Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Eli Manning!

Postby coastercrazed49 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:58 pm

You must have one hell of an attic. ;)

I really enjoy seeing all these parks before I was even born. Its amazing how they have changed so much.
EBL [9:16pm]: I'm not much into politics. I got turned off while Abraham Lincoln was in office.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:41 pm

I just had a thought---this topic ought to be a sticky. But that's up to the staff.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Old Elitch Gardens, Denver Colorado

Postby dave seltenreich » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Shane,

Do you or anybody out there have photos/video of old Elitch Gardens in Denver. I am compiling a database from what I have, but would like to know anybody out there that has anything?

Thanks

Dave Seltenreich

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Shane, are you going to do anymore from different years? That would be so cool! Thanks for filling up the Attic so far! :)

-Tatum

Banned

Postby RIP Psyclone » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:17 pm

EBL wrote:I just had a thought---this topic ought to be a sticky. But that's up to the staff.

Eric

Well, Shane updates this almost every day, and it gets lots of replies and views...it is pretty much sticky! Thanks, Shane, for the stickiest non-sticky thread!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Sticky Nicky » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Reality15 wrote:Shane, just one question that you might be able to answer: was Valleyfair! a Cedar Fair park at the time that brochure was made? I didn't notice any reference to "Cedar Fair" on the brochure, but I thought they owned it by then.

"Cedar Fair" did not exsit at the time, but Cedar Point's owner bought Valleyfair! in 1978, a year before that brochure. They added Rails, CP's old Wildcat coaster the year they bought the park. So yes, it was a "Cedar Fair" park at the time.

An interesting fact about VF was that Dick Kinzel was the general manager there for 8 years in the 80's before he became CEO of the entire company. He was responsible for Corkscrew and partially responsible for Excalibur.

http://www.coastercounter.com/StickyNicky
COASTER COUNT: 53 (46 Steel, 7 Wooden)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KileyJoJoStacie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Thats crazy that SFOT stayed open til Midnight.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:33 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:Shane, are you going to do anymore from different years? That would be so cool! Thanks for filling up the Attic so far! :)

-Tatum

Yes Tatum, I do plan on doing other series like this. If you go to page one of this thread you can see the things that I have coming up.

Sticky Nicky wrote:
Reality15 wrote:Shane, just one question that you might be able to answer: was Valleyfair! a Cedar Fair park at the time that brochure was made? I didn't notice any reference to "Cedar Fair" on the brochure, but I thought they owned it by then.

"Cedar Fair" did not exsit at the time, but Cedar Point's owner bought Valleyfair! in 1978, a year before that brochure. They added Rails, CP's old Wildcat coaster the year they bought the park. So yes, it was a "Cedar Fair" park at the time.

An interesting fact about VF was that Dick Kinzel was the general manager there for 8 years in the 80's before he became CEO of the entire company. He was responsible for Corkscrew and partially responsible for Excalibur.

Thanks for posting that, I did not know that about Dick Kinzel being at ValleyFair or when Cedar Point bought the park. Always good to hear interesting things like this.

EBL wrote:I just had a thought---this topic ought to be a sticky. But that's up to the staff.

Eric

What is a sticky???

Postby montezooma » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks everyone for all your great comments and for adding pictures, information and your stories from memory and collections. I really enjoy sharing this stuff and hearing your comments about the parks as they used to be.

I am really excited about my friend Scott, he has been inspired to go through his closet and get out all his good stuff and start up a thread also to share. So make sure you check out Scott's Amusement Attic
tpr_logo_697.jpg

Postby montezooma » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:28 am

The World of Sid & Marty Krofft

thrillerman1 wrote:
By the way, do you happen to have anything from The World of Sid and Marty Krofft that was in Atlanta?

A lot of you have asked my if I had any information on this relatively unknown park. Here is an article I found from an old publication called Amusement Park Journal. The article gives a great description of the park, attractions at the park, how it was set up, and how it failed. This must have been quite an interesting park...boring...but interesting.

Sid & Marty Krofft were responsible for a lot crazy stuff from the 70's including H.R. Pufinstuf, Lidsville, the Donny & Marie show and the craptacular "Brady Bunch Variety Hour". The later, probably one of the worst TV shows ever produced, is strangely and surprisingly very entertaining to watch today! Anyways the point I am trying to make is that they did their own thing, several have suggested that hallucenagenics played a huge part in production development. They completely strayed from the successful theme park formula and went for a something completely different...needless to say, other than Wild West World, this park had one of the shortest runs in history.

Since it was only opened a short time I never had the chance to visit the park. I bet not many other people had the opportunity either. Enjoy the article it is a small footnote in the history of theme parks and contains some great bits of amusement park trivia.
Shane
Sid & Marty Kroft World 1.jpg
Sid & Marty Kroft World 2.jpg
Sid & Marty Kroft World 3.jpg
kbrochure.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!