TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Out of curiosity, why do some people think that Intamin woodies aren't "real" woodies? The only real answer I've been able to pick up is that they are too smooth for a woodie. With all due respect that's about as stupid as calling a steel coaster a woodie becuase it's too rough for a steel coaster. I mean no disrespect, but is there more to the argument than that? ..or is it simply a matter of preference?

Well El Toro is "the bull" in Spanish and thats a Frontier themed area so it makes sense. I believe the fabrication is different because instead of layered wood with metal on top of it, the pieces are laser carved out of pieces of wood so theres less connection points and it can be bent more and heartlined. So with the layers gone, it vibrates less and feels more in control and the turns are transitioned and banked more so you don't get thrown to left or right as much.

Awesome pics there dude, this all seems eerily similer to this time last year.

OMG is that the track? I knew that these were plug'n'play woodies but I've never actually seen how the construction process goes. I would love to get a tour of the factory that makes the track. Someone is definately wearing the over-engineering pants in Switzerland.

Looking forward to another off season of GAdv pics from across that lake again.

-Deezy

Awesome! I can't wait for the announcement. Record Breaker? That'll be interesting!

It will probably be some crappy record such as "First theme park to build a wooden and steel coaster from the same manufacturer in consecutive years"

The way I see it, this thing will break one of PKI's record's either way, since we hold longest (Beast) and tallest (Son of Bitch) right now. Personnaly, I couldn't care less if they both get broken Also, I may/may not be able to visit SFGA next year. My steel drum band in school is planning our 2nd annual roadtrip, and one of this routes includes a trip to DP and SFGA. I dont know what the other routes offer otherwise, but I'm rooting for that one^^.

Jared"going to SFGA and DP in early June?"Becker

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/sixflags/22808/

SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE WILL DEBUT MONSTROUS WOODEN ROLLER COASTER IN NEWLY-THEMED AREA AND NEW LOONEY TUNES™ KIDS' SECTION IN 2006

JACKSON, N.J., September 28, 2005 - In 2006, thrill seekers at the World's largest regional theme park will challenge El Toro, an enormous, new wooden roller coaster under construction at Six Flags Great Adventure. The thrill ride, which incorporates the most daring features of the world's best wooden roller coasters combined with the smooth speed of a steel coaster, will be the star of a vibrant, newly-themed area of the park, Plaza del Carnaval. Just around the corner, families with young children will explore exciting, pint-sized adventures in the all-new Bugs Bunny™ National Park kids' area, featuring new rides and attractions designed just for them. Both new areas, including monstrous El Toro, are set to open next season.

"Classic design meets state-of-the-art thrills with our spectacular, new wooden roller coaster," said Rick McCurley, the park's vice president and general manager. "As part of our multi-year expansion to a family destination, this massive coaster adventure will anchor a colorful, newly-themed area evoking the lively energy of Spanish-speaking regions of the world."

El Toro's unique design, inspired by the agility and strength of the brave Matadors, features a hybrid design including a classic "out and back" track with four fast-charging drops, multiple highly-banked turns and a beastly "twister" finale. El Toro will also deliver nine "airtime" opportunities, giving riders the highly-sought thrill ride sensation of weightlessness.

At 181 feet tall, reaching 70 mph, El Toro will rank among the tallest and fastest wooden roller coasters in the world. Its 4,400 feet of mountainous track includes records for second tallest, fastest and longest drop of all wooden coasters in America and features the world's steepest drop on a wooden roller coaster, 76 white-knuckled degrees.

El Toro will anchor the colorful and lively Plaza del Carnaval section along a scenic waterway. This newly-themed area will feature La Cocina restaurant offering authentic Mexican fare, plus an open-air, marketplace-style retail shop and a new, themed family ride. Plaza del Carnaval will also include one of the world's rare, classic dual-track wooden roller coasters, Rolling Thunder, introduced in 1979.

Just around the corner, parents and their young children will explore Bugs Bunny National Park, an all-new, wilderness-themed children's area with tons of fun for little ones. Located on Six Flags Great Adventure's picturesque Great Lake, this new kids' area, featuring Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes pals, will join Looney Tunes Seaport and Balin's Jungleland as the park's third section devoted to the youngest thrill seekers. Families will enjoy the great outdoors with new rides, an interactive water play feature, plus a lakeside theater with a high-spirited show for kids and a snack bar with lots of sweet treats.

"Moms and dads told us their kids love the new Balin's Jungleland area this season, and they want more," McCurley said. "We listened, and with nearly 25 rides specially-designed for kids 54 inches and under, dozens of rides for tweens and teens, and the world's ultimate coaster collection, Six Flags Great Adventure will be the perfect way to enjoy playtime together in 2006."

The new Bugs Bunny National Park, and Plaza del Carnaval featuring El Toro, are slated for a spring 2006 opening. Guests can take a virtual ride on El Toro and receive up-to-the-minute news throughout the park's winter construction project on www.sixflags.com.

Here are some stats for you all to chew over:

Record and claims:

Ranks as the second tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the U.S. with the second longest drop. El Toro will be the third tallest and fastest in the world. This coaster breaks the world record for steepest wooden coaster drop at 76 degrees.

Maximum Speed: 70 mph

Lift height: 181 feet

First drop angle: 76 degrees

First drop length: 176 feet

Ride time: 1 minute, 42 seconds

Load/Unload time: 1 minute, 10 seconds

Length of Track: 4,400 feet

No. of trains: 2

Cars per train: 6

Passengers per train: 36

Hill heights:

Second hill: 112 feet

Third hill: 100 feet

Fourth hill: 82 feet

Airtime hills: 7

Airtime S turns: 2

Ride Capacity: 1,500 per hour

Click here to download the video:

http://streams.sixflags.com/video/eltorohs.wmv

woodie3.jpg.47b7c98f8714fc13f7d70b00c2d7d733.jpg

Wow! Could this be the ride of the year for 2006???

woodie2.jpg.824118151f0302f3048d6fafdec7a487.jpg

Start booking your trip to Six Flags Great Adventure!

woodie1.jpg.a34f824efeb9df5aa799a928fab5a421.jpg

Wow! Kind of looks like a cross between Colossos and Balder!

All I can say is WOW!!! The number that has me most excited is the 76 degree angle on the first drop. :shock: Also, the banked turns look sweet. Overall, I am very happy with the stats. I'm glad they didn't go with the 240 feet and 84 mph numbers. With that said, I guess I'll be visiting Great Adventure next spring.

Edit: Taking a closer look at the layout, it reminds me of Superman-ROS(SFNE) a little.

Edited by alpengeist04

Hooray, this is totally what I was hoping it would be and more. Its location looks great right on the lake, and you just can't get much better than a 76 degree drop. The only "voyage" I'm interested in now is the voyage down the PA turnpike to the NJ Turnpike to exit 7A!

As for "saving Astroworld and SFNO" this has NOTHING to do with that. Six Flags wants to sell Astroworld because of all the pressure from neighboring sportscenters and they don't have their own parking lot. The park hasn't gotten a major coaster since 1999 and its pretty landlocked. If the park wants to sell it, that's their choice as its their property. If you want to complain about anyone, complain that Cedar Faire isn't buying it up. They must have money, they bought Patriot for WOF.

Its kinda hard to "save" SFNO when its still underwater and people in New Orleans have homes to rebuild before they decide to ride rollie coasters. Besides, contracts were signed for this new woodie long before SFNO went under and Astroworld went up for sale.

This ride looks great! I think the groung-hugging turns towards the end are going to be insane! That ride looks oh so smooth and fast - I love seeing the train pulled down real quick on that ultra-steep first dro[. I think I may need to get back (plus I can visit the Great Adventure employees wink wink).

I still think Balder is probably better, but that doesn't mean this ride won't rock

It looks nice, I guess, but definetly not as good as The Voyage. It's a bit too straight forward, although the turns at the end look insane, and steep drops are always nice. I prefer really twisted sort of rollercoasters, not "out and backs", or whatever. They bore me.