Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 963 - Food & Wine Festival Report
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm

VACoasterdude wrote:
cfc wrote:The Smokehouse can be hit or miss. Get there at the right time when they've just brought out a fresh tray of ribs and it's great; but if you get the last rack of ribs in the tray, they might be bit cold.

Trapper's Smokehouse used to cook their ribs outside on the large grill in front. The cooks would be there slathering the sauce on the ribs and the big fans were used to blow the smoke all over New France which would make guests hungry and draw them to Trapper's. However, I haven't seen them use the grill in several visits, both last Fall and this Spring. Maybe the ribs are pre-cooked now!! :shockr:

They still use the grill (especially for chicken). However, during the Food and Wine Festival they use the grill for the Canada booth (and cook the venison sausage on it).

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm

^ Yay, Canada! 150 years young this year!

Sorry Chuck, I had to jump on this bandwagon. :smile:

But - venison sausage? Interesting.
CanadaBooth02.jpg
And this, too! Cheddar soup in a bread bowl, anyone? (o;
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed May 10, 2017 3:08 pm

^Yep--it's good, too.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby dakota381 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 am

I can't wait to try it, 12 days from now. :) (among other things at the Food and Wine Fest)
Wood: 27 Steel: 102 Total: 129
http://coaster-count.com/list19687.xhtml

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby VACoasterdude » Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Did not see this posted, my apologies if I missed it. BGW has posted the menus for the Food & Wine Festival on Its website. Prices seem pretty close to last year's. Three new food stands will be available this year: India, Mediterranean, and Island Freeze Frozen Drinks (prices for this stand aren't posted yet!) An interesting write up about about how the India food stand was developed is found here: https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/food-and-wine/menus/india/look-book

India includes Tandoori Chicken, Samosas (Indian savory pastry filled with curried potatoes & peas), Spicy Potato Curry, and Mango Burfi (mango & coconut snowballs). Mediterranean includes Halloumi (grilled greek cheese with honey), Lamb Burger Slider, Falafel, and Bakalava. Island Freeze Frozen Drinks includes Rum Runners. Pina Colada, Mojito, Bahama Breeze, Sangria (also found at the Spain food stand), Strawberry Daiquiri, Shark Bite, Belini.

Food and Beverage Sampler - 10 food and beverage samples - $45, 15 food and beverage samples $60.

More info about BGW's Food & Wine Festival: https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/food-and-wine

I plan on going in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to Chuck's report sometime after it opens May 26.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Rayj » Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 pm

My cousin is overweight with a size 40 waist. He could not fit on nitro or el toro at GA due to his large thighs. I plan on going to BGW with him sometime during the summer, are there any coasters that he will have complications with?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat May 27, 2017 8:11 am

VACoasterdude wrote:
Looking forward to Chuck's report sometime after it opens May 26.

Sigh! Am I really that predictable? Well, I guess I am. ;)

I spent Friday night (May 26) at the park to sample some of the new offerings at this year's edition of Food and Wine. As mentioned earlier, there are three new booths:

Mediterranean--If you're a fan of pizza cones, you're out of luck for a while, as this permanent food booth across from Escape from Pompeii has undergone it's usual Food and Wine Festival transformation. It used to be "Greece," and you can still sample the Halloumi (griddled Greek cheese with clover honey and pistachios). But it was all about the new Lamb Burger Slider on Friday night. The wee little lamb burger comes with a slice of cucumber and tomato with feta cheese spread, wrapped in pita bread (there's some pasta salad, too), and it's very good. I'm definitely going to try the Falafel (chickpea fritters) next time. Baklava and Ouzo round out the menu.

Island Freeze--Get your frozen adult beverages across from Verbolten. I didn't try one last night, but just might on a typically hot Virginia summer day.

India--You'll find this colorful tribute to the cuisine of the subcontinent in Germany, across from DarKastle. I tried the Tandoori Chicken, which was very tasty (and a bit spicy). The Spicy Potato Curry and Samosas looked pretty good, too.

The American Southwest Booth, which has moved from Canada to Scotland, is offering Ghost Pepper Guac this year--I had to check that out. The only minor bummer is that the France booth, with its yummy steak and coq au vin, is out this year.

Don't forget to pick up a festival guide for menus and a handy map locating all the booths. The park is also offering the "Busch Gardens Bot" (via Facebook Messenger), with event information, recipes, and other "fun stuff." Cashless wristbands and sampler cards (10 or 15 dishes or beverages) are available, as are wine and Scotch tastings. Pairings of Note is a new event at Castle O'Sullivan in Ireland: You can try six different samples pairing food with the appropriate wine--and live music. Or perhaps you'd prefer a Wine on the Rhine cruise.

Who wants to see pictures of buildings and food?
001.jpg
OK, where's the food at! I'm hungry!
002.jpg
Look--people at a water park riding slides and having actual fun! ;)
003.jpg
The Virginia booth was back--and busy.
004.jpg
I'm sure there are some people who would spend all day here, until they need to be carried out.
005.jpg
Welcome to the booth formally known as "Greece."
006.jpg
Here's the menu. I'm sure that many of you are happy that you can still get the griddled Greek cheese.
007.jpg
I think the Lamb Slider was a step up from the kabobs of previous years--very tasty.
009.jpg
There are food demos, too. Here we see the proper method for torturing a slab of tofu.
012.jpg
So, let's see what's new in Germany. (Yes, one coaster picture as per enthusiast law.)
013.jpg
As you all know, Germany is renowned for frozen tropical beverages, . . .
014.jpg
. . . Argentinian wine, . . .
015.jpg
. . . and Indian food.
015a.jpg
I didn't know they grew that much curry in Germany.
016.jpg
Here's a peek at the menu.
017.jpg
The Tandoori Chicken (with cardamon ginger rice) was very good . . .
018.jpg
. . . and Bollywood elephant approved.
018a.jpg
There's a craft show by DarKastle, too. The woman in the middle of the picture has been selling prints of her paintings at the park for a few years now.
019.jpg
And, if you must, you can still get German food and beer in Germany. ;)
020.jpg
What? There's guacamole?
021.jpg
BGW removed some of its animal displays this year. I wonder what they have planned for this space between France and Ireland?
022.jpg
Hmm--no guac at the Tiki Bar. Let's move on.
023.jpg
Aha! Should've guessed they'd have guacamole in Scotland.
024.jpg
Might just need some beer to handle the ghost pepper.
025.jpg
Cover me--I'm going in! This guac is kind of sneaky. It doesn't seem spicy at first, but it heats up a bit later. Good stuff.
008.jpg
I needed a mellow dessert after the Ghost Pepper Guac.
026.jpg
This Ginger-Lemongrass Custard should fill the bill.
027.jpg
The festival will be running on Memorial Day (Monday), but remember that it's only Friday-Sunday until July 2. Thanks for reading.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat May 27, 2017 11:06 am

Yum! It all looks great, Chuck.

Yeah, the coasters too. :wink:

Thanks for sharing your food.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sun May 28, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for the report, Chuck. I'll be visiting Busch Gardens at the end of June and it'll be my first time checking out F&W, looking forward to it.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 am

Rayj wrote:My cousin is overweight with a size 40 waist. He could not fit on nitro or el toro at GA due to his large thighs. I plan on going to BGW with him sometime during the summer, are there any coasters that he will have complications with?

Alpengeist & Griffon both have "big boy" seats. . so no issues there.

and Apollo should be no issue either.

If anything, Tempesto will be an issue, and possibly LNM, due to how tight the cars are. . . waist won't be an issue, but large thighs might be.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!