Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1626 - A look at Winterfest
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby PennStater » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 pm

They're probably pulling it for the same reasons Kennywood removed their top spin... the same reasons mentioned above. I sure don't miss ours.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby adamico2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:^^It also just flat-out sucked. Most disappointing ride I think I've ever been on, for sure. I only wish I had been able to ride it as Tomb Raider.

^I'm with you on that. It seems so odd that they would've have just invested in tearing it down if they were going to - I know that letting it sit there costs less money than getting rid of it, but regardless they'll have to get over that eventually. Either that, or they're waiting to do something with it. I'd be curious to see if the Timberliners could take the ride, with some retrofitting and the like - Gravity Group did say that they could invert on a woodie with them, and I'd say the only shot they have of it reopening being a success would be if they got an inversion back in there.

TGG actually has a loop designed just for the heck of it. Unlike the SoB loop, theirs would be constructed entirely from wood, instead of steel with wood track.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Kings Island has notified us that their vice president and general manager Greg Scheid has joined Twitter!

http://www.twitter.com/KIGMGREG
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 pm

^^Do they really? Interesting!

I just figure this: the reason the loop was removed was because of the need to switch to lighter trains, as the structure couldn't take the stress the original trains were putting on it. Retrofitting the ride, adding back a smaller loop that can be taken with new trains that are still light, and lowering other elements if necessary to maintain a good momentum throughout the ride (and allow the train to make it back to the station) would be a good way to refresh the ride. Of course, that's before they have to try to market it past its past reputation, which could prove impossible and is probably a huge part of the decision to keep it SBNO.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Wooden loop? Really? That sounds insane! Weren't even the first loops on wooden coasters made of steel?
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 am

cal1br3tto wrote:Wooden loop? Really? That sounds insane! Weren't even the first loops on wooden coasters made of steel?

Well, the Loop the Loop (Coney Island) built in the '20s had a steel loop.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6898
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Kafka » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:09 am

I suspect the reason that it has been kept SBNO is simply the fact that it would be ungodly expensive to tear down and remove. From what ive read, it seems the major problem with the ride is not the tracking, but rather defects in the super structure itself around the rose bowl. I imagine it would be possible to fix the ride by converting that section to steel supports like those used on Voyage, but it would require action by the gravity group. Currently I have not heard of any plans from either Kings Island or TGG to act in such a manner so this is entirely speculation and thus should be treated as such.

Personally I would rather see this ride be redesigned still utilizing the first drop. I believe that TGG or Intamin is approaching the level of technical know-how where they would be comfortable building a ride within the insane specifications of Son of Beast. I believe it is possible to fix this ride if it makes business sense to do so.

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Kafka wrote:it seems the major problem with the ride is not the tracking, but rather defects in the super structure itself around the rose bowl.

That's what you get when you go the "cheap" route and have it built by RCCA, instead of doing it the right way.

Let's be completely honest, though. The ride isn't that great. It's big, and fast, and impressive looking, for sure, but that's it. It's going to take a hell of a lot more work than just around the rose bowl to make that thing even remotely ridable again. And even if they do make it more sturdy, the ride is still intensely boring. At this point, I think their best bet is to just offload that piece of crap and tear it down once and for all.

Delirium is the rox0rz

Postby PKIDelirium » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Couple archive photos of the Giant Top Spin ride vehicle at HUSS Bremen before being dismantled and shipped to KI for installation as Tomb Raider.
KI-GTS1.jpg
KI-GTS2.jpg

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SaweetDude04 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:04 pm

^That thing is massive! If the winds in the building are an issue for the ride, wouldn't a semi-simple solution be to just remove the building? I'm sure watching this huge ride run a cycle would be great for onlookers!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!