Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:54 am

Cedar Point Wintertime

Since most of us are probablly covered in snow at this time I thought this news clip would be appropriate. This video goes back to the winter of 1986 the year before Iron Dragon opened. It shows all the activities that go on at Cedar Point in the off season to get ready for the summer.

I hope everyone enjoys their Holidays, I will be off to Dollywood with my family to enjoy a gold ol Smokey Mountain Christmas.

-Shane

Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Blank Title

Postby Sean Menefee » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:46 am

Another fun addition. Seriously, thanks again for all of the effort to get this stuff online. The nerd in me greatly appreciates everything about this epic thread.

Happy Holidays,

-Sean

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks for putting this all together, and keeping it so up-to-date, Shane.

And best wishes to you and yours for the season.

I'll miss you on the Scandi tour. <sniffle>
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Intamin Free Falls

Postby montezooma » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:23 am

Intamin 1st Generation Free Falls

Happy New Year Everyone. I guess when my thread drops to the second page it is time for an update. I took some time off because I spent the holidays back in the Smoky Mountains. I love Dollywood during Christmas time! I racked up some new credits while there...3 to be exact. I loved Tennessee Tornado and Mystery Mine. Thunderhead I felt was a little overrated, but when it comes to woodies I much prefer the up and down drops to the twisters.

So now for an update. I have gone through my stuff and have gathered what I have on Intamins 1st generation Free Falls. It includes some photos of the original model that was displayed at the IAAPA show as well as some press releases from parks that installed them.

When these rides first debuted, they were the absolute sh*t. I worked as a ride operator on the Magic Mountain version and I remember the line extending for over an hour and a half wait. the public loved them! Of course as technology improved these rides became dated rather quickly and as we have seen in the last couple of years, most of them have been replaced by the newer Intamin drop towers or the S&S version.

Here is some of my footage of two of the rides, first the original Texas Cliffhanger at Six Flags over Texas which I shot opening year with super 8 film and second is some stock footage from Cedar Points Demon Drop.

-Shane

[tprtv]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=TexasCliffhanger[/tprtv]

[tprtv]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=DemonDrop[/tprtv]

not sure why the TPV version will not show up here in my post so you can either click on the link to see or just view it from youtube.

free fall.jpg
free fall 1.jpg
free fall 2.jpg
free fall 3.jpg
free fall 4.jpg
free fall 5.jpg
free fall model.jpg
free fall model 1.jpg
Intamin 4-1a.jpg
This early rendering shows a different approach back to the station.
free falls.jpg
notice that Six Flags over Mid-America is listed as having a free fall. I am not sure what the story is with this installation, I always thought it strange that ALL Six Flags parks had one installed except the St. Louis park.
Demon Drop.jpg
The Edge.jpg
e1.jpg
Six Flags Great America's "The Edge"
e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e5.jpg
e6.jpg
e7.jpg
e8.jpg
e9.jpg
This photo is actually the Free Fall at Six Flags Magic Mountain
dd13.jpg
Demon Drop. The only installation left in Northern America
d14.jpg
dd11.jpg
dd12.jpg
dd19.jpg
dd20.jpg
dd15.jpg
dd16.jpg
dd17.jpg
dd18.jpg
dd21.jpg
demon drop 22.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 am

As always, the best of the best!
Happy New Year!!!!
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Elissa + Hangman Fanboy

Postby FlippyTrick09 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:44 am

Demon Drop looks much larger than Freefall at Six Flags of Georgia, is that so? I wish these rides were still relatively popular, I always loved riding them.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 pm

^ I believe all first-generation Intamin Freefalls were identical---at least to my knowledge they only made one version. But I believe it depends on how they were marketed locally. SFMM advertised theirs as a "ten-story" drop, where Marriott's Great America (just up the state) advertised The Edge as being "131-feet tall," which was the actual height of the tower. For a long time, I too thought that theirs was taller than SFMM's, but it wasn't the case.

Those two are the only ones I've ridden. As I recall, The Edge didn't seem to last very long. SFMM's lasted from 1982 till it was torn down earlier this year.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I Love Bunnies

Postby Teacups Make Me Sick » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Seeing this makes me sad that Great Adventure took out Freefall. I'm so bummed b/c that was one of my first "big-kid rides".

:cry:

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:16 pm

EBL wrote: As I recall, The Edge didn't seem to last very long.
Eric

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_ ... lags_parks
On May 22, 1984, 3 unnamed teenage boys were seriously injured when the ride vehicle fell back down the lift shaft

Could be why...
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:29 pm

^ Yeah, I remember hearing about that incident. I don't know of any anti-rollback devices on the Freefall elevators---at least nothing audible to anyone waiting in line.

Honestly, I didn't care much for the ride, which is why I only rode it when I was with people who had not ridden it. A polite host wouldn't say, "You go ride that while I wait here."

A little trivia (which I'm sure I've shared here before): At one point, California's two Freefall rides were colored like Gumby and Pokey. SFMM's was "Gumby green" while GA's Edge was "Pokey red."

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!