Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:I'm really looking forward to El Toro, and giving Kingda Ka another go. . . Maybe it will raise a little in my ranking.

If you ride in row 1, it'll go way up in your ranking. If you don't then it's shaky as hell. Wait for the front.

PS: Don't miss Safari Off Road Adventure since that'll also be "new" since your last visit.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
boldikus wrote:Zumanjaro is fantastic, do not skip it.

. . . I'll take your advice. I know it's one of those things that if I don't do it I'll regret not doing it. And once I do it I'll love it... but it's the forcing myself to do it the first time that's the issue. Oh well, I'll force myself on it!! :)

If I can do it you can. I've talked about my drop ride phobia on here before but a short refresher:

I rode Freefall @ Great Adv way back in the day and I think I wiped the experience from my memory. I remember it, but not really. Years later in the early 2000s I rode Moreys Larson tower after I was peer-pressured into it and was scared sh*tless. Keep in mind I was a huge coaster fan but I swore off drop towers for years after Atmosfear.

Right after Zum opened I was @ the park with a non-enthusiast friend and he wouldn't even walk back to the station w/ me, he sat and played on his phone while I went to ride it. After watching them build it throughout the beginning of that season and with all the hype of the fact we were going to have the worlds tallest drop tower I forced myself to ride. I had to. So without my friend I was now actually doing it alone, or rather with a bunch of strangers. And though I was sweating profusely and holding on for dear life, heart racing, etc... I actually thought the experience was pretty effing cool. A few more rides that season and I was hooked.

I think what I hated about drop towers, since I have basically no fear of heights, was the *not knowing when* you are going to drop. Because that's all that really separates drop rides from coasters, right? You drop on both of them, with coasters you know when. But I've accepted that its part of the experience and I look forward to it. I now ride every single drop tower at every park I go to. I even love Morey's tower now!

Just do it. You will regret it if you don't. What's the worst that could happen? You have a sh*tty time, you get off, and you go ride something else? On the other hand you could (and probably will) really enjoy it. Stop at Macho beforehand and chug a beer or three and you won't even have to force yourself!

Also I'll echo Bill on KK front row. Ive only done it once up there cause I'm an impatient sh*thead but it was easily the best lap I've had on it. Also Toro second from back always, Bizarro/Batman front (tho back is acceptable for Biz), Skull back row ONLY, Nitro back far right, etc

Are you taking notes? :lol:

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 pm

^I've actually come to enjoy the back of Batman more over time. The first drop is actually excellent because of the whip it has!
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Dollywood, Cedar Point
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Skyrush
Top 3 Wood Coasters: Voyage, Lightning Rod, El Toro
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Zipper, It
185 coasters

Postby boldikus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Fair enough. I've had some good rides in the back of Batman but I've come to prefer the front.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

I generally prefer the front of inverts unless they have a pretzel / batwing... whatever the hell it's called. Afterburn and Montu are worth riding in the back for that element alone.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I should visit the park on Saturday or Sunday this weekend. Who's going which day? TPR meet-up?
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby MagicAngel94 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 am

Ho much is the bus from New York to Six Flags? I'm an annual passholder

Postby boldikus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:27 am

michaellynn4 wrote:I'm trying to figure out if I should visit the park on Saturday or Sunday this weekend. Who's going which day? TPR meet-up?

Saturday is the move. Forecast calls for morning rain and then overcast all day, meanwhile Sunday looks gorgeous, will likely be more crowded I'm thinking. Thinking any casual visitors thinking of going Saturday will postpone til Sunday? Hopefully. LOL

MagicAngel94 wrote:Ho much is the bus from New York to Six Flags? I'm an annual passholder

Here you go.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:46 am

boldikus wrote:
michaellynn4 wrote:I'm trying to figure out if I should visit the park on Saturday or Sunday this weekend. Who's going which day? TPR meet-up?

Saturday is the move. Forecast calls for morning rain and then overcast all day, meanwhile Sunday looks gorgeous, will likely be more crowded I'm thinking. Thinking any casual visitors thinking of going Saturday will postpone til Sunday? Hopefully. LOL

Was hoping I'd be in on this on Saturday, unfortunately looks like my wife had arranged some other plans for that day. Currently trying to get me and the kiddo back down there on Sunday instead, but getting some pushback on that as well. He needs more Toro laps, and he's been trying to steel himself up for finally getting on Joker.

Somehow my wife thinks laundry is more important than that. :|
That coaster dad [336] and that coaster kiddo [216]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 am

I'll admit that in slightly concerned about the prospect of them starting Toro before it's broken in for the season with 25 mph gusts and temps in the 40's. They'll try of course, and if it were Fright Fest I'd have zero hesitation but that thing loves to valley on opening weekend when the wheels aren't broken in. It's practically tradition. Lol

Regardless though, we'll be there Saturday. Can't wait. Come on Ryan, we're counting on you guys. Lol
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!