Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 pm

No prob. Google Earth pic below. Search "Arrow Dynamics" in Utah and it'll take you to Clearfield where this pic is.
arrow.jpg
S&S Arrow in Clearfield Utah

Banned

Postby RIP Psyclone » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Ron Toomer is retired, I'm sure. He's 78 years old this year. He hasn't designed a coaster in some time. I don't think he even had anything to do with X.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Arrow's plant was located in Clearfield, Utah which is about 20 minutes north of Salt Lake City. When it was bought out by S&S everything that was in Clearfield was relocated to S&S's factory in Logan, Utah, which is about 80 miles north of Salt Lake.

Postby montezooma » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:07 am

Riding on the success of the Corkscrew and the Launched Loop, Arrow started promoting custom designed coasters, the first of which where the Loch Ness Monster, Orient Express and Gemini. Here is their updated product line brochure.

From this ride packed it seems that the suspended coaster had just been sold to Kings Island. They have the track layout on the back side of the flyer but are still using photos from the test track at their plant.
Arrow Development 1.jpg
Arrow Development 2.jpg
Arrow Development 3.jpg
Arrow Development 4.jpg
Arrow Development 5.jpg
Arrow Development 6.jpg
In the caption it says "For double the thrills, and double the visual impact, a number of parks have opted to install interlocked launched loops." I wonder if there were others besides Great Adventure who were planning on this???
Arrow Development 6a.jpg
Arrow Development 7.jpg
Arrow Development 7a.jpg
Arrow Development 8.jpg
Nice hair ladies!
Arrow Development 8a.jpg
Arrow Development 9.jpg
Arrow Development 9a.jpg

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:52 pm

Funny thing...looking at the track plans for the various rides has inspired me to turn on the ol' AutoCAD and recreate ones for rides I've ridden. That was the first time that I've seen a track plan for The Bat at Kings Island.

Also, I went to Google Maps and entered Arrow's old address from their brochures (1555 Plymouth, Mountain View, CA) and discovered that it's just up U.S. 101 a couple of miles from Calfornia's Great America. No doubt I drove past there in the late '70s when operations were still there.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby linearinduction » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 am

TheRapidsNerd wrote:No prob. Google Earth pic below. Search "Arrow Dynamics" in Utah and it'll take you to Clearfield where this pic is.

That Google Map is Hilariously Wrong! :P It's best to ask a local where Arrow was located, after all, some of us have visited the plant when it was Operational. :lolr: Arrow Dynamics Manufacturing Facility was Located in the Freeport Center in Building H-12. In the Google Map, Bldg H-12 is located in the bottom left of the photo. The Building is now Owned by Lifetime and is a Backyards Inc. Store. :)

I'm not sure if many people know that in the 80s and 90s Arrow actually Contracted out the Manufacturing of their Steel Roller Coaster Track and Support Column Components to Fabriweld, which was located next door to Arrow at the Freeport Center in Building G-11. Fabriweld also did a lot of work for Vekoma as well, including the Manufacturing of Deja Vu at SFMM. I'm not sure if the others were Manufactured by Fabriweld or Not. Fabriweld also did work for S&S Power in the 90s before Intermountain Lift in Springfield, Utah, took over the manufacturing until 2003.

- Sid

Postby montezooma » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Coming up next Arrow is bought out by Huss....

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:38 pm

^ Honestly, Shane, I've quite enjoyed it. Perhaps I've not conveyed that well enough in any of my posts.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby montezooma » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:54 pm

In 1981 Huss, European makers of flat rides, had the opportunity to buy Arrow Development. The two companies merged and formed Arrow Huss. Here is their ride catalog. With the two companies merged they had quite an extensive product line.

A couple of rides are mentioned in the Arrow Huss History that never saw the light of day...the Space Chase and the Virginia Reel. I think they had an actual test section of track for the Virginia Reel. Unfortunately the Space Chase never made it further than the drawing board...it actually looks like it would have been a really cool ride.
huss 1.jpg
huss 2.jpg
huss 3.jpg
huss 4.jpg
huss 5.jpg
Arrow Huss 1.jpg
Arrow Huss 2.jpg
Arrow Huss 3.jpg
Arrow Huss corkscrew.jpg
Arrow Huss corkscrew 1.jpg
Arrow Huss flume.jpg
Arrow Huss flume 1.jpg
Arrow Huss mine train.jpg
Arrow Huss mine train 1.jpg
huss loop.jpg
Arrow Huss stand up.jpg
Arrow Huss stand up 1.jpg
Arrow Huss suspended.jpg
huss suspended.jpg
Arrow Huss suspended 1.jpg
Arrow Huss space chase.jpg
Arrow Huss space chase 1.jpg
Arrow Huss wood.jpg
Arrow Huss wood 1.jpg
huss custom.jpg
huss troika.jpg
huss swing around.jpg
huss pirat.jpg
huss enterprise.jpg
huss ranger.jpg
huss ufo.jpg
huss tri star.jpg
huss sky lab.jpg
Arrow Huss condor.jpg
Arrow Huss magic room.jpg
Arrow Huss magic room 1.jpg
huss 6.jpg

Postby montezooma » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:16 pm

I came across a few more ads for Universal Studios and Marineland, a park that was located in Palos Verdes. For awhile it was owned by Hanna Barbera. It later closed.

Also there are two flyers for "Mormon" night at Disneyland. Boy can you imagine the chaos that might have ensued had they scheduled gay night and mormon night on the same date??? lol
Marineland 4.jpg
Marineland 1.jpg
Marineland 2.jpg
Marineland 3.jpg
Universal Hulk.jpg
Universal  Battlestar Galactica.jpg
Universal Hollywood.jpg
Movieland.jpg
I had to throw this one in just for laughs. You can't get more "1970's" than this!
Mormon Night 78.jpg
Mormon Night 80.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!