TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

Amazing content as always! Looking forward to another batch of updates.

There is one thing I don't understand. It says Sooperdooperlooper was built by "Intamin AG of Switzerland." I guess I'm just a youngin' who doesn't understand Intamin's relationship with Schwarzkopf, but can someone explain this for me? Thanks.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting Comet is listed at 1500 riders an hour when the website says 830 an hour. Could the seat dividers and seatbelts reduce the capacity in half or is it that they really loaded the riders faster back then?

Amazing stuff as always, Shane! It's great to see SDL when it wasn't obscured by Great Bear. It really looks like Revolution Jr. And I couldn't tell if it was from the 8mm transfer or not, but it looked like it hauled through the course.

It's amazing to see how much and how quickly the park has expanded. I'm really nostalgic for the period during the late '70s and early '80s when loopers were still a novelty and parks didn't have to have 14 coasters to be considered great. This stuff is just endlessly entertaining for me to look at.

Can't wait to see more!

(Also, the Krackel and Hershey bar mascots remind me of Judge Fudge from Comedy Central's Drawn Together.)

I find it interesting Comet is listed at 1500 riders an hour when the website says 830 an hour. Could the seat dividers and seatbelts reduce the capacity in half or is it that they really loaded the riders faster back then?

They loaded them that much faster. They have 2 people check restraints , one starts at the front, the other in the back and they go all the way through the train, so yes, everyone gets checked twice. Its stupid. For that ride there isnt a reason to check everyone twice.

I didn't get a chance to go to Hersheypark until 1990, so seeing these artifacts were very interesting. If a park was announcing that they were adding an enterprise and a rocking boat attraction, people today wouldn't be that thrilled. But in 1980, that was a BIG DEAL!!! Pirate is still there, but Cyclops is gone, taken over by some attraction they call "The Claw".

In 1990, they would have added the "Western Chute-out" and a Rapids Ride (that got you soaked whether you wanted it or not). Now, both of those attractions are gone. On my revisit to Hersheypark in 1993, they added a new coaster called "Sidewinder" and a shoot the chutes ride called "Tidal Wave". Both of these attractions are still in the park.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, even for those who couldn't be there at that time.

There is a lot of LOVE for Hersheypark, I am glad that so many of you enjoyed the first post of Season 2. I really debated what I wanted to start with but it came down to the fact, that I really like Hersheypark and I like it just as much today as much as I did when I first went there.

Of course I wish the SooperDooperLooper was still white and not buried in the Great Bear, but overall this park has maintained it's charm while at the same time growing into a major park with some really great rides and attractions.

I believe one of the reasons that the Comet had such a high capacity back then was because they did not check lap bars at that time. You basically got in, pulled the lap bar down and checked it yourself. The individual lap bar checking routine started up after the Lightnin' Loops accident at Six Flags Great Adventure.

Intamin did play a part in the developement of the SooperDooperLooper, they were the American broker for Schwarzkopf. That is the arrangement they had at the time. Intamin would market & sell the rides but they were Anton's designs and the rides and trains were built in his factory. That is why most of the custom Schwarzkopf coasters in the states also list Intamin as the manufacturer.

Amazing stuff as always, Shane! It's great to see SDL when it wasn't obscured by Great Bear. It really looks like Revolution Jr. And I couldn't tell if it was from the 8mm transfer or not, but it looked like it hauled through the course.

Yes, the speed does seem a little fast. I guess that is what happens when you transfer film to digital. Anyways if that ride really went that fast I am sure you would see brakes all over it. Revolution however, did travel at quite a speed and that is why you see brakes all over it.

I sure think those Schwarzkopf open lattice loops are beautiful!!!!

Song of the Phoenix

Here's a little nugget to get your weekend started on the right foot. The first entry from my Retro VCR collection is this little diddy about the Phoenix. Crank the volume and really enjoy this one, the lyrics are nothing short of brilliant.

Now some of the things I have in my Retro VCR I have no idea where they came from. I had even forgotten I had them until I went through old tapes and found them. So I don't know who this singer is when it was recorded and if it ever hit the Top 10, otherwise I would gladly give him credit for this gem.

Fly with the Phoenix!

PS- Youtube is not the best quality for viewing these video clips, anyone have any tips on how to post video in a better format?

This is something I forgot to post in the Hersheypark post but felt it needed to be added. So put back on your "Hersheypark hats" and enjoy this splendid picture of sooperdooperLooper naked (by that I mean it is not covered in Great Bear)

512570375_sooperdooperlooper1.jpg.3471587da82ed4568248b68c1daec38f.jpg