Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:32 am

RIP Psyclone wrote:It's was Shane's idea originally, but I think Bill should be Marvel McFey next Halloween.

Believe me, I roomed with Bill in Japan. He IS Marvel McFey!
And I mean that in the nicest way! ;)

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:57 am

Even though it was 1978 (when I was 5), I still have vivid memories of Astroworld. While I believe I was too small to ride some of the bigger rides, I do remember the Alpine Sleighs (didn't it have a couple of really small drops in that), that weird spider looking double ferris wheel, and the River of No Return (With King Kong). I rememebr seeing the Marvel Macfey shows in the kiddie area as well. Did they find a home for the Gunslinger swings?

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:23 am

^The ride wasn't moved, however the prop guns are being used on SFOT's Yo-Yo ride.

http://www.sfot-source.com/flats/gunslingerlayout.php
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Yes, the Gunslinger Yo-Yo from Astroworld is at Wonderland in Amarillo, Texas (its still in storage along with The Mayan Mindbender Roller coaster).

Postby montezooma » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:21 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:Yes, the Gunslinger Yo-Yo from Astroworld is at Wonderland in Amarillo, Texas (its still in storage along with The Mayan Mindbender Roller coaster).

^ Shouldn't they be starting construction of these rides that they bought from AstroWorld? A lot of rides from AstroWorld were salvaged: Batman, Greezed Lightnin, Ultra-Twister, Serial Thriller, Mayan Mindbender, but they all remain in storage. I hope that some of the rides make it out of storage soon and back to entertaining riders.

At least AstroWorld could kind of live on in someway if these rides get rebuilt. I know I probably would never make the trip to Joyland, but you can bet your sweet a$$ that when and if they ever get that shuttle loop up and running again, I am so there!!!!

astroworldfan1 wrote:Why Do all good things come to an end?

The simple answer to this question is:
Things always become "good" when they end and are no longer around. I remember the abuse AstroWorld used to take from enthusiasts in its last day, well now that it is gone it is almost like a saint.

Two scoops of Cyber Fiber!

Postby Cyber.Fiber » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:21 pm

This reminds me!
My girlfriends dad is an arcihtect, he worked on the "Original Main Street" theming and the Mountains stucture. He said that once he can find it all, he would give them to me to photocopy! Sorry this is not in its own topic, but I keep forgetting about it... this reminded me!

Postby montezooma » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:07 pm

BONUS POST!

Wow over 22,000 views! I am so impressed that so many of you are popping in to check out my thread. I guess you are enjoying it so I will keep on adding stuff, and as a bonus for the 22,000 views here is a little bit on a coaster I know all enthusiasts have a strange fascination with...

UPDATE: Just added this clip on Drachen Fire from a TV show called "Theme Park a Go-Go on E! Listen to the comment the rider makes at the end of the ride and you will understand why this ride is no longer around.
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ALAeXlQhlA[/youtube]
thanks for checking in and for all your comments!
Drachen Fire 1.jpg
Busch Gardens brochure from the 1993 season
Drachen Fire 2.jpg
Drachen Fire 14.jpg
Drachen Fire 3.jpg
Drachen Fire 6.jpg
Busch Gardens 1994 brochure. The last year of the corkscrew that followed the MCBR.
Drachen Fire 7.jpg
Did they really run trains on Drachen Fire that close or is this the beginning of Photo Shop?
Drachen Fire 12.jpg
Drachen Fire 8.jpg
Drachen Fire 9.jpg
Drachen Fire 11.jpg

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:55 pm

OK, let's see if I can answer some of your questions here...

I am not sure why they had to remove Laser Loop to install Steel Phantom, I have heard many rumors from; "it was sinking" ,"the foundation that the flywheel was on was bad and caused the flywheel to spin off balance" and "basically it was just too complicated for that park to keep operating" If anyone can fill me in on the correct reason the Laser Loop had to be removed I would love to hear about it.

The official reason was because all the other parks were getting multiloopers and megacoasters at the time. They did it for the sheer competition in the arms race.

The unofficial... That is there area where the original swimming pool was. When they closed the pool (because of mine subsidence), they just paved over it, made it the pay-lot, and "expanded" the park a little, with the Laser being the final addition at the time. The loop footers consistantly shifted while the ride was in motion, and you would witness this because the entrance to the park at that time was under the loop. They put wood fence around the footers, but if you looked over the fence and waited for the train to go through the loop, you could plainly see the outer footers of the loop move, causing mini-sink-holes around them. I would say they moved a good 6 inches in each direction, so a big concrete footer moving a foot total doesn't loop pretty. Not really sure this was the "reason" behind the removal, but i'm sure it helped. As we all know, the ride was in good working order, and was relocated.

I believe the year the Laser Loop opened the track was left primer red and later painted black.

It was actually the other way around. It opened with black track, and was later painted primer red. They never did paint the inside of the loop, but the rails became red.

Here's some aditional photos, not sure if I submitted these to TPR's little database, so if these are repeats, I appologize.
denden004.jpg
Laser loop 1988
denden018.jpg
Phantom Construction
denden019.jpg
Phanton Construction
denden023.jpg
Thunderbolt with Steel Phantom
denden006.jpg
Yes, the 80's were a mess, look at me in my acid washed jeans and jacket! LOL
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Postby montezooma » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:01 pm

^ Thanks for clarifying that for me. I knew there had to be some reason for them to remove the ride otherwise why wouldn't they have just kept the Laser Loop and added the Steel Phantom. After all at the time they were calling themselves "The Coaster Capital of the World"

I had heard that there was problems with the Laser Loop footings, and your explanation makes perfect sense. I remember walking thru the Entrance under the loop, it was a cool view while the ride was running but the entrance was less than attractive.

Also about the paint job...either way it was the ugliest of all the shuttle loops I thought. Too bad they didn't make it look like they advertised it looking on the front of the brochure.

PS. Loved the additional pictures you added, yes even the acid washed jeans, all of us from the 80's went through that phase, but thank God we came out of it!!!!
laser loop 1980.jpg
The Laser Loop would have looked awesome if it were painted in this color scheme!
laser loop 1980 1.jpg
That is quite a description for a shuttle loop! But it is all true. Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops...one of my all time favorite coaster creations!!!!

Postby montezooma » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:34 am

MAGNUM XL-200
magnum xl 200.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!