Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 997 - Report from Christmas Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Seems So Surreal

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby mike541x » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 pm

^Agreed. Last time I rode Transylvania Express was ten years ago, such a great HOS attraction! Six Flags America used to do the same thing with their train ride, even since the Adventure World days but they no longer do that anymore. What a shame...

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 am

Came across this post via Consumerist:

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/features/2015/10/19/chesapeake-man-denied-entrance-to-busch-gardens-for-attire/74211046/
Kilt-wearing man denied entrance to Busch Gardens

A Norfolk man claims he was denied entry at Busch Gardens for wearing a kilt.

According to Hex Nottingham, Busch Gardens employees told him he could not wear a "costume" inside the park at Howl-O-Scream.

"I've been a customer for decades and a regular pass holder, and this has left a terrible stain on the honour of my culture as well as my ethnic pride," says Nottingham.

The following is the official costume policy for Busch Gardens:

"For the safety of our guests and performers, we do not allow costumes in the park any time of the year, but especially not during Howl-O-Scream.

This policy is in place to ensure the safety of guests and team members who want a safe and enjoyable experience. The park does not wish to alienate anyone who wears traditional clothing representing their culture or heritage. However, if the clothing could confuse guests into thinking the wearer is part of the official Howl-O-Scream experience then we will not allow it in the park."

Before leaving the park, Nottingham recorded a video of himself and posted it to Facebook. He also formally wrote to Busch Gardens in hopes of getting answers to his complaint.

There's also a video on the click-through.
That coaster dad [278] and that coaster kiddo [156]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Wild Eagle. El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:42 pm

coneyislandchris wrote:Came across this post via Consumerist:

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/features/2015/10/19/chesapeake-man-denied-entrance-to-busch-gardens-for-attire/74211046/
Kilt-wearing man denied entrance to Busch Gardens

A Norfolk man claims he was denied entry at Busch Gardens for wearing a kilt.

According to Hex Nottingham, Busch Gardens employees told him he could not wear a "costume" inside the park at Howl-O-Scream.

"I've been a customer for decades and a regular pass holder, and this has left a terrible stain on the honour of my culture as well as my ethnic pride," says Nottingham.

The following is the official costume policy for Busch Gardens:

"For the safety of our guests and performers, we do not allow costumes in the park any time of the year, but especially not during Howl-O-Scream.

This policy is in place to ensure the safety of guests and team members who want a safe and enjoyable experience. The park does not wish to alienate anyone who wears traditional clothing representing their culture or heritage. However, if the clothing could confuse guests into thinking the wearer is part of the official Howl-O-Scream experience then we will not allow it in the park."

Before leaving the park, Nottingham recorded a video of himself and posted it to Facebook. He also formally wrote to Busch Gardens in hopes of getting answers to his complaint.

There's also a video on the click-through.

This guy's garb might've been a problem a few years back at Howl-o-Scream. One of the TERROR-tories was "The Moor," and it was haunted by big Scottish warriors in kilts.

I hope he enjoys his 15 minutes of fame.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:42 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:57 am

Update to the "Kilt Controversy" from the park's Facebook page:

There has been some debate on our Facebook pages about distinguishing true costumes vs. attire worn for cultural reasons. Our theme parks are inclusive and welcoming to guests of all cultures. We must adhere to a strict no-costume policy during our Halloween events to ensure guest safety, but we also recognize and accept guests wearing traditional clothing that represent their heritage. That differentiation can sometimes be subjective, as with this instance.
We regret any confusion this has caused, and have clarified that kilts are permitted in our parks during these special events, just as they are on a typical day. We welcome our kilt-wearing friends out to enjoy Howl-O-Scream.

But ye better be wearin' something under your sporran, laddie.

And in other news (also from the park's Facebook page):

Dear Italian lovers, Howl-O-Scream will be the last time you'll be able to enjoy the restaurant in Italy as it is now. We're revamping it and turning it into something spectacular next spring. Be on the look out for insider updates.

The word is that they're switching from the old cafeteria set up to a "marketplace," which will offer Italian, Mediterranean, and Asian entrees (in honor of Italian explorer Marco Polo's trip to China). Sound good to me--we'll see how it turns out next season.
Last edited by cfc on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:48 am.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby TyRush » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Their PR department had to be laughing in tears while writing about accepting kilts into the park :lol:
If Intamin made a donkey, it wouldn't be tame.....well for a year

Visit our Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group page! www.psuthemeparkengineering.com/

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:46 am

Any idea of what the crowds should be like on the last day for HOS, Nov 1st? I'm planning on making a trip somewhere and ride some coasters before the season ends. I plan to do some houses as well, if the crowds aren't bad.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:44 am

^That's a good question. In the past, HOS has ended earlier than November 1. I'm thinking it'll be fairly busy, but not outrageous.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby dakota381 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Can anyone tell me how crowded/busy BGE will be on opening day of Christmastown? Hubby and I are passing through and thought we'd stop to check it out on Black Friday. Hope everyone will be shopping so we'll have the park to ourselves. :p

TIA!
Wood: 27 Steel: 102 Total: 129
http://coaster-count.com/list19687.xhtml

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Speaking of BGW's holiday event . . .

Christmas Town 2015

I missed the opening weekend of Christmas Town this year because I was celebrating Thanksgiving with friends in western North Carolina. It was unseasonably warm and dry in the Smokies most of the weekend (rain didn't roll in until Sunday), and you could walk around in shirtsleeves as temps hit the low 60s during the afternoon. I understand the same was true in Williamsburg that weekend.

That was not the case last Friday night when I visited Christmas Town for the first time this year. Yes, it was definitely Christmas cold after the sun went down and the thermometer dipped to the high 30s. But that's good. It merely adds to the festive atmosphere when you can see your own breath.

The park was pretty busy that night; this Sunday is the the annual Grand Illumination in Colonial Williamsburg, so there are a lot of tourists in town, and BGW was using all its parking lots except for the overflow lots down on Rt. 60. Still, it was pretty manageable, even though I was "run over" by some poor old lady on an ECV. As usual, the park was beautifully decorated, with Holiday HIlls (Festa Italia) and the Polar Pathway (Escape from Pompeii) standing out. There were two big changes this year:

1. No live-penguin walk-through exhibit (although you can still get your photo with a guy in a penguin suit over by Apollo's Chariot); and
    2. Twas that Night, a new ice show starring Olympic silver medalist Elvis Stojko, in the outdoor theatre in France (this explains what happened to the penguins--they used to be in the theatre's backstage area).

I'm not a big fan of ice shows, but I checked out Twas that Night because it's new for this year. It's a version of the classic poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (aka, "Twas the Night Before Christmas"), with a some of the Nutcracker thrown in. Elvis and his family return from shopping, the kids go to bed and dream up "visions of sugar plums" (the Nutcracker bit), Elvis gets into a "dance off" with Santa, and the kids wake up and open gifts. The show is pretty well staged (Santa has a good entrance), and they even throw in a bit of pyro. All in all, a good Christmas show and a nice fit for BGW's Christmas Town audience. Still, for my money, Scrooge No More (Globe Theatre) is the best show (I'm a sucker for Christmas Carol adaptations). Gloria (Abbeystone Theatre), Miracles (San Marco Theatre), Deck the Halls (Festhaus), and O Tannenbaum (in front of the Festhaus) are running this year, too. Quick Queue is available for shows (and Santa), you can still enjoy a nice turkey dinner at Santa's Fireside Feast in Ireland, and reserved seating is available in the Festhaus for Deck the Halls.

Here's a bit of O Tannenbaum.

The only coaster running during Christmas Town is Verbolten (temperature permitting), and I think all the flat rides were running, too (Forest of Fun is closed). I know that I'll be going back to partake of more of the park's great Christmas fare.

Here's a look at Christmas Town 2015.
001.jpg
Hard to believe that Christmas Town is seven years old this year. It really has become a tradition in Williamsburg.
002.jpg
If these snowflakes were real, they'd cut you in half as they fell.
003.jpg
The traditional Christmas Town tree . . .
004.jpg
. . . with really big balls.
005.jpg
Hmm--have to check these out sometime.
006.jpg
Nothing says "Christmas" like a wagon full of salt, tomatoes, and squash.
007.jpg
Cheesesteak sandwiches are, it seems, "traditional Christmas fare."
008.jpg
This friendly fellow will be happy to serve you a nice Sam Adams Fezziwig Ale or Blue Moon Gingerbread-Spiced Beer at Cobblestone Ale & Spirits. He has some other very nice adult beverages, too.
009.jpg
Instead of the big snowflakes hanging over Scotland as in past years, the park is using these snow globes with "holographic" snow flakes in them. They look much nicer in person.
010.jpg
But they're still having a "Blue Christmas" in Scotland.
011.jpg
"Sit on me! I dare you!"
012.jpg
The Claus exhorts his followers to kneel before his majesty on the Polar Pathway.
013.jpg
I really like these golden Christmas trees on the path to San Marco. They smell great, too.
014.jpg
One of the prettiest sights at Christmas Town.
015.jpg
This food stand was all themed up as the Crow's Nest Grill for Howl-o-Scream but was never open. Well, you can get a nice sausage-and-peppers sandwich there during Christmas Town.
016.jpg
"Enjoy Me-mas Town!"
017.jpg
"No one ever talks about me during Christmas."
018.jpg
"Oh, Joesph sweetie, don't be so whiny. Why don't you go to the nice store next door . . .
019.jpg
. . . and get us all some nice cookies, and maybe a little wine?"
020.jpg
Gunther loves Christmas, and I hear that he and Gerta are offering special rates on car rentals in Germany. Of course, you may take an unexpected detour and never return, but what a bargain.
021.jpg
Let's see what's happening over at the Festhaus.
022.jpg
Well, there is "Deck the Halls," . . .
023.jpg
. . . but I'm here for a roast sirloin sandwich and a glass of Fat Tire Accumulation White IPA
024.jpg
They've gussied up the model train set in the Germany gift shop.
025.jpg
Not for sale, of course, but it looks cool.
026.jpg
Don't worry--there are plenty of other ways to spend your money here.
027.jpg
For someone on your "sort of naughty" list.
028.jpg
Nothing says "holiday cheer" more that glasses for booze.
029.jpg
For the person who has everything--a Shamu nutcracker.
030.jpg
Don't forget the oh-so-sexy leopard-trimmed caps.
031.jpg
It's definitely getting colder . . .
032.jpg
. . . and no wonder!
033.jpg
"Die the Death of a 1,000 Antler Pokes, elf scum!"
034.jpg
"Oh, boy, Santa's gotta use the little elves room bad!"
035.jpg
"I will bide my time, then strike in the name of my true master, the Ice Cream Bunny! Hur, hur, hur!" (That joke was for all the Rifftrax fans out there.) More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:06 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!