TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Inspector:'Are you the person who tried to burn the SOB?'

Guest: "No Sir. I didn't know SOB was a ride, I thought you were referring to my mother-in-law."

*Two notes in reference to my original post.

1. I wonder if it was a bad wheel bearing or the gearbox could have had some issue (overheating).

2. I heard from a couple of people that have ridden the ride recently that it actually is alot smoother now (retracking of the helix-sections) anyone can confirm?

This morning on Channel 12 here in Cincinnati they said two people who rode The Beast smelled smoke. Also they had some video of a fire truck heading back in the woods by the beast. The ride was down for one hour then reopened.

I may be slightly biased since PKI is my homepark, but SOB has it's moments when I actually like it:

1. When the park is closed.

2. When it's broken down.

3. When I'm not on it!

But...I would still rather see Mean Streak become the site for the worlds biggest weanie roast!

But...I would still rather see Mean Streak become the site for the worlds biggest weanie roast!

Oh, I have to disagree! Mean Streak is horrible and has absolutely nothing going for it, but at least you can get through it without breaking the skin! SoB is horribly painful, but Mean Streak is much less painful, not to mention boring. (IMO, IMHO, etc....)

Maybe there really is an arsonist in PKI. If there is, people will probably forgive them for burning SOB. that might be good for PKI actually. It clears up alot of land that could be used for a new coaster. cough::King Cobra::cough.

^you're about the 5 different person that said that. It "has?" been retracked, but only around the helix-sections right?

I would wonder if they take away two cars from the train it would have a different result too.

• 1 month later...

Ok - this just happened - and facts are sketchy. Two of the local channels are reporting from the park - and have showed a train stopped on the lift, empty. I am assuming that it was evacuated.

As for the other train - it appears that SOMETHING happened - and that people had to be rushed to the hospital. There was a bump - and the train stopped mid course. At least 5 people went out on stretchers - and as many as 25 could be injured.

WCPO News Coverage of Accident

I hate to see people get pwnt on Son of Beast. It is one of my favorites!

I wonder if it was another Premier train wheel breaking off the ride like on Chiller.

A few less people get to ride it now in the long run, I better sell my stocks of Tylenol, and buy more stock in Morphine for those in the hospital. I hope no one was seriously injured, no more so than a typical ride on that monstrosity.

I wonder if it was another Premier train wheel breaking off the ride like on Chiller.

A few less people get to ride it now in the long run, I better sell my stocks of Tylenol, and buy more stock in Morphine for those in the hospital. I hope no one was seriously injured, no more so than a typical ride on that monstrosity.

I could only imagine that the sudden stop was actually a relief to those on-board.

I don't think they'll need morphine so much as they'll need a good benzo for if and when PKI gives the guests free exit passes to ride again.

Matt

If the people came to a hard sudden stop, they may have thought they were riding the Beast instead of his son! Hey, its Kings Island, I'm sure the people thought it was part of the ride, until the evac team came along.

I rode SOB last year in the front seat and the car was tilting up and hitting the wood track very hard. I just hope everyone is okay. I was on a very hard e-stop on Gemini at Cedar Point. I was okay but a little girl had to be looked at.

Very interesting. I believe that it is probably stress fractures somewhere on the train. That train gets jostled around so much, with its terrible tracking, that stress fractures have got to occur.

I think the coffin has been nailed on Son of Beast. With its high operating costs, low enjoyment factor, and finally this accident, they'll just shut it down.

Please keep in mind that e-stops can only occur in brake sections, not just anywhere on the track. The trains themselves do not have any brakes on them, so they cannot stop themselves.