in the height. It really didn't look all that big from any angles. In person, the first hill looked like it was around the size of Mavericks... obviously it isn't, but did look that way. The speed was pretty good at first, but didn't seem all that fast through the rest of the ride. Airtime was good. Got wet on the splashdown.

Overall I think Diamondback is easily the best ride at the park. However, I don't believe it was anywhere near the perfect reviews its been gettin. In my book it would be around the 4th or 5th best ride in Ohio. Very solid ride that is way overhyped. but then again, airtime doesn't really do anything much for me

I finally got my chance to ride Diamondback yesterday. Let me tell you guys, I was VERY impressed. I only rode it once in the back seat, but I LOVED the ride. The first drop is incredible in the back. You are THROWN and given some serious airtime for a good 1 1/2 seconds. Every other drop gave great floater air all the way down. The ride rode very smoothly (other than some vibration, but that's bearable). The helix into the MCBR was really fun. The splashdown got my arm wet, which felt sorta nice.

Kings Island, thank you for building this!

Diamondback is definitely the best ride in the park.

This looks to be like another winner and it looks just like what Kings Island needed. Cedar Fair seems to have made some really good decisions and investments with new coasters this year with Diamondback and Prowler at Worlds Of Fun. I just wish we could get one of these B&M Hypers out here on the West Coast.....I'd love to see one of these at Knott's, if it would fit.

This looks to be like another winner and it looks just like what Kings Island needed. Cedar Fair seems to have made some really good decisions and investments with new coasters this year with Diamondback and Prowler at Worlds Of Fun. I just wish we could get one of these B&M Hypers out here on the West Coast.....I'd love to see one of these at Knott's, if it would fit.

If what I have heard is true, we could get one at Knott's.

As you said, it's a matter of fitting it in. However, I could see them crossing the street if need be. They've already done it with GhostRider.

Sincerely,

R.C.

I finally got to my home park today and rode Diamondback. The first thing I noticed were the trains - best train and seat design I have ever seen. They are very comfortable, very open, yet very safe (from how they felt at least).

The second thing I noticed was the quietness and smoothness of the ride - it is as smooth as butter!

Other than that, I don't think it really lived up to the hype. I did get to ride in the front and back seats and it definitely is better in the front or back. Then again, I didn't get to ride it very late in the day or at night. I will definitely have to ride it at night very soon.

I was also very impressed with the capacity of the ride and the quickness of the line. Hopefully the line will continue to be this quick throughout the summer.

I am going to go ahead and say it is not the best ride in the park in my book. Maybe it is because I am a fan of inversions or because I haven't ridden it late in the day or at night. We shall see...

• 2 weeks later...

Two quick questions. First, there's a possibility that I might be able to hit up the park this Sunday, and was wondering how the crowds have been the past weekend or so? Also, does Kings Island have any coupons or coke can promotions going on right now?

Thanks! Can't wait to try out Diamondback!

Your best discount would be to order tickets online.

I visited the park on April 25th (a Saturday), and there were hour waits for most of the major attractions. Sundays, however, are usually MUCH better!

As posted above, just buy online, you have two choices when you do that.

!. pay 33 dollars for one day

2. pay 47 for two days (doesn't have to be back to back).

i believe you can take a coke can to the gate and get discounted tickets though.

• 1 month later...

So I check my Twitter today and notice my friend posted this.

"son of beast is closed for the year?.. what a shame. the front seat of the blue train is so smooth.. i was startin 2 appreciate that ride."

Than 5 Minutes later I get a Text saying

"So I go to KI today and was about to enter Top Gun when I notice Son of Beast had a sign infront of it's entrance saying it's closed for the Season"

Now I start to believe this rumor, and I ask more people and they all say SOB really has a sign infront of it. So I call KI. I asked if Son of Beast is really closed she said yes, I asked if it will reopen this season and she said she hasn't heard anything yet, and it's probably a rumor.

I really hope it's not true, Cause as some of you may know I love SOB, it's my second favorite Wooden Coaster at KI (Racer #1)

Do you think they could reuse some of the materials to make a new coaster?

If they could do that get a Plug-N-Play or GCI and name it "Revenge Of The Beast" or something. Or just call it Son Of Beast. Most GP wouldnt notice the difference.

TEar it Down....Something of quality could go in there instead of that pile of firewood.

Have you ridden Son of Beast lately?

YEs, I rode it on the 31st of May, it was rough (I never rode it in looping days), and the lift hill was one of the loudest I have heard. WAsn't very enjoyable.

I don't know what you were smoking OP, but Son of Beast is a terrible coaster when I rode it a week ago. You better be sitting alone on that ride, otherwise your going to be hitting each other all over the place on that first helix. I've never had so much of a headache then after riding that ride. Besides, it's nothing without the loop.

I'd rater see an Invert or a floorless go there instead. I have no idea why a park the size of KI doesn't have a B&M invert, when you got parks with only 4-5 coasters have one. (BGE)

I really think everyone who say Son of Beast is extremely painful suffers from an extremely bad condition. Yeah Son of Beast has 1 Rough spot, but other than that, it's a great coaster and one of my favorites. If you can't take that little of pain, I don't see how you are a coaster enthusiast. I personally like when Coasters have some rough spots, Don't get me wrong I love B&Ms. But sometimes B&Ms are too smooth and I feel like I'm just on my computer watching a POV. SOB is a great Coaster, The helices are super forceful and are twice as good as Beast's awesome Double Helix. If SOB Does Reopen, Give it one more chance, Sit in the very front seat and don't lean back. Any Coaster Can be rough if you have your back against the seat.

I have a great idea: lets speculate on a topic that should be in the rumor thread while arguing with an irrational KI fanboy. Sounds like a blast.

And yes, I've been to Kings Island more than once and I think SoB is a pretty terrible coaster.