TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^Or Intimidator305 WITH A LOOP!!!!!!

I know it was a few pages back, but Elissa, this comment was all kinds of win.

I love it, have the loop just after the turn from the first drop, and call the ride Blackout.

I didn't have too much of a problem with Son of Beast, I rode it in 2007 after the loop was removed, and I just found it mediocre. My greatest regret with SOB is that on my last ride 2 girls flashed theirs tits for the onride and I didn't get a shot from the monitor after, impressive effort, I'm surpised they didn't knock themselves out.

The former Paramount Parks seemed to have a real taste for mediocre coasters which at least KI was spared to a degree - Zamperla Volare's, Togo Stand Ups and so on.

I see the evil geniuses at the CEdar Fair naming department have been up to their usual tricks again - Flying ACE Aerial Chase for the Runaway Reptar. ACE will think it's named after them, even if they wouldn't fit on it.

Edited by downunder

Are you guys actually serious about burning it down? Son of Beast is HUGE, it would take atleast a few weeks for it to burn down. Plus it's pretty close to Top Gun and Adventure Express. Top Gun probably wouldn't have too much damage, but Adventure Express would most likely not be able to operate because it has wooden supports, and they would be burnt too. And what about wind, the fire could spread across the whole park... If you guys are being serious, you need to think of the consequences of burning down a 218' tall woodie. If your just joking, it's getting very old.

Are you guys actually serious about burning it down? Son of Beast is HUGE, it would take atleast a few weeks for it to burn down. Plus it's pretty close to Top Gun and Adventure Express. Top Gun probably wouldn't have too much damage, but Adventure Express would most likely not be able to operate because it has wooden supports, and they would be burnt too. And what about wind, the fire could spread across the whole park... If you guys are being serious, you need to think of the consequences of burning down a 218' tall woodie. If your just joking, it's getting very old.

You're right! We were so caught up in our dreams of burning down SOB that we all failed to realize that there could be disastrous consequences for the rest of the park!

So I guess it's safe to say you won't be there with the rest of us with a can of gas and a box of matches?

^KI officials have probably got the arson squad staking out certain TPR member's places already.

The band Bloodhound Gang were ahead of their time when it comes to what should be done with SOB - "we don't need no water, let the mother****er burn / Burn , MF, burn".

Who knows, they might turn it into a 200 foot Gemini (albeit not twin track), that could actually be fun.

On June 23, 2009, the coaster was abruptly shut down for the year after a 39-year-old Mason woman reported she had a burst blood vessel in her brain as a result of riding the coaster.

It was THAT rough?!?!? Jesus, now I'm really glad there is going to be something done about it! At the most, I'd hope to expect something on the same lines as the Texas Giant refurb. At the minimum, I'd hope that the track and trains were fixed to ensure that it was *NOT* blood-vessel-bursting rough.

I must concur that the best choice is to blow it up as the finale at the 4th of July Spectacular.

I do say that this is beautiful writing. Perhaps the Boston Pops play the The Year of 1812 (1812 Overture) to accompany the blasts coinciding with the 16 cannon shots written in the score by Tchaikovsky himself, and aiming the cannons directly at the base of the lifthill? Or roasting marshmallows and singing campfire songs will work just as nicely.

^ I rode it in 07 and 08 and didn't think it was bad at all. I actually enjoyed it and rated it fairly high on my CF coaster count (8/10).

No offense, but you're really, really, really, REALLY in the minority:

174 Magnus Colossus Terra Mitica ES 34 6 165 6 0.0508

175 Mean Streak Cedar Point OH 376 8 171 1 0.0472

176 Predator Darien Lake NY 142 7 172 0 0.0391

177 The Bandit Movie Park DE 103 5 173 1 0.0307

178 Son of Beast (SBNO) Kings Island OH 251 4 174 0 0.0225

179 Coaster-Express Parque Warner Madrid ES 52 2 174 3 0.0196

180 Anaconda Walygator Parc FR 44 3 171 0 0.0172

181 The Grizzly Great America CA 126 0 177 0 0.0000

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/visit/events/index.cfm?id=187

Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular

May 29 - September 6

Opening Saturday, May 29th!

New for 2010, Kings Island presents Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular, an immersive light and sound experience starring everyone’s favorite PEANUTS characters and their summertime adventures. This colorful pageant of more than two million LED lights invites guests to explore a breathtaking display the entire family will enjoy after a day of fun and thrills.

In addition to lighted trees and interactive displays along the midways, the park's signature Eiffel Tower will sparkle in color from top to bottom making this a truly unique and must-see experience.

Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular will debut Saturday, May 29 and run daily through Labor Day, September 6. The display will begin at sunset and remain open until park closing time.

starlight_thumb.jpg.eb3bd29e7fe5ec498f2efa022ef87f11.jpg

1041810058_Screenshot2010-04-28at2_32_51AM.png.e2fb2d311d771ae7fc59fd30b6c60a83.png

^ Cool, I never made it up to Cedar Point last season to check that out, but the location at Kings Island seems much better suited for this IMO. The area around the eiffel tower is what people will see as they are leaving the park, and this will have them leave with a spectacular LED display that kids will truly love I think. A good, cheap idea to add a little magic to the end of a park visit.

^LOL Best one yet.

I honestly have mixed feelings about SoB. I rode it in 2008 and I don't really remember the ride experience that well because the kid behind me, who rode every other coaster in the park, was crying the whole time. Even on the lift hill. I didn't think it (the ride) was that bad.

Also, I do believe that you can pop a blood vessel by blowing your nose or by taking a massive dump. I think it was just bad luck for that lady.

As for the future of the ride, it has already been proven that we can't burn it down and I am not in favor of refurbishing it. I think the best idea I have heard is to tear it down and use the wood for parts to other rides. They could also send the wood out to other CF parks. I am no pro and I am not sure if it is safe, but it is a good idea.

I last rode this in April of last year. It was the first time I had ridden it since 2004 so I was curious to see what it was like without the loop. Just as I had figured, it was horrible. I used to say "At least the loop is good" so without it, and the fact it was still real rough made it crap. Converting the track to the steel ala Texas Giant would probably make it a smooth ride, but even so it wasn't very good to begin with so do you want to spend even more money on that? First drop, first double helix (if smooth), and the loop were ok, but the rest of the ride is boring. How many helixes do you need? I thought the first one would be great if smooth and maybe if it had a tunnel, but then you are just repeating the end of The Beast at a more severe angle. It is probably best to just take it down, find some use for the wood, and start over with a new ride. Maybe they could turn the ride into mulch and sell it to enthusiasts looking to buy anything!

I think the starlight spectacular is a great addition at kings island... But I wonder what part of the park it will be in

I saw some of the trees covered in lights on Saturday behind the Eiffel Tower on the pathway that leads to The Beast. The former hedge-like clock was also covered in lights. None of these lights were on yet, and they were the same type used at Cedar Point for their Starlight Experience.