Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: Google [Bot] and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Tempesto first, then it doesn't really matter. Apollo is a great night ride.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue May 24, 2016 4:46 am

Definitely start with Tempesto, followed by Apollo's Chariot--then work your way around to Verbolten, Alpengeist, Griffon, and Loch Ness Monster.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby octoroach » Tue May 24, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks for responding!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby VACoasterdude » Tue May 24, 2016 6:36 am

BGW will be extremely crowded on Saturday. I would recommend getting there so you can enter the park when it opens. Not only is this Saturday Memorial day weekend, its the opening weekend of the food and wine festival. You may want to investigate purchasing Quick Queue or Quick Queue unlimited, BGW's Fast Pass. Current pricing on BGW's website is $35 and $60 respectively for 5/28/16.

Note that on very crowded Saturdays, BGW will sometimes open LNM early, otherwise agree with doing Tempesto first, followed by Apollo's Chariot. I would then cross the bridge from Italy into Germany and do Verbolten followed by Alpengeist and then Griffon. I would finish with Lochness Monster, if you didn't catch a ride earlier. (Someone posted above that LNM will be running two trains for the remainder of the season. If that's the case, it's lines will grow very quickly and will probably be close to 90 minutes by noon.)

After LNM, I would grab lunch, ride the train, watch a couple shows and enjoy the park. Crowds will surge in the afternoon and they may have to limit or stop guests from entering the park for a few hours until the crowds thin out around dinner time.

As for night rides, Apollo's Chariot is my favorite, but all of BGW's coasters are great at night, IMHO.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue May 24, 2016 6:54 am

^Nessie is a bit of a "wild card" when it comes to lines. If they're using the lower queue, you know the park is really busy, and the line for that coaster can fluctuate a lot during a busy day. I agree with springing for Quick Queue on Saturday. It should make your day a lot easier (and allow you plenty of time to "graze" the Food and Wine booths).

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby octoroach » Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I've been convinced to get quick queue unlimited.

That's weird about stopping People from entering the park, but could be good to keep lines manageable . If I go out to my car can I get back in at that time? Or am I "locked" in the park lol

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Jman0477 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Any information on the 3rd Train of Loch Ness?
First week of april it looked like it was on transfer

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Saldek » Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm

octoroach wrote:1. what is the best order to do the coasters? Tempesto 1st thing in the morning due to longer loading / waits?

2. what is the best ride to get on at night? I enjoy pitch black through the woods like the beast / parts of diamondback at kings island if that helps

thanks!

1. Definitely do Tempesto first. The park will be packed this weekend so you should get there at opening and ride this right away.

2. All of BGW's coasters are fun at night, however, I wouldn't expect any complete pitch black rides. Apollo's Chariot sits at the front of the park so you won't be able to avoid lighting from the parking lot. Nessie's interlocking loops are well lit. Griffon and Alpengeist have some lighting on them as well and they both tower over the main pathways so there will be lighting from that. I would say Verbolten is the darkest since a majority of that right is inside a building, but during the outside parts you'll see some light emission from Oktoberfest and on the footbridge to San Marco.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Jman0477 wrote:Any information on the 3rd Train of Loch Ness?
First week of april it looked like it was on transfer

I mentioned this a few pages back, but as of now they're running 2 trains indefinitely. Based on the lines this season, it might become a permanent change for the same reason iron dragon and Orient Express did so. I was there last week and the third train is down in the maintenance bay. By a funny coincidence, train 2 is the one they took off.

I personally hope they go back to three trains. Nessie can be a long line at peak even with 3 trains.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun May 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Food & Wine Festival and a Quick InvadR Update

Busch Gardens kicked off its annual Food and Wine Festival on Friday, May 27--just in time for the Memorial Day Weekend hordes. This is my favorite time of the year at the park. Why? Because, like so many of us here, I like to eat, and BGW offers up some mighty tasty food and beverages.

So, what's new about this year's version?

Food Samplers: The park is offering two Food Sampler Passes this year--ten samples for $35, or 15 for $50 (the "Deluxe Food Sampler"). If you're with a group of people who like to lightly graze around the park, these passes are a great deal. They include both entrees and desserts, most of which range in price from $3.50 to $6.00. Stick to the more expensive offerings, and you can do quite well with one of these passes. The Food Samplers do not include beverages.

New Food Booths: The Scotland and Scandinavia food booths are out. While I will miss the Scotch Egg and Swedish Meatballs, they have been replaced by food from Virginia and Hawaii. Here's what they have to offer.

Virginia (located in Scotland)
Pork Rinds with Virginia Dips--Deviled Ham Pate, Pimento cheese spread, Smoked bacon & onion jam
She-Crab Soup--Crab bisque finished with sherry, Old Bay crostini & Chesapeake Blue Crab salad
Smithfield® Ham Tasting--Red Eye Country Ham, Hickory Smoked Pitt Ham & Applewood Carved Ham served with honey biscuit, apple butter, raspberry jam & whole grain mustard
Bacon & Cheddar Hushpuppies--Cornmeal fritters served with Virginia honey butter
Pecan, Bacon & Chocolate Bars--Sweet pecan caramel bars topped with smoked bacon & chocolate drizzle

Hawaii (located on the path between Ireland and France)
Root Vegetable Chips with Maui Onion Dip --Fried sweet potatoes, taro root & beet chips with caramelized sweet onion dip
Spam Slider--Fried spam with sriracha mayonnaise & grilled pineapple served with pineapple-coconut coleslaw
Huli Huli Chicken--Sweet pineapple & soy BBQ chicken served with orange & purple sweet potato salad
Tuna Poke--Soy & sesame sushi tuna in a wonton flower with wasabi aioli, served with wakame seaweed salad
Haupia Tart--Sweet coconut mousse with Kona coffee ganache in a crispy tart shell

I think Virginia's offerings are the stronger of the two. The Bacon & Cheddar Hushpuppies are very good (possibly the star of this year's festival), and you can't go wrong with the Smithfield Ham. The Huli Huli Chicken is the best dish at the Hawaiian booth.

Here's quick look at the Food and Wine Festival, along with a mini InvadR update. Note that these photos were taken over two visits: a beautiful Friday evening and a very wet Sunday (that is, today). The Festival runs on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sunday until the end of June.
01.jpg
"It's the most wonderful time of the year."
01a.jpg
Yes, those trying to lose weight might want to stay off Facebook until the beginning of July.
02.jpg
Can you think of a better way to start a beautiful Friday evening?
03.jpg
There's a bandstand near the Germany booth. They were a bit loud, but not bad.
03a.jpg
As we graze around the park, let's have a wee look at what's been happening on the InvadR site.
04.jpg
Looks like real lumberjacks are at work.
05.jpg
Rubble = progress to coaster enthusiasts.
06.jpg
The ground clearing is now on both sides of the train tracks. Yes, the train is still running.
07.jpg
This tree gave its life so that InvadR might live.
08.jpg
You can get a good view of the work from the train . . .
09.jpg
. . . or from LeScoot.
10.jpg
Anyone for a nice Spam Slider? I liked the sriracha mayonnaise, but wasn't crazy about the coleslaw.
11.jpg
As you can see, Spam has great cultural significance to the Hawaiian people. Well, since WWII, anyway.
12.jpg
Here's a better look at the Hawaii booth. BGW does a nice job with these portable structures.
13.jpg
This one even has a Tiki Bar, where you can score a Blue Hawaiian rum-based drink or some Kona Brewing beverages.
13a.jpg
I tried the Huli Huli Chicken when they previewed it the weekend before the festival. They give you a very generous portion, and the chicken is quite nice. The sweet potato slaw concoction was OK, too.
14.jpg
I think my Haupia Tart got a bit soggy today, despite my best efforts. It's nice, but the best dessert at the Festival is the Chocolate Lava Cake at the American Southwest booth in Fort New France.
15.jpg
Since I was already in Ireland, I snagged a cheese sampler, too.
16.jpg
The food artists are back.
16a.jpg
Now that is a great representation of a shark in ice.
16b.jpg
But, I think it started out looking like this on Friday evening.
17.jpg
It makes sense that the Virginia booth is in the Pigs in a Kilt stand, as it revolves around pork products (some made by a company that is now owned by the Chinese--Smithfield Ham.) They also sell four beers from two Williamsburg breweries: Alewerks and the Virginia Beer Company (they both make good stuff).
18.jpg
Yes, Virginia is just busting out all over.
18a.jpg
The Commonwealth as rendered in beer-bottle caps.
19.jpg
The Pecan, Bacon & Chocolate Bar is pretty good. It would be good even without the bacon.
20.jpg
The Hushpuppies and the honey butter are excellent, and I enjoyed the ham, too. Nice work, BGW.
21.jpg
Be sure to say "hello" to the Highland Cows in Scotland. Thanks for reading.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!