TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I am digging the whole color scheme of this ride though what is seriously up with most B&M being either red or blue these days? I mean seriously.

Just a guess, but red/yellow/blue are primary colours. So those three colours are probably easier to paint the track with, compared to secondary or tertiary colours.

That could be a simple explanation for why you see more red/yellow/blue rides compared to like green or purple rides.

The lift hill is going up up up! Tons of lift pieces in the lot; including the drop...it's going to be VERY sudden! You won't know it's coming!!!

Eh, what? You'll climb a two hundred-odd foot lift hill and not know a drop is coming?

Lol good god.

See having worked on Nitro at SFGADV back in 2005 I had to climb that freakin' lift every day. I was the only one who like seriously volunteered and JUMPED at the chance to go up to sit there for ages waiting on maintenance.I miss it but if your sitting where the phone box was the drop does seem kind of sudden.You walk up about 15 more steps or so and look right down.

I think the reason why you see so many red roller coasters is that it stands out more dramatically than any other color. A park investing in a large coaster is going to want it to be seen for miles and red makes a big impact as far as showing "ferocity" or intimidation, IMO.

^Red is a primary color, so paint wouldn't have to be mixed to get that color. To get purple, though, you need to mix red and blue paint to get that color. The red color takes less work, and not as much components to make.

I think that most any color of paint requires a combination of pigment be added to a white base? There are probably numerous other factors involved in color choice as well.

^ Appearance from a distance is probably one of them, and maybe how effectively it can be used on souvenirs, print ads, etc.

^Red is a primary color, so paint wouldn't have to be mixed to get that color. To get purple, though, you need to mix red and blue paint to get that color. The red color takes less work, and not as much components to make.

Maybe I'm just uninformed but I doubt purple roller coaster paint is made simply by mixing a bucket of red with a bucket of blue. It seems like a very far-fetched explanation to me but ok. It seems like whoever orders the paint would order it in whatever shade is required and that's what gets shipped. If the park wants a red coaster they order the track colored red.

I mean even with all of the red coasters out there, there are very different shades of red. The shade and tone of the color has to be specific even if it is a primary color so the color has to get manufactured one way or another if it's red, or purple, or whatever.

It just seems like a much simpler explanation that parks pick color schemes based on what will look good. If mixing up a batch of purple paint would be such a hassle, why bother doing something like having two different colors on the supports? Going out of your way to do that seems a lot more of a to do than ordering a non-primary colored paint.

Also, what restoca and EC Zenith said!

Even if your theory were correct, which it isn't, it would make more sense to say that magenta is a primary color, since cyan, magenta, yellow and black (CMYK) are the colors for printing, and red, green, and blue are the colors for light (RGB). But the supports aren't being run through a printer, so it doesn't matter.

restoca was correct. Paint color have a white base, with pigment added. The red pigment may be a combination of magenta and blue though. I'm not sure...I'm not a paintologist...I just know that red doesn't take less work to make because it's a primary color.

Anyway.....I can't wait to ride this red coaster and yellow, and sometimes tan, coaster

That's the second highest support, not the highest.

Few pics from tonight: http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=360

Sorry about the quality on the first two. The light was like nonexistent, but I was determined to get a lift hill pic. I tweaked them as best I could but they're not great.

IMG_8098.jpg.3d5fb80377219cc2997319fe1eee07d1.jpg

Diamondback... and feet!

IMG_8093.jpg.31a428d06794e68c0a4ef344439a1b1e.jpg

More giant lift hill. This thing towers over Rivertown.

IMG_8090.jpg.17f7d97842e9e187bb8c454c3bfb4d41.jpg

Lift. Big lift.