Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby John Peck » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks for all this great coverage, Shane! Christmas has come early this year.

Shame they pulled down Orient Express, it looked like one amazing ride. Too bad it started having structural issues which led to it's removal.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby BrownStreak » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:13 pm

^After posting that someone told me they thought that the creators of the cult classic H. R. Puffin Stuff had created an indoor theme park somewhere and that there was a pinball ride there. Don't quote me, but I think that this would have been Sid and Marty Kroft.
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby youthink? » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:55 pm

Wow I rode the Express when I was 8 in I think the last year until it's retirement. It was my first big coaster and I rode it in the very back with my cousin and I just remember my stomach literally launching up to my throat and I was too scared to scream. :lmao: It scared me off coasters for a while.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Coastercameron » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Backtracking a little to B&B... I was looking at the birds eye photos on live search. These are all "new", but when you are over the stadium at B&B you can see a dramatic decay when you rotate the picture. at one angle, the stadium looks to be in decent shape, rotate 90 degrees and suddenly the lighting, fences, and seats are gone, and the field is completely overgrown. In the more recent ariel shots the stadium has been completely leveled.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1
Looks still usable here.

BAM. Looks like it will fall over soon.

Demolished in the overhead shot.

Studying the photos closer, the pitcher's mounds and plate areas of the fields are all covered in the "nice" pictures. Were the fields and the stadium in use until recently?

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:35 pm

BrownStreak wrote:^After posting that someone told me they thought that the creators of the cult classic H. R. Puffin Stuff had created an indoor theme park somewhere and that there was a pinball ride there. Don't quote me, but I think that this would have been Sid and Marty Kroft.

The World of Sid & Marty Kroft was an indoor park that was located on 5 floors of the Omni hotel in Atlanta, GA. I believe this is now the CNN building. If my memory is correct they did have a pinball ride but it was more a traditional dark ride, it was not this Intamin model.

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:54 pm

^^Didn't even think to look at Live Local. Thanks.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:03 pm

montezooma wrote:
BrownStreak wrote:DUDE! Up in the Intamin catalog they listed a Pinball ride! That sounds so kewl! Were any of those ever built and if so where are they (were they) and are there any left?

as far as I know, the Pinball ride was just a concept that never really made it any further than that...concept.

There was a pinball ride at The Wonderful World of Sid and Marty Kroft. It sounded like a very interesting ride. It was The park itself was at a bead location when it was opened. The old building that the park was in was demolished and the new CNN headquarters in now on the spot.
Official School Bus Fanatic
Coaster Credits: 44

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:27 pm

COLOSSUS

In 1976 Magic Mountain built the Great American Revolution. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, this ride totally started my fascination with roller coasters and theme parks. It was such an awesome looking ride and Magic Mountain was a great place to visit.

Two years later they built Colossus, the worlds greatest roller coaster. Magic Mountain had two of the greatest coasters in the world, I couldn't imagine that place getting any better. I remember being at the park on the opening day of Colossus and the place was packed. I had never been on a wooden coaster before and Colossus sure packed a punch. I remember having bruises on my thighs from the speed dip after the second drop. That thing was brutal. As a matter of fact it was too brutal. Unfortunately a woman was thrown from the train and was killed. Colossus was shut down and somewhere around that time the park was sold to Six Flags.

Six Flags did a big media push about how they had completely rebuilt Colossus with the main emphasis on making the ride completely safe. The marketing campaign at the time was "Six Flags is building a better mountain at Magic Mountain"

Here is some material from the time that Colossus was announced. Magic Mountain put together this little booklet called the Roller Coaster Almanac that gave a history of roller coasters and also talked about how massive of a project Colossus was.

Also is the press release from the park when Colossus was reintroduced and the park was branded a Six Flags Park.

The highlight of this update is pictures of Colossus when the trains were actually racing. That happened rarely when the ride first opened and probably hasn't happened since then.

"Colossus - the Greatest Roller Coaster in the World"
colossus logo.jpg
This says it all. It was a great logo and a great ride at that time!
Wizzard and friends.jpg
the park mascots show that it was a pretty simple time back then. You didn't have to have great character licenses like Bugs Bunny. All we needed was a couple of ugly trolls and a wizzard!
Colossus 2.jpg
A very rare scene. Colossus racing with the original NAD trains. The red side was Thunder and the blue side was Lightning.
Roller Coaster Almanac 1.jpg
The park sold this cool little booklet that tells all about coasters and Colossus.
Roller Coaster Almanac 2.jpg
The inside cover featured this picture of Kings Island's Racer
Roller Coaster Almanac 3.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 4.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 5.jpg
awesome picture of the model they had on display at the entrance of the park.
Roller Coaster Almanac 6.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 7.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 8.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 10.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 11.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 12.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 13.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 14.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 15.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 16.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 17.jpg
Roller Coaster Almanac 18.jpg
Colossus 1.jpg
Colossus 3.jpg
Colossus 4.jpg
In the upper right hand photo you can see the speed dip that gave major air time and many bruises to the thighs. When the ride was reprofiled this drop was lowered aprox. 20 feet.
Colossus reopens.jpg
Magic Mountain becomes Six Flags Magic Mountain and Colossus reopens. Notice the emphasis on safety, smoothness and reduced down time. The original ride had a pretty bad reputation.
Colossus reopens 1.jpg
Colossus reopens 2.jpg
Colossus reopens 3.jpg
Colossus BW 1.jpg
another rare time when they actually raced the two trains
Colossus BW 2.jpg
Colossus BW 3.jpg
Coaster Center of the World 1.jpg
Six Flags takes the reigns
Coaster Center of the World 2.jpg
Buccaneer.jpg
New Rides, New Shows, New Mountain
Enterprise BW.jpg
Enterprise is still missed at the park!
Magic Mountain Facts 1.jpg
Magic Mountain Facts 2.jpg
Magic Mountain Facts 3.jpg
Magic Mountain Facts 4.jpg
Magic Mountain Facts 5.jpg
Magic Mountain Facts 6.jpg
Colossus 5.jpg
Colossus Rides Again!
Colossus 6.jpg
Colossus 8.jpg
The demise of Colossus - Morgan Trains, no racing, MCBR...it's over!
Colossus 9.jpg
Still, it is a beautiful structure!
Six Flags Facts 1.jpg
Six Flags Facts 2.jpg
Troll bag.jpg
it's a wrap

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm

I particularly like how Playboy added that it was "the greatest amusement park thrill ride". ;)

Great stuff, Shane.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:16 pm

OMG Shane, are you goiung to post the Astroworld pics?? I love it so far!!
Official School Bus Fanatic
Coaster Credits: 44

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!