Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1832 - Behind the scenes El Toro video!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby JerseyGirl81 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:05 pm

MavRider518 wrote:
Parallax wrote:From Screamscape:

Six Flags put out an interesting survey for SFGAdv guests asking them to vote for the best sounding name for an “Africa themed, intense thrill ride”. They were to choose from “Kimanjo, Zumanjaro, Kimondo, Kushuku, or Shango”.    This alone seems to lock in the location that the park’s next major ride will go in somewhere on the new Safari end of the park, no matter if this is the rumored freefall ride or something else entirely. As for the names… while Six Flags failed to explain what any of them meant in the survey, running the names through Google and Google Translate has yielded some interesting and even amusing results.     Kimanjo is the name of a location in Kenya.     Zumanjaro comes up with no results at all and appears to be simply made up, as if they tried to put “Zu” in font of Kilamanjaro. Sorry… as the old Disney ads used to put it, Nahtazu!    Kimondo is another province within Kenya, but also translated from Swahili as the word for a Meteor or Shooting Star in the sky.    Kushuku translates from Swahili as “Skepticism”    And finally, Shango translates from Swahili as “Chlamydia”.  Ummm… yeah… they went there. Sorry… while Six Flags may end up starting a new Meme with that one, I don’t think we’ll be riding Chlamydia: The Ride anytime soon.My vote is for Kimondo… as a shooting star is a perfect theme for a massive freefall tower I think. 

I think that the safari area would be a cool place for a new attraction, but do they really have room? The best thing I can think of for the area is to remove the stadium and put something there. There is room for a decent sized safari themed area that can hold a record breaking drop tower and even a new coaster in the future that can go out away from the park over the water.

I'm sorry, but there is only one thing that comes to mind for me when I think of Shango.
papashango1.jpg

Anyway, I kinda hope these names are for a drop tower. Lex Luther looks pretty cool out in California, but I won't be getting out there anytime soon. A trip to NJ might be easier for me.

Hahaha! Love that you made a Papa Shango reference in here! :-)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:21 am

michaellynn4 wrote:Rolling Tnunder (at least the left side) has reopened to the public. I rode it last night and it rode AWESOME.

I rode it today and is running the best it has in years, but is not AWESOME. You get little pops of air and no jack hammering
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby lazz717 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:31 pm

GigaG wrote:How bad is El Toro for overweight people? I'm overweight (for my short height.) I heard the ride is pretty horrible for overweight people. Just wanted to ask.

As somebody already stated, it really does depends on your actual dimensions.
I use to be close to 300 pounds and somehow I still managed to ride. They needed to help me put the restraint down but I still never had a problem.

If you don't think you are going to fit, just make sure you try out the test seat before you enter the ride. As long as the green light comes on you are good to go...

Postby larrygator » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Normally I just go to the park to ride El Toro. However, today I decided to head to The Safari Off Road Adventure when the park opened to check it out.

Overall I enjoyed the ride. We got very close to a lot of animals today. The tour guide was very entertaining stating fact in between ad-libbed jokes and scripted jokes. One kid on the bus asked why baboons were not part of the tour. Besides the fact that a baboons can gnaw or rip your arm off, the tour guide mentioned that he didn't think guests would like poop thrown at them. However, the ride op did hint that the park plans to incorporate the baboons into the park (not the safari) in 2014. So something may be happening in the area behind Kingda Ka (where the baboons are now housed).
IMG_20130721_105948.jpg
The queue is well shaded, a good thing with the current heat wave.
IMG_20130721_111238.jpg
Here's my vehicle
IMG_20130721_111241.jpg
At times the truck uses the old paved safari road, but also does quite a bit of off-roading making the ride bumpy at times.
IMG_20130721_111251.jpg
We are supposed to be animals but first we encountered deers and then this creature.
IMG_20130721_111510.jpg
This poor guy was scooping up animal poop.
IMG_20130721_111827.jpg
OK, now we're talking. I'm skipping pictures of all the lame animals.
IMG_20130721_111934.jpg
OK, ostriches are lame, but this female was protecting her eggs. Male also watch the eggs, but we know this one is female because she has gray feathers. See I learned something today.
IMG_20130721_112108.jpg
There are two water buffaloes in that water, they will spend practically all day in the water if given the opportunity.
IMG_20130721_112149.jpg
White Rhinos. I already know why they are called "white" and the tour guide didn't share the info so you'll have to look it up on Google.
IMG_20130721_112746.jpg
I used to think zebras were lame, but apparently they don't play well with others.
IMG_20130721_112910.jpg
Hey Wes, the giraffes said hi.
IMG_20130721_113052.jpg
At the halfway point can you disembark or return immediately. If you disembark there are two upcharge options. The Soarin Eagle zipline and the Giraffe Feed.
IMG_20130721_113137.jpg
By the looks of it, not worth it to me.
IMG_20130721_113510.jpg
In theory the giraffes are supposed to walk up to that platform to be fed. Even though the trainer was trying to attract the giraffes I did not see them approach the platform during the 15-20 minutes I was a Camp Aventura.
IMG_20130721_113526.jpg
I think these are the same giant tortoises that used to be near Kingda Ka
IMG_20130721_113312.jpg
There are other animals to see and even some animal parts.
IMG_20130721_114731.jpg
This ostrich wouldn't move so we went further off-road to pass him.
IMG_20130721_114906.jpg
Since lions pretty much sleep all day, I present sleeping lions in a large enclosure.
IMG_20130721_115652.jpg
Brown bears, yeah!
IMG_20130721_120359.jpg
And that tiger in the background is the real Kingda Ka.
IMG_20130721_124730.jpg
Some of the Rolling Thunder trains are wrapped. Only the left side is open and it is running quite well after recent work. I rode in a non-wheel seat, pain free and with mild pops of air.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:56 pm.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BDD27 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Honestly, while I am hoping for a coaster for 2014 I think a drop tower would be perfect. It would be something different than the usual elimination of flat rides. In fact I think they might finally be making a comeback. Drop towers are always park staples.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

larrygator wrote:I rode it today and is running the best it has in years, but is not AWESOME. You get little pops of air and no jack hammering

Hey, to each their own, but to me, for Rolling Thunder that's awesome. It is in no way "Skyrush awesome" or "El Toro awesome", but still really great compared to what the ride devolved into over the last few years. I've got so many great memories of this coaster from when I was a kid, I'm just glad it's in better shape so younger generations will hopefully love it too instead of just viewing it as termite food.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby necoastergp » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 am

I was at the park for the first time in 3 years on Saturday and the Nitro (rode 3x) stacking of 3 trains is horrible. Most times they wouldn't even check the restraints for the loaded train until the 3rd train hit the brake run, ugh. Bizarro was the same way. El Toro (rode 4x) is still by far my favorite woody but I thought the operations were a little slow my first couple rides, unlike my past visits. I rode skyscreamer for the first time (once during the day and once at night) which was my first experience on a star flyer vs a wind seeker which I rode at CP, I enjoyed skyscreamer much more than wind seeker (bounces too much) although you can't beat that view on CP's. Rode GL for the first time (4th stand-up, RR, Mantis and SW @KD) got in a good ride in the 3rd row no head banging but it was still, meh. Rode KK once its amazing how much rougher imo it is than TTD but I still enjoy it and rode Superman, Batman, Congo, Log flume, Sky ride and Skull Mountain each once. Just missed parachute jump for the first time as the winds picked up as we were next in line. I rode the Safari around 6 and enjoyed it much more with the guide and the off roading opposed to the self-guided drive through although we didn't stop at Camp Adventura was closed for the day. All the animals were awake and visible even the Lions, also like Larry mentioned the guide on my tour said they were building a new habitat for the baboon's to be incorporated next year although she made it seem like in the Safari, I guess we'll see soon enough. We had a gold flash pass and started riding about noon and left at 9, the crowds were moderate-heavy with the biggest lines at the Safari and the two water rides based on the flash pass times. I still really enjoy this park and love going back a three year hiatus was long enough after going 7 years in a row.
Coasters: 106 (Steel:90 Wood:16) Parks:19

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazywolf88 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:34 pm

So it seems the triple stacking wasn't a one time thing after all.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BDD27 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:54 pm

So, I thought I would post my first trip report. It is from 2011, but nonetheless it was right when green lantern opened.
1306435670396.jpg
Here is my first gl photo
1312142472569.jpg
It was about an hour wait with a breakdown, but It was my first standup
1312135339279.jpg
I hope this ride stays around for awhile longer
1315680787786.jpg
I have to say Bizzaro is boring to me it has nothing to offer
1315682224107.jpg
Arrow Coasters are becoming rare...Sad its my favorite coaster company
1315682294985.jpg
Required shot
1315684953982.jpg
All I can say is this ride was done right
1315685154009.jpg
Lift shot
1315685598113.jpg
Batman, still great after almost 20 years
1318110793400.jpg
And ill leave you with my favorite shot of the day another gl
That was a great day got on everything, but best of all was el toro during the fireworks. Hope you enjoyed my first photo trip report! :b

Postby larrygator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 pm

crazywolf88 wrote:So it seems the triple stacking wasn't a one time thing after all.

Not when it is mentioned by various people visiting on different days.

necoastergp wrote:also like Larry mentioned the guide on my tour said they were building a new habitat for the baboon's to be incorporated next year although she made it seem like in the Safari, I guess we'll see soon enough.

I'll beleive my tour guide since I think it is easier to incorporate it into the park by building an enclosed area humans could walk through versus building something a truck could drive through. I could be wrong but it sounds like this trouble.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!