Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1046 - Howl-o-Scream media event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:20 am

a very depressing day.

I am still a little mad about them closing it before the season ended.
I thought maybe they would at least give us that.

JEFF
BBWbye.jpg
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby snowboard83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Well, the wolf has died. May it rest in peace. At least the weather semi cooperated. We got the rain, but it really started as the park was closing, and Norfolk and Williamsburg got more than 5" last night! I will try my first picture post here before long documenting the final hour.

Postby snowboard83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Well, this really has been a tragic year for suspended coasters. The 2 best, EF and BBW appear to have reached the end of their roads, and no ride will ever be able to replicate them. A huge loss indeed.

I had the opportunity to visit BGE on both sunday and Labor day. Sunday, train 3 went down for the count, and the wolf was not supposed to open until 11:30 due to this failure of sorts, as well as train 3 being in an unusual position on the transfer track, and I was surprised they opened the ride with the train half way onto the transfer track. At one point however, they did shut down the ride to cycle #3 around to get it in proper transfer position. Lines on Sunday were ridiculous, exiting the Queue house, and extending down to the bridge over the Rhine.

Labor day the line was much shorter, probably due to the dismal weather. Most of the day was fairly dry (luckily) until the very end. Riding in the dark and in the rain is INTENSE on wolf however. After riding both Beast and BBW in the dark, I would actually give the nod to BBW for better night ride, but everyone is welcome to their own opinions. Rides are (literally) night and day on the ride. Its a very good ride in the day, but at night, it turns incredible. In addition, the ride shocks are warmed up for the day and is capable of swinging better. This was very evident on Sunday morning, as I was the 2nd train out and it was running very "stiff." (insert morning wood jokes and that's what she said jokes HERE.)

Being in the final 15 rides, I witnessed an incredible amount of howling, media coverage, etc. I enjoyed the experience very much. By the time they cut off the line at 7:25, 3 security officials were guarding the line, all major park officials were at the ride, and the line for the front seat was back to the QQ/Handicap entrance, while all other seats were walk ons. They did not give you the opportunity to switch seats after your front seat ride, which would have been nice, meaning there were 2 people per train every ride usually, unless staff and backseat riders were on the train.

A few more pics may be posted a bit later, however I gotta make it short right now.

Let me know how everyone liked my first photo TR!

Thanks

NOTE: SORRY FOR THE BACKWARDS POST, START AT BOTTOM AND WORK UPWARDS! LOL, I WILL ATTEMPT TO CORRECT THIS LATER WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME! THANKS!!!
BBWflag.jpg
One of the final trains of the Wolf's existence, with rain falling like tears onto her. Thanks for 25 amazing years.
Enterthewolf.jpg
The last time anyone will ever guard this entrance.
ops.jpg
Last ops of the Wolf's existence
panel.jpg
For the last time..."The Big Bad Wolf is Running... No Faults" Couldn't have said it better myself
P1010506.JPG
Note: The following pics are from 9-7-09. Looking down the final breaks.
wolffinalturn.jpg
at least everyone in line gets a great view of the wolf!
wtfline.jpg
WTF!? really? This line snaked all the way down to the bridge over the Rhine. 2 train operation really hurt today.
reallylong.jpg
Really busy.
long.jpg
Man the Wolf is busy today.
evac.jpg
Evacuation car, would've loved to have ridden that...could count as powered credit!!!
P1010497.JPG
Note: The following pics are from 9-6-09.
Train 3 was down for the day, note the position on the transfer track and the ladder next to it. I have never seen a train in this position on the Wolf.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:13 pm

How long do you think it'll take before we start seeing pieces of this ride offered on eBay?

Eric "never got to ride BBW :( " L.
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby snowboard83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:20 pm

One more pic to drive home the length of the front seat line in the last rides lol. In reality, the line may have gone all the way down the walkway to the Queue, but this gives you an idea.
frontline.jpg
Walk on for all other seats...Note the media guy in the white shirt and camera.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Retro_Gaga » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:54 pm

^^ Wow I would expect a huge line for the front and back but not that big!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby nitrofan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:29 pm

I wonder how long it's going to be before they start ripping it apart. They said they closed it before the end of the season because of their time table for demolition, so we'll probably see track coming down pretty soon.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Even though I never rode this I would love to have a car hanging from my ceiling. Does anyone know if they are planning on selling parts of the ride because it was so historic.?

I guess I'm stuck with Iron Dragon and Flight Deck. Depressing. :( :cry:

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Spideyfreak » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 pm

^ I sent them an E-mail asking if they were going to sell parts. They said they had no plans to sell any part of it.

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Retro_Gaga wrote:^^ Wow I would expect a huge line for the front and back but not that big!

Now which was better? The front or the back?
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!