Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:51 am

OMG! Thanks Shane! I was looking at your YouTube page and I saw your News Bloopers. I would never have gussed you were a news ancour!

The Astrowheel at Astroworld was a double Ferris Wheel. But who made it Nobody knows? Do you?

-Tatum
Official School Bus Fanatic
Coaster Credits: 44

No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Wow I kind of wish I lived back then so I could ride all those classics.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:44 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:The Astrowheel at Astroworld was a double Ferris Wheel. But who made it Nobody knows? Do you?

-Tatum

My guess would be that the AstroWheel and the Galaxi at Magic Mountain were both products of Intamin. They would be the 1st generation, then came the second variation the Zodiac at Kings Island and the Double Wheel at Hersheypark. Finally you have the Triple Wheels built at both Marriott parks.

Anyone else know otherwise????
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:01 pm

^ I believe you're correct about Intamin building Magic Mountain's Galaxy, which I rode a number of times. Just in case some of you don't know, Galaxy was located where Buccaneer and Swashbuckler are now. Notice that they share a station building and that there were two separate concrete pads there. That was for each side of the wheel to land in order to load and unload.

I think SFMM could use a new Ferris wheel-type attraction, in my opinion.

And speaking of the Triple Wheel, whatever happened to both of them? Were they scrapped or sold to another park after removal from the Great America Parks? To my knowledge, the only two ever built were the ones for Marriott.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:02 pm

1968 - 1980

Astroworld's unique double ferris wheel was an Intamin prototype, it featured dual loading of eight cages per arm. The Astrowheel served as a park landmark in its formulative years. The Looping Starship currently resides on its grounds.

That is from Astroworld's Tribute Site. Ethel as they called her must have been a fun ride! The whole area became darker when they took her out.

-Tatum
Official School Bus Fanatic
Coaster Credits: 44

Postby montezooma » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:39 pm

EBL wrote:And speaking of the Triple Wheel, whatever happened to both of them? Were they scrapped or sold to another park after removal from the Great America Parks? To my knowledge, the only two ever built were the ones for Marriott.

Eric

Well I can tell you about the Triple Wheel at the California Great America park as I was part of the team that was responsible for the installation of the Invertigo. The park wanted to take out the Triple Wheel since the hydraulics where shot and the control system needed to be updated.

The popularity of the ride did not justify the reinvestment so it was decided to use that site for the new coaster, which by the way was a last minute decision since the Morgan hyper coaster that was designed for the park was not approved by the city council.

The Triple Wheel was taken apart as to be resold and it was even listed on several used ride sites for several years. It was stored in the empty field behind the two log flumes until the site was needed for the addition of Stealth. The ride was then sold for scrap metal.

There were 4 triple wheels built, the two at the Marriott parks, one in Japan on the other in Korea. They have all been removed to make way for other attractions and my guess would be that they have all been scrapped. Bummer cause they were really great looking rides. I loved them, but I must admit they were more fun to look at than to ride.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Postby montezooma » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:35 am

ELITCH GARDENS the original

AstroWorld is the theme park I miss the most and Elitch Gardens is the traditional park I miss the most. They both met fates that I wish would have been different. Elitch was a beautiful park and traditional in every sense. The Gardens, The Architecture, The Sights and Sounds and The Rides.

Wild Cat was an out and back wooden coaster that traveled through the double helices of the incredible Mr. Twister. (the Mr. part of the name was shamefully dropped to be politically correct) Mr. Twister was a John Allen creation that when originally built was quite boring so the owners came back to him a couple years later and asked him to redesign it. He kept the twister part and added a couple of great drops before the original double helix and the ride was an instant hit!

The first time I visited Elitch Gardens I was with a small group of my coaster friends and we were on our way back to California from the RCBI (Roller Coaster Buffs International) convention at Six Flags over Texas. It was kind of out of the way but we felt Elitch Gardens was gonna be worth the trip. When we got to the park it was closed. When the few employees that were at the park heard the distance we had come they were nice enough to let us walk all around and under the rides. We really got to see up close those two coasters we wouldn't be able to ride. It sucked to be that close to those coasters and not be able to ride them.

I finally made it back to Elitch 4 years later and finally got to ride Mr. Twister. It was such an awesome ride and the new version, Twister II, doesn't even come close to the greatness of it's namesake.

This update is a little small just because I don't have a lot from the original park. Some press, photos, a couple of brochures and the highlight is a radio commercial for the three coasters. If any of you have anymore on this traditional park I would love to see it as I am sure many others would also. This park was loved not only by enthusiasts but also by Denver-ites. To have missed the original Elitch's truly was to have missed Denver.

Click here to see more GREAT photos of Wild Cat and Mr. Twister posted at Scott's Amusment Closet

-Shane

Elitch Gardens Radio Commercial
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=fW9KwuGvlGQ[/youtube]

POV of the original Mr. Twister

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UG6q8-SMwys[/youtube]
elitch gardens.jpg
elitch gardens 1.jpg
elitch gardens 2.jpg
elitch gardens 3.jpg
elitch gardens 4.jpg
Elitch Gardens 6.jpg
Elitch Gardens 7.jpg
map 2a.jpg
map 2b.jpg
map 2.jpg
Elitch Gardens 1.jpg
Elitch Gardens 2.jpg
Elitch Gardens 3.jpg
Elitch Gardens 4.jpg
Elitch Gardens 10.jpg
Elitch Gardens.jpg
elitch gardens 4a.jpg
brocure 6.jpg
brocure 7.jpg
brocure 8.jpg
brochure 9.jpg
elitch gardens 1a.jpg
brocure 2.jpg
Tom Selleck loved the Sea Dragon
brocure 3.jpg
brocure 4.jpg
brocure 1.jpg
Mr Twister Facts.jpg
twister facts 3.jpg
twister facts 4.jpg
twister facts 1.jpg
twister facts.jpg
Mister Twister color.jpg
post cards.jpg
Mr Twister Photo 1.jpg
Mr Twister Photo 2.jpg
map 1.jpg
new Elitch.jpg
past future.jpg
past future 1.jpg
present.jpg
future.jpg
Elitch Gardens 800x600.jpg
elitch gardens 4b1.jpg
elitch gardens 4b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Shirtless Dude!

Postby Twister II » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:41 am

Awww.... To bad I really can't remember my visits to this park. I have been told that the gardens were just amazing!

The classic!

Postby dr.gumbo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 am

IMO That was the most interesting update so far, I've heard very little about the old gardens until now.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Mr Twister

Postby daveydo5172 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:55 am

For those of us who remember riding Mr Twister, it truly is missed. Twister II can not compare at all, not even remotely. The speed, drops, twists and that amazing helix is what made that ride.....and in my opinion, very few coasters, even to this day, have come close to being as good.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!