Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 997 - Report from Christmas Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby DrachenfireOP » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Cramped in what way? Now at 6` 4" I'm a bit nervous. I hate rides that slap my knees into my face...

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm

^"Cramped" in that it's a bit difficult getting in and out. Once you're in your seat, it's OK, but climbing in is a bit awkward.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Brassinthegrass » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Are we thinking that there will be speeches and stuff on Saturday? Or just open the ride to the public in the morning?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:42 pm

^They're doing a media event on Friday. Don't know what they have planned for Saturday.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 pm

^
There's no way BGW will "just open it!" They love to do their gimmicky things/put on a show. However I think that's going down on Friday, not Saturday

Here's the verbolten opening ceremony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8aRbIKUDmI

There used to be a video of Drachen Fire's opening ceremony online where Dana Carvey did a standup comedy routine, but it seems to be gone now. There's about 5 seconds worth of the opening parade in this NOVA special though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_i1jqJgflI&t=4m37s

And of course, it wouldn't be right to talk about BGW ride openings without giving the honorable mention to poor Fabio's commercial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kduwIo7S40

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Reckon we'll know soon enough. I hope Tempesto's mustache doesn't fall off. ;)

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1576593#p1576593

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:05 pm

cfc wrote:Reckon we'll know soon enough. I hope Tempesto's mustache doesn't fall off. ;)

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1576593#p1576593

too bad it's a family park.

they shoulda named it "Mustache Ride" instead of "Tempesto"

:p
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:36 am

Report from Tempesto's Media Day

Busch Gardens "officially" showed off their new Premier launched coaster, Tempesto, to the both the "traditional" media and the theme-park blogging community during a fairly low-key event on Friday, April 24. There were no big speeches or presentations, just an opportunity to ride Tempesto and get a POV of the experience. Park executives, such as Larry Giles, were available for interviews, and members of the American Coaster Enthusiasts were there to ride, and to be interviewed. The park also provided a sample of a tasty "Tempesto Panini"--a grilled provolone and sun-dried-tomato sandwich.

As for Tempesto itself, the ride is very good, indeed. The backward launch and the second forward launch have a lot of kick; there's a great pop of airtime as you crest the vertical section; the hang time in the barrel roll is pretty cool; and you finish up with a non-inverting loop and a quick drop back into and through the station. Yes, this ride is just crazy fun, and some folks there who've ridden its older cousin at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom said that Tempesto seems to have a bit more "kick." Tempesto himself appears in the ride's safety video.

As for me, I say that parks needs more Premier Rides! This company doesn't get the press that B&M and Intamin do, but their rides are great. Looking forward to even more from Premier in the future.

Tempesto also fits in well with Festa Italia. The plaza and entrance are themed to look as though Tempesto, a famous Italian daredevil, is in town to put on an exhibition. The whole area looks like a "sideshow," complete with posters and strings of colored lights (should look great at night). I think it freshens up the whole area. But don't look for the old "Splashus Maximus" water-balloon arena. Tempesto's entrance took over that real estate.

Here are some photos of the media event--and a few other things, such as prep for the Food and Wine Festival, at the park.

Here's the official video from the media day. Check out my daredevilry! ;)

001 - Copy.jpg
For those of you, and you know who you are, unfamiliar with the Legend of Tempesto and his famous "Loop-the Loop" (with the curious unnecessary hyphen).
001a - Copy.jpg
Members of the media and ACE line up to ride, and get filmed, on Tempesto.
002 - Copy.jpg
"LOOP-THE LOOP!" (Or, "Loop-de Loop," as Robb would say.)
003.jpg
"My god, why did I ever agree to this?"
004.jpg
"Our Father, who art in . . . aghh!"
005.jpg
The backside of Loop-the Loop.
005a.jpg
Hmm--unless I miss my guess, they're about 154 feet high.
006.jpg
How you folks doing?
006a.jpg
"Oh, we're just f-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-n-e!"
007.jpg
Let's have a look at the station. Here's the inner queue.
008.jpg
The long corridor where you consider your fate . . .
009.jpg
. . . while watching this.
010.jpg
Here's a new view of the Apollo's Chariot queue, which was once available only to cast members. You're welcome.
011.jpg
The station itself.
012.jpg
Tempesto says, "Choking on gum could detract for your experience in performing this stunt."
013.jpg
I thought you might like to see the front side of Loop-the Loop, too.
014.jpg
As I said earlier, I like Tempesto quite a bit, and I think it's good for Festa Italia.
015.jpg
Let's a take a little walk and see what else is going on at Busch Gardens. This will be the Far East booth for Food and Wine when it's finished. It's right across from the Battering Ram on a brand new slab of concrete.
016.jpg
The Caribbean stand is looking good, mon.
017.jpg
It will be time for tacos at the Southwest booth in late May.
018.jpg
Le Scoot shows off its shiny, all new flume. I think they got new logs this year, too.
019.jpg
Aw, the wee little Scottish sheep aren't bothered at all by Verbolten.
020.jpg
Getting back to Tempesto, don't forget the merchandise! (I'm sure that SuperShawn sill be sporting this look soon. Hmm--this could very well be him in this photo.)
021.jpg
Busch Gardens now has six times the speed--not four, not five, but six, I tell you!
022.jpg
One last look at Tempesto as daredevils, once again, brave the famous Loop-the Loop.
023.jpg
By the way, I am now an "Official Daredevil" with my very own autographed photo of Tempesto. (You have my permission to be envious! ) I wonder who the VP in Charge of Daredevilry is? Thanks for reading.
Last edited by cfc on Mon May 04, 2015 12:29 pm.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:25 am

^Thanks for the pictures, Tempesto looks great and so does its theming.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby TyRush » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:34 am

The daredevil character is quite the laugh. The ride looks great though!
If Intamin made a donkey, it wouldn't be tame.....well for a year

Visit our Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group page! www.psuthemeparkengineering.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!