Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 am

Good to see a coaster will be open. It will be strange to ride one in 30-40 degree weather though.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:54 am

^Should be an invigorating experience. I rode the Big Bad Wolf in the snow once.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby printersdevil78 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 am

I'm crossing my fingers that Christmas Town will be pretty cool (I'm already sure it will be, temperature-wise). My girlfriend and I will be there on opening night with her 5-year-old daughter.

My only concern is the operating hours--our schedule will allow us to be there that day only, and five hours doesn't seem like enough time to do all the activities it sounds like they're going to have. If this had been a combination daytime/nighttime event (like Hersheypark's Christmas Candylane, which we attended last Thanksgiving weekend), we could have planned to be there earlier in the day, taken the youngling on the rides and then had the evening to enjoy the seasonal festivities--or even gone just for the nighttime portion the first day and bought a second-day ticket for rides before we need to leave late that afternoon.

But this is just the first year; I'm sure once the bugs are worked out, they'll consider longer hours for future events. Either way, I'm semi-excited to see some of this stuff.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Mark Rosenzweig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:28 am

Here's a list of rides that are scheduled to be open during Christmas Town (from http://www.christmastown.com):
[list]Train (Tweedside & Caribou Train Stations)
Griffon (weather permitting)
Der Roto Baron (Red Baron)
Wirbelwindchen (Kiddie Swings)
Der Werbelwind (Waveswinger)
Der Autobahn Jr. (Kiddie Bumper Cars)
Der Autobahn (Bumper Cars)
Der Katapult (Katapult)
Curse of DarKastle
Kinder Karussel (Carousel)
Corkscrew Hill
Lil’ Clydes

I think BGW s taking the correct approach with the first running of the event in limiting the amount of rides and in general areas of the park open. Much like when Hershey started their Christmas event a few decades ago. I suspect that if crowds materialize that the event will continue to grow (as in more of the park and attractions operational).

Interesting how the Skyride is not included in the offerings as all three stations are within areas of the park that will be open for the event and it is a Swiss-Built Cable Car system, after all (similar systems used at Ski Resorts).

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby esvadj » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:30 am

I am looking forward to it. I got the $5 dollar pass member tickets good for opening night, so I will be there the 27th as well.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby printersdevil78 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:53 am

One small bit of new information (I think): My girlfriend called guest relations to check on the possibility of a children's price (there isn't one--everyone pays full price). However, they told her that season passholders can purchase guest passes at $5 off the standard rate, along with the half-price passholder tickets the press release mentions.

Just thought I would pass it along.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:05 am

Robert Bauman, who was the Burgermeister in BGW's Festhaus from 1975-2002, died recently at the age of 95 (obituary here). He had previously served in U.S. Army and saw action in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam before retiring as a lt. colonel.

Mr. Bauman was a popular figure at the park and spent his days singing traditional German songs in the Festhaus--while decked out in lederhosen and swinging a beer stein, of course.

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:13 am

sad news but he lived a nice long life.

I remember my cousins grandfather and him were good friends.

They would talk all day while we would ride the rides.

Festhaus has never felt the same since he left and to my knowledge BGW has never tried to replace him.

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:20 am

^He definitely added a lot to the Festhaus's atmosphere, and he was always happy to chat with guests. I rather doubt they could find a good replacement for him.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 pm

BGW is going to hold a Christmas Town Q&A session on Facebook on Thursday, November 12, 2:00 to 2:30 pm: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=311678275014&ref=mf. I presume this is Eastern Standard Time.

You have to "RSVP" and post your questions on BGW's Wall. Scott Gasparich, the park's vice president of entertainment, will answer the posted questions.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!