TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

This just in from Kings Island:

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Workmen finished installing track on the new Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island on Monday. Track piece number 129 was the final piece of track installed on the 5,282 foot-long $22 million steel coaster.

Diamondback stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet at a 74-degree angle. The ride features 10 vertical drops overall, including drops of 193, 131, 129, 110 and 106 feet; two helixes and a splashdown ending. Riders will travel at speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour.

Designed by Bolliger and Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland, Diamondback is the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster to ever strike Kings Island.

Diamondback opens to the public April 18.

Diamondback012609056.jpg.bf3cd487a622b52add0acb3d8eedb50c.jpg

Its going to be interesting to see when testing will begin... especially since there is a splashdown.

Now I know that most parks usually do not test their coasters for the first time in the snow... but Diamondback is supposed to open in April, so I'm guessing that there will be at least some snow during testing.

Its going to be interesting to see when testing will begin... especially since there is a splashdown.

Now I know that most parks usually do not test their coasters for the first time in the snow... but Diamondback is supposed to open in April, so I'm guessing that there will be at least some snow during testing.

Yeah you bring up a good point with the splash down. We are supposed to have a storm linger for the next couple of days with some snow. But after that no one can tell you the weather with Ohio's unpredictable, ever changing forecast.

Well there's still alot of work to be done before the ride can cycle. Lots of electrical work, etc to do. Also, unless I'm mistaken they don't even have the trains yet.

I'd guess it doesn't cycle until March.

Most B&Ms with splash downs do a lot of their initial testing with no water at all so the cold weather shouldn't be much of a factor. Besides, those first few test runs the trains will be running at their slowest, no need to hamper that slow speed any more by running them through the splashdown.

Ok, I have a question. Im confused to whether they would test with the water or not. The splashdown definitely slows the trains down to a more appropriate speed into the brake run and if theyre testing it, wouldnt they want it to be testing real conditions? Or is initial testing ok to run at those higher speeds?

The speeds aren't going to be that higher initially. It's going to be friggen cold outside. That's going to do enough to slow it down. After testing goes on for awhile and it warms up I figure they'll fill the splashdown pond and run it through that.

^Yes, but probably not where you are looking, as evidenced by Behemoth. I believe those stairs that lead to nothing are for easier access for maintenance guys, as they can just drive a cherry picker up and walk just a couple steps instead of marching the whole way up.

Does anyone know for sure to confirm/correct that?

69121633_BehemothFinalHill.jpg.2e9d0125c475ea2864c9485bf1cc9a07.jpg

From Coasterforce.com...Behemoth has the spiral staircase, but on the left side you can see the same couple stairs leading to nothing.