Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby Geauga Dog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Carowinds does have one of my favorite park layouts - very easy to navigate. My guess is that Randall Duell designed it?

What was Smurf Island? Was it a ride area for kids or one of those playgrounds with net climbs and ball crawls? It's a little hard to tell in the small map inset of the island in the later guides.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby SkyWayStitch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Smurf Island was a walk through area with small mushroom houses and other Smurfy artifacts. There were not any rides, but there was a small ball pit area at the entrance. To access the island, you would actually have to walk across the Carolina Sternwheeler when it was docked. The snack stand served smurf blue iceees.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby SkyWayStitch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Actually, as you can see in the early 80's maps and pics, White Lightnin was not removed for the lame wave pool. The wave pool had been there for several years and stood side by side with White Lightnin.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 am

Shane, you might find this story about Marshall Scotty's partial revival interesting.

Story by Karen Pearlman
Thursday, November 3, 2011

Marshal Scotty’s Playland, the beloved East County park that has been renovated, redeveloped and renamed several times since its 1967 grand opening, is getting new life.

The once bustling park off Interstate 8 where Lakeside and El Cajon meet, vacant for the last 17 years, is set to reopen Nov. 5. The latest, and its owners hope final, incarnation will be called “Canyon Raceway.”

While the Tilt-a-Whirl and roller coaster won’t be part of the action, the site’s husband-and-wife owners Rudy and Carrie Ludeke are opening part of the park for go-cart racing, one of its most popular late-era features.

Rudy Ludeke, who owns a fabrication business in El Cajon, traveled to Texas two weeks ago to bring back five of the six go-carts that will be used at the track on Ridge Hill Road near Lake Jennings Park Road.

“My husband has always had a dream to open up the track,” Carrie Ludeke said. “This has been his quest for months. We both would go (to the go-cart track) all the time in high school, when we went to Granite Hills. We loved it. It was so fun to go at night and race under the lights in the back country.”

Carrie Ludeke was reluctant to say how much they invested in opening part of the park but “basically it was everything we have... retirement, savings, everything... down to the last penny. We are saying a big prayer for opening day.”

The park will be open, at least for the time being, from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, 2 to 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 3 to 7 p.m. Sundays. As the Ludekes gauge the park’s popularity, hours of operation may change.

The park had a “work the quirks out night” last weekend, Rudy Ludeke said. People from around the county heard by word-of-mouth that the raceway was opening soon, and many paid a visit to see the coming attraction, Rudy Ludeke said.

“It was great to see smiles, blast from the past, are you kidding me?” he said. “Old school Cajon Speedway racers came, Barona racers came. The smiles, the expressions, the emotions were high. I had people telling me, ‘I remember back in the day’ stories. Nobody can fathom that it was 17 years ago! The track looked great, too. Everybody was really stoked and energetic about it.”

For people like Lakeside native Jennifer Griggs, the park can’t open soon enough.

Griggs worked at Marshal Scotty’s from 1993 to 1995 and her last year was spent in the ticket booth at the go-cart track.

“I have lots of wonderful memories and funny stories,” Griggs said. “My favorite is meeting my husband at the track. I was going to college and would sell tickets and do my homework in the booth. My now-husband loved racing go-carts and came to the track almost every night. We soon started dating and now 16 years later we’re still happily married with two children. Our son is 10 and races go-carts, and in fact was the 2010 So-Cal Oval Karters champion.”

Marshal Scotty’s heyday was in the 1970s and ’80s and even into the early ’90s. The Western-theme park was often filled with kids hopping on and off its miniature Tilt-a-Whirl, a dipping “Bulgy the Whale” ride, ring-the-bell boat ride, roller coaster, 20-foot-high Ferris wheel, airplanes and bumper cars.

Frank Hobbs, who nicknamed himself Marshal Scotty when he got into the carnival business in the early 1950s, opened the park on Jan. 1, 1967.

It changed ownership several times before Bill Lee took it over in 1986. Lee’s dream was to develop Marshal Scotty’s into a world-class water park and in 1989, he invested $500,000 to add a go-cart track and install the longest water slide of its kind in Southern California. By 1990, Lee had filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11, and Marshal Scotty’s Playland never recovered.

In 1995, the property and equipment were sold under foreclosure to United Leisure Corp. of Fountain Valley for $1.6 million. The company named the park Frasier’s Frontier and established Camp Frasier, a day camp for children, on the property. In 1996 and 1997, Camp Frasier in El Cajon attracted about 200 campers each summer.

But by 1998, United Leisure closed Frasier’s Frontier and Camp Frasier, and put the El Cajon property on the market. It had sat empty since then.

The Ludekes hope this is the end of problems for the property, and the beginning of a promising future.

“The long-range hope is that as long as people are smiling, we’ll keep it going,” Rudy Luedeke said. “Smiles keep it going. I definitely want this for my son so someday he can take it over. He’s 8 years old. And my daughter, who is 11, she also wants to take it over. We’re looking to the future.”

From m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/03/new-life-for-part-of-east-county-landmark/

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:31 pm

I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby montezooma » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Carowinds celebrated their 15th anniversary with...wait for it... a Pamper's Infant Care Center! It must have been an off year for them but the marketing department made much ado about nothing. Here is a look at their 15th Anniversary press kit.
pc1.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc2.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc3.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc4.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc5.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc6.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc7.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc8.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc9.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc10.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc11.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc12.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc13.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc14.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc15.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc16.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc17.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc18.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc19.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc20.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc21.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc22.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc23.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc24.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc24.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc25.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc26.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc27.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc28.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc29.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc30.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
pc31.jpg
Viewed 2768 times
Last edited by montezooma on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:52 pm.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby eddie200330 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:55 pm

OMG...Love The Paladium concert lineup, not to mention those outrageous ticket prices for the shows!!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Postby montezooma » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Canada's Wonderland

Here is a little something that Canada's Wonderland sent out to me before their big grand opening. Amazing how much this park has changed from those early days. I have also included some old super 8 movie footage I shot at the park on my first visit back in the 80's.

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

cw1.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw2.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw3.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw4.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw5.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw6.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw7.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw8.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw9.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw10.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw11.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw12.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw13.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw14.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw15.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw16.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw17.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
new-6.JPG
Viewed 2600 times
cw19.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw20.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw21.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw22.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw23.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw24.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw25.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw26.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw27.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw28.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
cw29.jpg
Viewed 2600 times
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Whoa, that video was lagging a bit. It kind of reminded me of when No Limits first came out and my computer couldn't handle Open GL. It's cool though and that "Swingaround" lookalike makes me miss Kennywood's version... I miss it a bunch.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Loved the home movie footage! There's something about old super-8 clips of amusement parks, with the colors fading, etc., that I find compelling, like I'm remembering a dream or something. Very cool.
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!