Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 997 - Report from Christmas Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nothing beats Cali coasters

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby chickenbowl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I just want someone to explain to me how easily a block brake can "malfunction." They're designed with so much precision, and how would this malfunction cause the train to valley? If they're so easy to malfunction, why aren't trains crashing everyday? Hmm, I'm just a bit confused about this "accident."
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby asimowalk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:51 pm

chickenbowl wrote:I just want someone to explain to me how easily a block brake can "malfunction." They're designed with so much precision, and how would this malfunction cause the train to valley? If they're so easy to malfunction, why aren't trains crashing everyday? Hmm, I'm just a bit confused about this "accident."

In the first testing stages for the coaster, there is probably no automated program to run the ride. It could be that the train (mind you that it's empty so it's lighter) was stopped on the brake run very hard in a way that part of it was still hanging off so it had enough weight to pull the train backwards. That's the best that I could come up with with this story...

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:02 pm

I also don't understand how the block can malfunction. If the trigger for the brake is at the center of the train or further back, there should not be a problem, because more than half of the train would have already crested over the top of the helix.

If it's in the front and the train stops hard right at the beginning, it's totally going to roll back and eventually valley.

As for the truck, it's completely logical (albeit totally dangerous) to park it right in the center of the helix so the winch can get a straight shot up and over the pulley, and approximately line up with the first hill's track so the train can get up and over. Like I said though, it's totally dangerous to be there, as the train probably weighs more than the truck that's winching it out.

Possible lawsuit against the company that made the straps that held up the cable?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Got back from a long day at the park...

- Ramp Jam is in full force. Wanna get a great view of Verbolten? You can get some cool bridge shots from the DF area. Building looks smaller from back there than it does from the Bumper Car house. Oh and the skateboarders/BMX bikers were awesome.
- Park was overrun with bands today.
- Got an interview for Verbolten crew 2012. Hopefully things work out for the best. :)
- Saw some higher ups around Verbolten. The ride was supposedly testing (BGWFans leaked video footage of the ride running).
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby TXman308 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:57 pm

And here is that video (sorry for the annoying music, not mine).

Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:25 am.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Love how quick it launches into the show building and how fast it looks like it'll be taking that last little airtime hill, judging by the speed it turns into the brakes with! I wish it didn't roll so slow / get braked so much in the bridge, but I'm guessing there might be some noises and stuff (squealing wheels, breaking wooden beams, etc.) so that could still be cool!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby sammmmmy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:18 pm

^ I wouldn't be so quick to say its going to slow down exactly that much at the bridge. If I recall correctly, tons of coasters with LSMs in the initial testing stages slow down/don't slow down a considerable amount at all blocks, and then the park adjusts the LSMs accordingly. Fingers crossed it'll go a bit faster! :airtime:
"Okay everyone the photo spot is after the overbank,, so everyone remember to pose like a terrified black woman"

FAVORITE: Tie between Incredible Hulk and Millennium Force
LAST RIDDEN: Bizarro

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Hopefully they can get Yellow train back into operation. I really want to see them haul [censored] with five trains on opening day.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:34 pm

^^Oh, I know that! So yeah, I'm hoping it'll move a little faster, but I know they said they had a few things still up their sleeve (and something about an "effect" for the bridge?) so I'm just waiting to see! Can't wait to ride this thing no matter how fast or slow it goes, for real.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:13 pm

I think BGWFans has sufficiently made asses out of themselves on this one (as if it was possible to do so even more). Thankfully whatever happened wasn't even remotely as serious as they panicked and reported.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!