Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 am

Old Chicago

Here is a great read from a great publication "Amusement Park Journal". Old Chicago was a great idea just executed wrong, at the wrong time, and the wrong place. You'll see what that means when you read the article.

This park had some pretty major rides for an indoor facility. An Arrow Corkscrew, "The Chicago Loop" which eventually ended up at Canobie Lake. The Pinfari "Chicago Cat" and a Chance Toboggan. There was also an Arrow Flume and a Bradley & Kaye Barnstormer.

One story that I heard but have never been able to validate was that Old Chicago had ordered a Scwarzkopf Shuttle Loop to install. Of course the park went bankrupt and the story is that the coaster went to Walibi Belgium.

All that is left of this place is memories and the street where the park was located is still called Old Chicago Drive.

Credit goes to Charles J. Jacques Jr. for this great article.

Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue May 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Where did the Corkscrew eventually go?

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I Love Eli Manning!

Postby coastercrazed49 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:56 pm

^It went to Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire, which now its called Canobie Corkscrew.
Great Article Shane, its sad to see this park gone.
EBL [9:16pm]: I'm not much into politics. I got turned off while Abraham Lincoln was in office.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue May 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Honestly, I think indoor parks would be all the rage---especially in areas where they have harsh winters that don't allow year round operation of outdoor ones.

You'd think such parks would be goldmines, too.

Eric

Postby montezooma » Tue May 13, 2008 5:53 pm

^ I am not a fan of the indoor amusement parks, the ones I have been to are loud and just lack the fun atmosphere of outdoor parks. The exception to that being the Little Mermaid themed area at DisneySea in Tokyo. That indoor amusement area works!!!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Jim1013 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:03 pm

What was unfortunate for Old Chicago was the lack of sunlight, other than that rotunda in the middle it looks like a huge dark warehouse, but that was era and what was available at the time. Imagine the MOA Camp Snoopy/Nick Universe with the skylights all blacked out.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue May 13, 2008 10:47 pm

^ An indoor park filled with "dark" rides. :P

Eric

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Wed May 14, 2008 8:02 am

montezooma wrote:^ I am not a fan of the indoor amusement parks, the ones I have been to are loud and just lack the fun atmosphere of outdoor parks. The exception to that being the Little Mermaid themed area at DisneySea in Tokyo. That indoor amusement area works!!!

I actually disagree. I think both Nick Universe and Adventuredome are fun parks. The noise does become a bit of an issue, but that just doesn't bother me. Ultimately it is hard to compare an indoor park to one that is outdoors, because of the space restrictions an indoor park has. My only complaint of indoor parks is that the attractions are usually packed in so tightly.

Nice article by the way. I really enjoyed learning about this park. It is amazing how many parks were doomed to fail from the beginning because of bad business plans.
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

The opening 1994 Tower of Terror commercial

Postby themepark321 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:22 pm

We are finally dying to see the original 1994 opening commercial for "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" at Walt Disney World. The one with the high school kids following the footsteps of the tragic five.

Re: The opening 1994 Tower of Terror commercial

Postby montezooma » Thu May 15, 2008 11:03 am

themepark321 wrote:We are finally dying to see the original 1994 opening commercial for "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" at Walt Disney World. The one with the high school kids following the footsteps of the tragic five.

What? You want more commercials? OK I got your commercials right here!

"Attack of the CORPORATE PARKS"

Disney
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XKgMzqO06AI[/youtube]

Six Flags
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8JDpNtXA1zE[/youtube]

Busch
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MBh7Ctt2cdE[/youtube]
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!