Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:49 pm

^ That path is still there, but of course the mission models are long gone.

Henry's Livery was at the southeast corner of the property, right at the corner of Beach and Crescent. That's where one of the main parking lots is now.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

TPR's Friendliest Guy

Postby Big Mike » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 am

Is there any way we can slow this freight train down a little bit??

Congrats on 200,000 views Shane!!!

Of course I noticed! I check every day if I am making up any ground on you lol.

Peace, Big Mike

ONLY 22 COASTERS LEFT IN THE USA TO RIDE!!!

COASTERS RIDDEN: 1,309

PARKS VISITED: 447

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 am

Todays update is from my collection of photos I took at Knott's over the years. The Corkscrew when it was white, Cycle Chase, Montezooma's Revenge and more. I wish some of them were more clear, but at the time I only had a Kodak 110 camera. Remember those?

Don't miss the finale tomorrow of my week long look at Knott's. I have some great souvenir books to finish up with.

-Shane
Corkscrew 11.jpg
I loved this sign! I wonder if it is still around somewhere. If so I will buy it! (knott's are you listening?)
Corkscrew 4.jpg
The Corkscrew 1976
Corkscrew 5.jpg
Corkscrew 6.jpg
transfer track was in an unusual place, right off the lift rather than near the final brake run before the station.
Corkscrew 7.jpg
Corkscrew 8.jpg
early parachites and train going thru first corkscrew
Corkscrew 9.jpg
can you believe that queue used to fill up?
cycle chase 1.jpg
the Cycle Chase from the Sky Jump.
cycle chase 2.jpg
cycle chase 3.jpg
This was taken when they ran individual motor cycles. Later they combined three cycles together to make a small train.
pic9.jpg
pic11.jpg
pic10.jpg
Loop Trainer Flying Machine
pic3.jpg
"this is the entrance to the Sky Cabin...Not the the Parachute Sky Jump. The entrance to the Parachute Sky Jump is on the opposite side of this attraction." remember that spiel???
pic15.jpg
I think this is one of the biggest mistakes Knott's has made over the years. Removing this attraction would be like removing the Matterhorn. It was a local Icon.
pic14.jpg
pic1.jpg
The Corscrew turns blue
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic12.jpg
pic13.jpg
pic14.jpg
pic2.jpg
Gold Ol' Log Ride. It has withstood the tests of time!
Monte 7.jpg
And now for my favorite. For those of you that don't know...I LOVE Schwarzkopf shuttle loops, this one being my favorite of them all!
Monte 10.jpg
Monte 11.jpg
Monte 6.jpg
Monte 12.jpg
Monte 13.jpg
Montezooma's Revenge 2.jpg
Montezooma's Revenge 1.jpg
Monte 9.jpg
Zoom station.jpg
Zoom night.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Olsor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Very cool stuff, Shane! I had never seen pictures of Cycle Chase in its original incarnation. And while I've never been on either of the Arrow steeplechase-style rides, but it just seems like a ride like that would be a no-brainer for a park to have these days. Maybe with a mild Motocoaster-ish launch or something?

All of these pictures and videos really show how much charm Knott's had back in the day. I can understand why people pine for the pre-Cedar Fair Knott's.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:14 pm

I rode the Motorcycle Chase both as individual cycles and as a train. What I don't remember are those little platforms that you can see in this picture. Obviously they were to help evacuate the cycles should that be necessary.

All-white Corkscrew! Believe it or not, a picture of it was in my 1976 high school yearbook. At that time, it was quite a novel ride---the first upside down coaster in over 70 years.

And I remember visiting the park one rainy night in Spring 1978, just before Montezooma's Revenge opened. I knew of (but had never ridden) Tidal Wave at then Marriott's Great America, and was quite excited at the idea that one of our local parks was getting one! (Little did I know that ours was the newer flywheel launch model, which in my opinion is better!) Also on that night was the one and only time that I ever saw two-train operation on the Corkscrew.

Montezooma's Revenge is the only such ride in the U.S. to still operate in its original location.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby montezooma » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Knott's Berry Farm
Souvenir Books

Today I share with you my most prized Knott's memoribilia...The Souvenier Books. So many great pictures, and the true essence of the Knott's hey-day is in these books. The first one I share (from 1977) is particularly my favorite. It is how I most fondly remember Knott's.

Through the years Knott's has really had some hits and misses but that seems to be the natural progression of parks. They must constantly change and reinvent themselves to keep guests coming back. As much as I loved the airfield section of the park I understand that a modernization had to take place to keep people interested. The same goes for many of the attractions that are sorely missed. In the nooks and crannies of today's Knott's you can still find little bits and pieces of old Knott's. It is what it is... and even though I miss the rides, charm and feel of "Knott's Old Time Adventures" I still have my memories and I still have a GREAT experience every time I visit.

Yay Knotts!!!

Here's Book #1
knott's 61.jpg
knott's 62.jpg
knott's 63.jpg
knott's 64.jpg
knott's 65.jpg
knott's 66.jpg
knott's 67.jpg
knott's 68.jpg
knott's 69.jpg
knott's 70.jpg
knott's 71.jpg
knott's 72.jpg
knott's 73.jpg
knott's 74.jpg
knott's 75.jpg
knott's 76.jpg
knott's 77.jpg
knott's 78.jpg
knott's 79.jpg
knott's 80.jpg
knott's 81.jpg
knott's 82.jpg
knott's 83.jpg
knott's 84.jpg
knott's 85.jpg
knott's 86.jpg
knott's 87.jpg
knott's 88.jpg
knott's 89.jpg
knott's 90.jpg
knott's 91.jpg
knott's 92.jpg
knott's 93.jpg
knott's 94.jpg
knott's 95.jpg
knott's 96.jpg
knott's 97.jpg
knott's 98.jpg
knott's 99.jpg
knott's 100.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Postby montezooma » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Knott's Berry Farm
Souvenir Book #2
book 1.jpg
book 2.jpg
book 3.jpg
book 4.jpg
book 5.jpg
book 6.jpg
book 7.jpg
book 8.jpg
book 9.jpg
book 11.jpg
book 12.jpg
book 13.jpg
book 14.jpg
book 15.jpg
book 16.jpg
book 17.jpg
book 18.jpg
book 19.jpg
book 20.jpg
book 21.jpg
book 22.jpg
book 23.jpg
book 24.jpg
book 25.jpg
book 26.jpg
book 27.jpg
book 28.jpg
book2-29.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby iamscottevil » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Wow, so many memories. I was around later though. I remember the Wacky Soap Box Racers and being scared of them with the explosive fireworks factory. I remember the shopping cart sound of the windjammer. I was there with a ymca group one time when they had their POG tournament, and everyone else punched out their sheet of pogs but me, I kept mine in the cardboard. Loved kingdom of the dinosaurs. "You've gone BACK in time one MILLION years! How will I EVER get you BACK?"

I miss old knotts. Last time I was their It felt claustrophobic with so many coasters overhead. I was kinda lost trying to get around. At least the candy store was still pretty cool. I guess we all have to grow up.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby deasondodger » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:59 pm

I hope this thread shows the people who never experienced the old Knotts how great of a place it really was, and the reasons why we complain about its current state. It may not be a bad park for the people who never experienced it like we did, but trust us when we say how bad it is compared to 20-40 yrs ago. Every yr my parents let us open one present on christmas eve and it was always Knotts tickets for us to go to the day after Christmas. We always rode the log ride first and had some of the best times of my childhood.
Now that I have a family of my own and I live on the east coast I flew my family out to So Cal last summer and only had one day to do a park, we went to Disneyland instead of Knotts, something that I never did growing up, I always chose Knotts first. My wife asked me why Disney and not Knotts since I have told her about all my memories of the place, and I told her that I choose to remember it for what it was and not what it has become.
Thanks for all of the great pics of the old days. I actually have a lot of them packed in an attic somewhere also. It was fun

gary kyriazi

Postby montezooma » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 am

Roller Coaster Expert: Gary Kyriazi

Do you sometimes get confused between a steel coaster and a wood coaster? Well in case you do I have dug this out of my RETRO VCR to clear up any confusion.

Before Gary Kyriazi got a job as one of the Geico Cavemen he was all us coaster enthusiasts had in the way of an "expert". At the time he had ridden 80 coasters in 4 weeks (eat your heart out Big Mike) He also wrote books, produced documentarys and gave us the Top 10 list.

Enjoy this look back at coasters and parks in this rare interview from 1980. There should be no more confusion between wood and steel after you watch this riveting interview...no confusion at all unless you are Gary Kyriazi, who lists Gemini as his #10 wooden coaster.

Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!