Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Little Coaster Girl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:05 pm

YoshiFan wrote:I find it interesting Comet is listed at 1500 riders an hour when the website says 830 an hour. Could the seat dividers and seatbelts reduce the capacity in half or is it that they really loaded the riders faster back then?

They loaded them that much faster. :( They have 2 people check restraints , one starts at the front, the other in the back and they go all the way through the train, so yes, everyone gets checked twice. Its stupid. For that ride there isnt a reason to check everyone twice. :roll:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Wow! Odessey Alley. Out of all these years being a HP historian, I've never even heard of that tidbit of info! You have an awesome group of photos and information there! Great Update!

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Awesome post Shane. Seeing SDL POV without the Great Bear was interesting.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:42 pm

I didn't get a chance to go to Hersheypark until 1990, so seeing these artifacts were very interesting. If a park was announcing that they were adding an enterprise and a rocking boat attraction, people today wouldn't be that thrilled. But in 1980, that was a BIG DEAL!!! Pirate is still there, but Cyclops is gone, taken over by some attraction they call "The Claw".

In 1990, they would have added the "Western Chute-out" and a Rapids Ride (that got you soaked whether you wanted it or not). Now, both of those attractions are gone. On my revisit to Hersheypark in 1993, they added a new coaster called "Sidewinder" and a shoot the chutes ride called "Tidal Wave". Both of these attractions are still in the park.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, even for those who couldn't be there at that time.
I''m not perfect; I just love to ride!!! :airtime: :airtimer:

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby kamikazewatermelon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Great start for season 2! :lover:

It's weird seeing the parks without all of the rides they have today, like SooperDooperLooper not being covered in Great Bear's supports.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Morcar » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:40 am

"you don't see any one of these three attractions in to many parks these days."

Apart frmo Blackpool PLeasure Beach which oddly has all three. Not sure if that's good or bad? :?r

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Mr.Wood » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 pm

This is my favorite thing on TPR. I love all the old stuff from EVERY park. Great job.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 pm

There is a lot of LOVE for Hersheypark, I am glad that so many of you enjoyed the first post of Season 2. I really debated what I wanted to start with but it came down to the fact, that I really like Hersheypark and I like it just as much today as much as I did when I first went there.

Of course I wish the SooperDooperLooper was still white and not buried in the Great Bear, but overall this park has maintained it's charm while at the same time growing into a major park with some really great rides and attractions.

I believe one of the reasons that the Comet had such a high capacity back then was because they did not check lap bars at that time. You basically got in, pulled the lap bar down and checked it yourself. The individual lap bar checking routine started up after the Lightnin' Loops accident at Six Flags Great Adventure.

Intamin did play a part in the developement of the SooperDooperLooper, they were the American broker for Schwarzkopf. That is the arrangement they had at the time. Intamin would market & sell the rides but they were Anton's designs and the rides and trains were built in his factory. That is why most of the custom Schwarzkopf coasters in the states also list Intamin as the manufacturer.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:23 am

Olsor wrote:Amazing stuff as always, Shane! It's great to see SDL when it wasn't obscured by Great Bear. It really looks like Revolution Jr. And I couldn't tell if it was from the 8mm transfer or not, but it looked like it hauled through the course.

Yes, the speed does seem a little fast. I guess that is what happens when you transfer film to digital. Anyways if that ride really went that fast I am sure you would see brakes all over it. Revolution however, did travel at quite a speed and that is why you see brakes all over it.

I sure think those Schwarzkopf open lattice loops are beautiful!!!!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:01 am

This was a great substitute for missing my Sordid Lives this week!

SDL in it's original glory... beautiful!

THANK YOU SHANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next installment.
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!