Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Eyerly Aircraft Company

Postby montezooma » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:39 am

Eyerly Aircraft Company

Continuing on from my post last week (Venture Ride Mfg.) about funny old flats, I am looking back now at the generation of flat rides that were a little before my time. I come from the Pirate, Enterprise & Wave Swinger generation but these go way back even before those. Eyerly Aircraft Company from Salem, Oregon is the makers of these really old contraptions you see at some traditional parks but mostly fairs and carnivals.

They make such rides as the Loop-O-Plane, Rock-O-Plane, Roll-O-Plane, Sidewinder, Octopus, Spider, and Monster.

My parents took me to Lagoon in Salt Lake as a kid several times and every year I would try to be brave enough to ride the Hammer (Loop-O-Plane). They ended up taking the ride out before I actually ever rode it, but I did ride their Roll-O-Plane before they took it out and still ride the Rock-O-Plane every time I visit.

The Monster is one of my all time favorite flats. I used to ride it every time I went to Magic Mountain as the "Jolly Monster" I also never missed "Mo-Mo the Monster" at Six Flags over Georgia.
Loop O Plane 1.jpg
Loop O Plane 2.jpg
Loop O Plane 3.jpg
Loop O Plane 4.jpg
Sidewinder 1.jpg
Sidewinder 2.jpg
Sidewinder 3.jpg
Sidewinder 4.jpg
Sidewinder 5.jpg
Rock o plane 1.jpg
Rock o plane 2.jpg
Rock o plane 3.jpg
Rock o plane 4.jpg
Octopus 1.jpg
Octopus 2.jpg
Octopus 3.jpg
Octopus 4.jpg
Octopus 5.jpg
Spider 1.jpg
Spider 2.jpg
Spider 3.jpg
Spider 4.jpg
Monster 1.jpg
Monster 2.jpg
Monster 3.jpg
Monster 4.jpg
Monster 5.jpg
Monster 6.jpg
Cedar Point 035.jpg
The Monster still hold up today against some of the bigger flats. My kids would rather ride the Monster over Max Air anyday!
Roll O Plane 1.jpg
Roll O Plane 2.jpg
Roll O Plane 3.jpg
Roll O Plane 4.jpg
Roll O Plane 5.jpg
Roll O Plane 6.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 am

Awesome posts! The CP one's were a trip down memory lane from my childhood, as were the "real" carnival flats.

I used to love the 'Octopus' as a kid and I still will hit up 'Monster' at CP when I am there...it was always one of my mother's favorite rides.

And who all agrees that 'Rock-O-Plane' is the coolest flat ride (and name) ever along with 'Zipper'?

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:45 pm

SFMM had one of the six-arm, four-car Monster rides at one time. The original one was called "Billy the Squid," and they got a different one later and called it "Jolly Monster." This was located right about where the giant GOLIATH letters are now at the entrance to that ride.

I usually took at least one ride on Billy the Squid/Jolly Monster during my visits. It was a lot of fun with some great airtime. The only downside was a horrendously long load/unload cycle.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Is the Eyerly Aircraft Company still producing rides today?

It is great to see the Black Dragon (Astroworld), and then have it pictured later in it's life as Razz-a-ma-tazz.

Thanks! This thread is the best.

Ever.

-Tatum

CHOO CHOO Ride Op

Postby lapseofreason » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:46 pm

I remember posting a Photo TR from this carnival I went to last year and not knowing the name of the Octopus... cool. And the Rock-O-Plane of Doom... thanks for reminding me of that.

Oh, and now I remember puking on Monster at CP when I was four. It was one of the few things I remember about that trip, and I couldn't remember whether it was at Conneaut Lake or CP... the color of the cars triggered my memory for some reason. Lovely. :)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
2008 Cedar Point Ride Op (May-September)
COASTER COUNT: 53 (42 Steel, 11 Wooden)
#53: Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood, West Mifflin, PA

pdcr777

circus world florida

Postby pdcr777 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:26 pm

my dad bought some mens colonge at circus world florida years ago and i was wondering if anyone knew of the name of it and if there is a similar product that smells like it?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

best thread evar

Postby brianplace » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:57 am

to me, this is the most amazing non-EPCOT thread ever. :)

does anyone know what most of those flatrides go for these days? I wonder if the prices have actually increased with inflation since the 70s.

I've always thought there was something "odd" about the Omni/CNN Center... I remember going when I was really young (well after the park closed) but the place had some sort of theme park vibe to it. And it still does--I couldn't quite put my finger on it but the World of Sid & Marty Krofft series was really illuminating...

The pictures of Cedar Point are amazing! so many trees!

Postby montezooma » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:03 am

Not since the days the trolls ruled the park has it been so magical...

THE MAGIC IS BACK!!!
Troll bag.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Banned

Postby RIP Psyclone » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:44 pm

^Yes, I agree, Shane. It was a pleasure letting you and Miles have those front row seats on Riddler's Revenge. :)

Von Roll Monorails

Postby montezooma » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 am

Von Roll Monorails - METRO

Well I am still so blown away by Magic Mountain! I can't believe that I stayed at the park from 9:00 in the morning until 9:30 at night. That is over 12 hours!!! 12 hours at Magic Mountain!!! And I enjoyed every minute of it. I am just so thrilled about the changes going on there. So thanks again to all those that made it possible and a special thanks to the management for doing such a great job and giving us our MAGIC Mountain back!

While at the Bash I noticed there was much interest in the Metro and if it would ever run again? Well we got the answer that pretty much seals its fate... "It does not meet todays codes" So as a tribute to the demise of the Metro I have dug up the brochure from the manufacturer for my next post.

I wonder if there was this much sorrow when the monorail at Carowinds was taken out?

RIP METRO
Metro.jpg
The Metro at Magic Mountain
Von Roll Monorail 1.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 2.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 3.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 4.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 5.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 6.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 7.jpg
Von Roll Monorail 8.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!