Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1832 - Behind the scenes El Toro video!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MNdude » Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 pm

Sweet Trip Report!!! Love the gun sign, they are at most public places since we have a conceal and carry law, looks like the park was deserted! I went the following weekend on Saturday and for being early in the season the park was pretty busy.

Site Admin

El Toro's Lift Hill - SLOWED DOWN?!?!

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:15 pm

So um....when did THIS happen!?!?!?

How does that effect the rest of the ride? I don't believe the video that it says it doesn't effect the ride. It *looks* like it goes about 10MPH slower down the first initial drop. How can that NOT affect the ride?

What a bummer.....

--Robb

Idiot.

Postby Spokker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:18 pm

Have you ever drilled a park official, any park official, into why they do these things? Are there ever practical reasons for it where it is needed for rider comfort or safety or do they just want to cheap out on maintenance?

The slowed down lift hills at Magic Mountain have always been a sticking point with me, but I could never find out why it is done and if they were designed that way.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:19 pm

^ Agreed! It bothers me so much on Goliath and Colossus. *sigh*

Idiot.

Postby Spokker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 pm

Well the YouTube page says it was having some "problems". Hopefully it's a quick fix rather than a permanent solution and they'll get around to finding a proper fix in the future.

By the way, I might have a bad memory, but did Viper used to slow down at the top of the lift? I was quite surprised on my recent trip that it didn't let up at the top but I can't figure out whether I'm remembering the right coaster or not.

The first, the last, and forevermore

Postby V2-dude » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 pm

They slowed the cable down so it doesn't tear any feet off.
Why is it that every impulse I ride valleys?

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Location: Coney Island by Day. Staten Island by Night. Tokyo in my Sleep!

Postby CycloneMan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:35 pm

HAHA :lolr: ! Well, I just came over here to post this, but yea. I took this video, and yea I rode it a few times with the lift like this, and no it doesn't effect the ride! The only difference is that you no longer get the pop of air over the top of the lift, and you know longer get thrown into the first drop. The inching around does build the suspence.

The reason they slowed it down is due to flexing on the lift, and it was going way too fast through the circut (mostly train B, Hector). It was making the train actually rock and make weird noises and was doing some strange stuff. As enthusiests, we loved it. The ride was the most exteme ever, but with them slowing down the lift, it's back to normal Toro! So it's nothing to be too worked up about!

-Dainan "So...yeah, :airtimer: " Rafferty

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:36 pm

They can alter the wheels and get a totally different ride. I actually had someone tell me they were reported too that while the first half is slightly slower, it carries more speed - which would make sense if the wheels were changed out.

However, you cant increase speed too much or the RT hill will get out of control.

At least theres no trim on it...yet.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Location: Coney Island by Day. Staten Island by Night. Tokyo in my Sleep!

Postby CycloneMan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 pm

We've been taking bets to see when it'll get trimed or ever reprofiled! The twister section, and the bottom of the first drop and turn around is where the problems and reports were coming from.

(We meening the GA Fanboys)

-Dainan " ;) " Rafferty

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:46 pm

CycloneMan wrote:The only difference is that you no longer get the pop of air over the top of the lift, and you know longer get thrown into the first drop.

The ride was the most exteme ever, but with them slowing down the lift, it's back to normal Toro! So it's nothing to be too worked up about!

I'd have to ride it again to judge for myself, but with what you've described, I don't think I'd rank Toro quite as high as I did before.

I just don't believe that with loss of speed going over the first hill it doesn't affect the rest of the ride.

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!