TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Could locals or frequent park visitors talk about how they feel the announced improvements to the entrance plaza will assist with traffic flow into the park? I don't remember much from my visit two years ago.

ki_tollplaza_img.jpg

These are great slide complexes and they give you a little something for everyone. The dropbox slides are my favorite water slides and having 3 of them should really help with capacity. Now CF needs to add this same tower to Knott's, the KBF Soak City hasn't seen an addition since 2006.

Could locals or frequent park visitors talk about how they feel the announced improvements to the entrance plaza will assist with traffic flow into the park? I don't remember much from my visit two years ago.

ki_tollplaza_img.jpg

Instead of having two sets of tolls (one near the middle of the parking lot and one to the north side of the parking lot) they will have one big one that looks like it is double the size of the current main entrance. It is usually only a problem on real crowded days. When i worked there 11 years ago a couple of days traffic was backed up the the montgomery exit on 71

Is Soak City included with King's Island admission? I feel like I would like water parks a lot more if my local parks didn't charge separately for admission!

I never choose to buy water park tickets over the main park.

(Knott's and Magic Mountain )

Yes Soak City is included with KI

The park's train even stops at Soak City.

The new slide tower at KD is good, so I'm sure it will be a hit at KI.

Edited by cfc

Seven-story water slide complex coming to Kings Island in 2016

MASON, Ohio – Kings Island announced Wednesday a major expansion to its Soak City Waterpark for the 2016 season with the addition of Tropical Plunge, a complex of six different water slide experiences towering nearly seven stories.

Three of the slides on the 65-foot tall complex will start with guests climbing inside an Aqua-Launch chamber where they will wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them into a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of flat loops and S-curves in a translucent flume.

Tropical Plunge also features a slide that will send riders twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they’re released out into a pool of water and dueling 337-foot long tube slides that zip riders through an enchanting series of drops and turns.

“This will be a high-adrenaline attraction that will increase the thrill factor for our park guests,” Kings Island’s Vice President and General Manager Greg Scheid said.

“They have been asking for new and more thrilling waterpark attractions they are able to enjoy with family members and we think this answers their feedback plus brings another element of FUN to the overall experience of Kings Island.”

Tropical Plunge will expand the size of Kings Island’s waterpark to 35 acres. Once the attraction has been built, Soak City Waterpark will have a total of 36 slides; two wave pools; two coves; a lagoon and an action river plus children’s play areas among its more than 50 water activities.

Construction on Tropical Plunge is expected to begin this fall and will be ready by Memorial Day 2016, the start of the waterpark’s 27th season.

In addition to the new water slide complex, in conjunction with the City of Mason’s renovation of Kings Island Drive, a grander more welcoming park entrance with 13 new entrance lanes will be built on the north end of the parking lot, creating a much-improved traffic flow. The new entrance will replace the current north and south toll plazas.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.”

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=SoakCitySlideComplex_loop_fudt[/coastertube]

KI_Parking_Tolls.thumb.jpg.1d0adf90944d931aee3458a1ffd09ba1.jpg

New parking toll booth

KI_TropicalPlunge_Logo.thumb.jpg.a61f6ae4f55f1ebbc9a7b38834d61cf7.jpg

Tropical Plunge Logo

TropicalPlunge.thumb.jpg.c03e7951fd3466e47b52f59a733192df.jpg

Artist Rendering

If you're interested in learning more about the eventual changes to Western Row, Columbia Road, and Kings Island Drive, here's a website to check out.

The Columbia Road relocation project is going to begin this winter, but it will be a couple years before the full I-71 interchange and realignment along Western Row is complete.

I like the new parking lot entrance. The current tolls are small and outdated.

It's a hassle during pre and post season that they only use the south entrance and coming from the north trying to turn into the parking lot can be a problem if there is a nice backup of cars coming from the south.

So, the same slide complex that was installed at Worlds of Fun and Dorney Park.

Looks good, but it's a little anticlimactic.

I've a feeling that's why they only announced the announcement a day beforehand.

I'd been expecting Kings Island's waterpark to add the trapdoor waterslides at some point since those are starting to become the norm among waterparks nowadays. The new parking toll booth is also a nice addition because the current ones are pretty small considering how big the park is.

So, the same slide complex that was installed at Worlds of Fun and Dorney Park.

Looks good, but it's a little anticlimactic.

I feel like it will be a good, popular addition, but when I heard it announced I was like, "That's it?" They definitely could have had another small addition, similar to what Darien Lake did this year (One wet, one wild promo).

If you're interested in learning more about the eventual changes to Western Row, Columbia Road, and Kings Island Drive, here's a website to check out.

The Columbia Road relocation project is going to begin this winter, but it will be a couple years before the full I-71 interchange and realignment along Western Row is complete.

I'm thoroughly convinced that ODOT is never going to stop construction throughout Cincinnati. They just finished up Pfeiffer, and we still have MLK, Fields-Ertel, and most of I-75 to finish... The horrific bottlenecks just keep shuffling around and are never relieved!

Anyway, I'm pleased that Soak City is getting more slides. It feels so spread out and underdeveloped as a waterpark. I suppose it has a lot of slides but most of its' towers are very small and outdated. I'm kind of surprised people actually believed Racer was going anywhere, I think Don Helbig would chain himself to it if management ever said they were taking it out!

Just wait until they finally decide to do the Brent Spence Bridge replacement how bad things are going to get for a while. Now it make take piece of crap bridge collapsing and killing people before they fix it but it will happen eventually.

Hey, planning on being at the park October 9-12th , does the park still function regularly during Halloweekends? My dad said he saw something that seemed like only a handful of attractions would be open which didn't sound accurate especially since we have been to Carowinds for Halloweekends and all the rides were running.