TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N

If you are like me today you are sitting at home, in frezzing cold weather, reading theme park review and jonesing for the coaster season to begin. It's called the off-season blues.

Well here is a little something to lift your spirits and get you excited for summer V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N.

See how many rides or attractions you can name that are no longer around

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=ext_3boh[/coastertube]

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the background of the inverted shuttle model you can see the booth of Nauta Bussink. Could this be their model too? Since there is a picture of Evolution in the background, which had its debut in 93 it could have been taken in 1994.

For whatever reason Intamin/Giovanola copied the Pinfari layout for the Indiana Jones coasters. The RCDB page mentions that too.

I have a question about the Pinfari Supersonic Flight. Did anybody ride that thing? I guess the photo is from Sportland Pier, Wildwood New Jersey, where this ride once operated. RCDB lists it as a Galaxy/Cyclone (without pictures) which it was probably not.

I have recently seen a clip on youtube which had a short glimpse of this ride. The drop into the curve looked brutal! People´s heads were popping to the side as if they were about to fall off. I would love to hear some info on this ride.

See it here at 2:15

Here is what RCDB has to say regarding the Indiana Jones/Pinfari subject...

The track layout of the Indiana Jones is copied from the first looping roller coaster built by the Pinfari company. Pinfari called this a TL-59, the TL stands for "The Loop" and the 59 is for the ride's 59m width. This Intamin version copies the course, but uses a track style that is unique to Intamin.

And in Arrow's final years, wasn't the last project they were working on the pipeline coaster? I've never seen anything from them involving an invert... That model can't be theirs anyway; I see no clothes hangers...

In the background of the inverted shuttle model you can see the booth of Nauta Bussink. Could this be their model too? Since there is a picture of Evolution in the background, which had its debut in 93 it could have been taken in 1994.

Now that you mention Nauta Bussink I am pretty sure that was the booth this model was displayed at.

How come no one has come up with a list of defunct rides from the

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N video...let me get you started.

Worlds of Fun: Orient Express

Cedar Point: White Water Landing

Dorney Park: Flying Dutchman

Rides that are no longer there..hmm..

Willard's Whizzer- Great America

Wabash Cannonball- Opryland

Big Bend- SFOT

Schussboomer- WOF

Orient Express- WOF

Extremeroller- WOF

Zingo- Bell's

The Comet- Texas State Fair

Psyclone- SFMM

(does Turn of the Century count, since it's now the Demon?)- Great America

Texas Cyclone- Astroworld

Hellooooooo, belly dancers! Leave it to Busch to make sure kids AND their dads are entertained.

Great stuff, Shane! I remember salivating over the ubiquitous pictures of Python in the corkscrews as a kid. It just looked SO COOL. Imagine my anticipointment when I finally got to ride it in 2005.

I love how this park has expanded, and I think it's one hypercoaster short of being one of the best parks in the country. That said, it's still a little sad to see how the wildlife area of the park has contracted as the "fun" part of the park has expanded. The whole InBev thing makes me wonder if the animals will be part of the long-term plan for whoever purchases the Busch parks.