Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 997 - Report from Christmas Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:32 pm

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 pm

I didn't check for a sign about Drachen Fire, but it would off the beaten path a bit--maybe around the left side of the Festhaus?

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:24 pm

Saw this off BGW Memories Facebook page.

img_6298.jpg

They have neat photo of the BBW being constructed as well.

img_6302.jpg

Link to the rest of the signs.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:28 pm

BGW is definitely on my list of parks I need to visit. I love the 40th anniversary signs, I wish my local park (SFSTL) would've done the same for their anniversary.
Top 10: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Voyage 3. Millennium Force 4. Maverick 5. El Toro 6. Thunderbird 7. Powder Keg 8. Lightning Run 9. Raging Bull 10. Goliath (SFGAm)
Click here for my trip reports!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:35 pm

They dug up a number of good construction photos for those signs. There's even a sign commemorating Threadneedle Faire, which was a games area between Ireland (or Hastings) and France way back when.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:35 pm.

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for posting! These are cool. I wish I could read the text but I suppose I'll be going there later this year! There's some footage of threadneedle fair in the video I posted earlier of Gladiator's Gauntlet if anyone is curious.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Nozzy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:24 pm

I went over to the park a bit later in the afternoon (once things were warmed up a bit!) and got quite a few pictures of Tempesto testing. They are below.

I also checked out the shows as a good way to warm up. I found Roll Out the Barrel to be fun, if nothing special. You can make it into the backstory of our heavenly pretzel shop if you want, which is cute. Anything's better than Entwined, right? Celtic Fyre has once again made insignificant changes to the dialogue that probably made someone very happy. Also, Conner (the dog) has been fired, along with the little drum band member, replaced by a live violinist. That was pretty cool. I also am finally completely convinced that the singing is live as there was a microphone problem tonight ^_^.

On a final note, the pretzel wrapped bacon is currently absent from the pretzel shop. I was tempted by the strawberry shortcake sundae, but alas, I could not brave the cold treat as Chuck did. Perhaps next time.

Anyway, the pictures...
_001.jpg
It's testing! It actually isn't a lawn ornament!
_002.jpg
Is this the start of the ride or the end? I forget, so no one will ever know...
_003.jpg
Through the banner!
_005.jpg
Crawl through the inversion...
_006.jpg
I looked like an idiot to everyone else in Apollo's queue taking this, I hope you appreciate it
_007.jpg
Still some railings to go in
_008.jpg
While so much attention has been on it's new neighbor, Apollo's Chariot does have this fine new office chair.
_009.jpg
Seeing Tempesto run with Apollo is pretty cool
_010.jpg
Dive-bombing the old ice cream
_011.jpg
Has there been a picture of the train yet? Do I get a prize?
_012.jpg
I could have stopped but I knew that you'd want more.
_013.jpg
I think this one was the start, so let's call that one before the end.
_014.jpg
I'll add that the general consensus among people was excitement. One guy kept talking about how he absolutely had to take off work to come ride on opening day.
_015.jpg
Kinda side view of train. The harnesses seem to come out a bit.
_016.jpg
Only a few weeks til we can ride!
_100.jpg
It's 40 degrees out- what better way to warm up than a ride through Pompeii?
_101.jpg
I noticed this appear last year near battering ram. Now it's labeled as Gypsy Wagon on the wolf path. The info sign says it's made of wood, but not too much else. What's its park related history?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:10 pm

I think they had some sort of "gypsy show" years ago, but I never saw it. I guess the wagon is just a prop they move around now.

I see that Tempesto's nose cone has been attached. Seemed more prominent in the concept art. Thanks for the photos. I left around 3:30 and didn't see any testing.

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Hah, the nose cone is... interesting... I would think it would be larger and lower on the train. When I first saw it on the hardhat video, it reminded me of the Drachen Fire trains, and I thought maybe they were going for something similar. But as it is now, it sorta looks weird. Overall the trains look great though, and it's neat seeing a three trained version of these guys!

Also yeah the wagon was for the traveling gypsie show back in the days of Hastings.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby whatabeast » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 pm

The thing that has bothered me about Tempesto since they started building it is how ugly the supports are... and how out of character that is for this park. But I like the "banners" that they have hanging from it. I hope they put a few more up, or otherwise hide the supports somehow. That would make for a better looking ride, and a more interesting ride experience!
Living in Michigan is awkward, because we passionately hate Ohio, but we always have to follow that statement up with "But Cedar Point is pretty cool. And Kings Island." 75 coasters and counting...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!