Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterchitchat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 am

This will add some what capacity to the park, but imagine those four hour lines!

Is there any way Robb can set up an automatic word filter for Tempesto. I vote on changing it to "The Pasta Coaster".
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby djcoastermark » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:54 am

I am trying to fit the color scheme with the whole pasta theme. I get the orange. I'm thinking a vodka sauce, mmmn. But the blue track has me stumped. Maybe smurf pasta ? Meatball colored cars maybe? This is going to be fun seeing how it all ends up. OK, Me be quiet now.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:03 am

coasterchitchat wrote:This will add some what capacity to the park, but imagine those four hour lines!

Is there any way Robb can set up an automatic word filter for Tempesto. I vote on changing it to "The Pasta Coaster".

Well, being as the name (much less the ride) hasn't been "confirmed" by the park yet, that may be jumping the gun. ;)
Last edited by cfc on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:58 pm.

Postby djcoastermark » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 am

Hopefully, with the progression on the ride that seems to be going, it will be open by April, as we plan to go to BGW and KD then. It's sortta our early season parks to go to because the crowds are lower and the weather isn't usually too bad for us floridians.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:56 am

^I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, as BGW tends to open new attractions in May, closer to Memorial Day weekend. But you never know.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 am

Kind funny it's obvious and still not announced! I wonder what the reason for that is.

And I like the colors.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 am

_koppen wrote:Well if it's going in the Italian part of the park then the color scheme should be annoying, just like Italians!

Joking aside, I actually like the colors, and I think the ride is a great addition to the park.

Poor Joke to begin with. Anyway, if they wanted a good color scheme why not make it look like the italian flag?
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

Postby djcoastermark » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:30 am

^And then they could have a great them song to play in the loading station. (from back in my childhood) On top of spaghetti, all covered in cheese, I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed, LAAUNCH ! I hope they do have previews in April, if not, looks like another trip. Yipee ! :b

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Opening Night of Christmas Town 2014

TPR was invited to check out this year's version of Christmas Town at Busch Gardens on Friday, November 21. And it really felt like Christmas Town that night with temperatures in the low 30s and some pretty wicked wind chill. But, hey, "Jack Frost nipping at your nose," and all that--it just helps set the mood. Well, that and more than eight million Christmas lights.

The entire park, with the rather odd exception of the Sesame Street Forest of Fun, participates in Christmas Town. Holiday Hills in Festa Italia sports "retro" decorations, much like you would've seen in a small town in the 1940s or '50s. Italy glows with silver and gold lights, while Oktoberfest's decorations are more colorful and boisterous. France is, once again, celebrating the "12 Days of Christmas" with white trees and, lavender lights, and penguins (yes, the Antarctic birds are back again). Ireland is, of course, very green. The single most spectacular display is the Polar Pathway by Escape from Pompeii, where you can have your picture taken with a Coca Cola polar bear.

So, what's new at Christmas Town this year? The big attraction is the new show in the Globe Theatre: Scrooge No More, which is the park's take on Dickens's classic A Christmas Carol. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the story: Ebeneezer Scrooge, thanks to the intercession of three different Christmas spirits, transforms from a miserable, miserly misanthrope into a rather giddy, good-heated, "God bless us, everyone" generous gent--all in about 30 minutes (at least at Busch Gardens). Yes, it is a rather fast-moving version of Dickens's story, with an original score. While I don't think you'll be humming the tunes when you leave, the show takes full advantage of the new projection and sound upgrades the park made this year, and even includes a little flying around (I didn't know they'd installed a flying rig, too). Good staging and an energetic cast playing multiple roles make for a good addition to Christmas Town--very enjoyable for families. All of England is pretty much themed to enhance the new show (much as it was for London Rocks and Monster Stomp on Ripper Row earlier this year).

The park's other shows are all holdovers from previous seasons: Deck the Halls in the Festhaus, Gloria in the Abbeystone Theatre, Miracles in the Teatro di San Marco, and O Tannenbaum, the synchronized lights-and-music show in front of the Festhaus.

There is, of course, plenty of holiday fare to choose from at the park's restaurants. The park treated us to Santa's Fireside Feast in Castle O'Sullivan in Ireland, which featured a very nice turkey dinner, as well as a chance to have your photo taken with the "Right Jolly Old Elf." Santa also tells the story of "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and Mrs. Claus and her elves work the room to make sure all their guests are happy (and that they've saved room for some very good cookies). One odd thing: the only beverage available was water, from what I could tell. I don't recall seeing a single soft drink there. You can get a steak sandwich, as well as turkey, at the Festhaus. Dickens' Tavern (or Squire's Grill) in England offers clam chowder and carved ham. The park also offers a buffet in heated tents in the Black Forest picnic area behind the Festhaus, as well as Dasher's Diner in Holiday Hills. There are traditional Christmas goodies everywhere, and a good selection of adult beverages, such as egg nog at Grogan's, spiced wine in Germany, and an intriguing gingerbread IPA (which I still need to check out) in England. You can also purchase a souvenir mug, which you can refill with hot chocolate for only 99 cents.

Verbolten is the only coaster that runs during Christmas Town, and you can also ride the sky way (called the "Flight of Lights"), the train, and most of the park's flat rides. Mach Tower operates in "elevator mode" as "Nacht Tower."

Here's a look at how Busch Gardens celebrates the Holiday Season.
001 - Copy.jpg
The ever-festive bag check area.
002 - Copy.jpg
The park is also working with the US Marines' "Toys for Tots" program this year. I'll be sure to bring something to donate when I visit the park again.
003 - Copy.jpg
I wonder if the creepy "Cursed" guy from Howl-o-Scream had to decorate this tree. His cell was here just a month ago.
004 - Copy.jpg
England is all dolled up for "Scrooge No More."
005 - Copy.jpg
Here's a bit of "repurposing": This creepy pub from Howl-o-Scream is now the equally creepy offices of Scrooge & Marley for Christmas Town.
006.jpg
These wreaths are new for this season.
007.jpg
This is one of many photo-op spots in the park.
008.jpg
"Dickens Tavern: Serving the Public since 1843. Have some ham. You know you want it."
009.jpg
Here's where they were serving the gingerbread IPA, as well as other Christmasy concoctions.
010.jpg
The highland cows wish you "Happy Christmas."
011.jpg
Coca Cola is sponsoring the Polar Pathway this year.
012.jpg
Careful--you just might end up on You Tube.
013.jpg
The soccer game has been replaced with snowballs.
014.jpg
There was a brief lighting ceremony at the Festhaus to kick off Christmas Town.
015.jpg
Park president Carl Lum said a few words, . . .
015a.jpg
. . . which were hard to hear because of this helicopter.
016.jpg
A switch was thrown, streamers went up . . . then nothing happened until, I guess, someone plugged in the extension cord. ;) But all the lights came on, and Christmas Town was officially open!
017.jpg
Festive gaming and gambols, anyone?
018.jpg
Who could turn down a Minion for Christmas? They really are taking over, aren't they?
019.jpg
Mistletoe Marketplace is also open for all your Christmas craft needs. DarKastle is closed, but I'm sure King Ludwig charges these vendors a pretty hefty rent.
020.jpg
From Germany . . .
021.jpg
. . . to the North Pole. (You can visit Santa here, too.)
022.jpg
This drummer in the Christmas store in Germany is almost as creepy at the animated snowman in Holiday Hills.
023.jpg
Need a nativity scene? What size? Busch Gardens has you covered.
024.jpg
This tree is decorated all year long.
025.jpg
My, what big balls you have.
026.jpg
You can purchase a Christmas Town ornament for each country represented at the park this year . . .
027.jpg
. . . or just a plain Christmas Town one, if you prefer.
028.jpg
Heading out of Germany.
029.jpg
"One of these days, sweet vengeance will be mine! Mine, I tell you! For now, I shall saw this candy cane--patiently."
030.jpg
"On the [fill-in-the ordinal] day of Christmas . . ."
031.jpg
What the heck am I gonna do with "9 ladies dancing"?
032.jpg
Of course, I'd rather have them ladies than 10 leaping "lords."
033.jpg
The penguins were very excited that night.
034.jpg
Well, except for these guys, who had just been fed.
035.jpg
Need gift ideas? Just check out this tree. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Even more festiveness!
036.jpg
Hmm--I do believe we're heading into Ireland.
037.jpg
Time for dinner--in a nice, heated room.
038.jpg
"Ho, ho, ho . . . no! What did Santa just step in?"
039.jpg
Kris Kringle has a good-sized entourage.
040.jpg
"Well, I tell you, that dog was this freakin' big! I barely made it up that chimney alive!"
041.jpg
Taking a "selfie," er, I mean "elfie."
042.jpg
All kidding aside, Santa is great. He does an excellent job with "Twas the Night Before Christmas."
043.jpg
We had great priority seats for the new show--right in the center.
044.jpg
"Toys? Peddling? Why, I have no idea what you're talking about, officer."
045.jpg
Everybody on the streets of Olde London Towne is having a great time . . .
046.jpg
. . . until Dickens's version of "Buzz Killington" shows up.
047.jpg
Scrooge could totally snicker snag on Cratchit from up there.
048.jpg
"Oh, I'm gonna 'bah humbug' you people so bad . . ."
049.jpg
The Ghost of Christmas Past is rather spunky--like Carol Kane in "Scrooged."
050.jpg
Scrooge watches in horror as he realizes that younger Scrooge is so not going to score that night.
051.jpg
Still, he does get to do some Dickensian line dancing.
052.jpg
The Ghost of Christmas Present in his traditional garb.
053.jpg
This picture is a bit blurry, but it gives you an idea of how they use projections to show Scrooge's passage through time and space.
054.jpg
Scrooge meets the Cratchits.
055.jpg
"God bless us, everyone!"
056.jpg
"Pull my bony finger, Scrooge!" (I loved the little puppet raven on the shoulder of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.)
057.jpg
Wow! Scrooge is a better human being now! Who saw that coming?
058.jpg
The "Scrooge No More" was a very popular dance craze in 1843.
059.jpg
"Well, time to give the Cratchits a collective heart attack."
060.jpg
"This kid is heavier than he looks."
061.jpg
And that's "Scrooge No More." It's very enjoyable, and a good addition to Christmas Town.
062.jpg
Let's check out some more holiday decorations, shall we?
063.jpg
After listening to the carolers, of course.
064.jpg
Coca Cola is the proud sponsor of the Polar Pathway.
065.jpg
"I will hide behind this tree. Then I will pounce."
066.jpg
I wonder if Coke is getting the electric bill for this display?
067.jpg
The burning tree is back in Italy.
068.jpg
I rather like Holiday Hills, as it reminds me of how my hometown was decorated when I was a kid.
068a.jpg
Of course, we didn't have a teacup ride or a Himalaya . . .
069.jpg
. . . but we did have giant, frightening Santa heads.
070.jpg
"Ho, ho . . .darn! Where'd I put my cell phone?"
071.jpg
The good people of Coca Cola strike again!
072.jpg
There's just something about those huge, old-fashioned Christmas lights . . . as long as they don't start a fire.
073.jpg
Time to head home and warm up with a hot shower.
074.jpg
Good night from Christmas Town! That's all--thanks for reading.
Last edited by cfc on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:11 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!