Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1832 - Behind the scenes El Toro video!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 24 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: The Six Flags Great Adventure (GADV) Discussion Thread

Postby Ccron10 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:17 pm

haiderodes wrote:
thrillrider wrote:As I read this, ESPN is at the park doing a pba bowling event right on the midway. It's on espn right now, and again tomorrow at 2:30.

I believe this was pre-recorded. They were at the park last month just before my visit. They did the same thing a few years ago at SFStL, but they did in the parking lot.

I was there for that and was on TV for yesterday's episodes and the last one for last sunday (which I was sitting behind Bugs Bunny for that one). I was wearing a brown Hydra shirt. GASM had a 30 to 45 minute wait that day. The British Coaster Club was there that day as well.

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:44 am

Six Flags Great Adventure's Facebook just confirmed that Great American Scream Machine will close on July 18th :(
•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great
Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re
celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive
ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!

They're doing a contest for "Show us your scream face" and the winners will get ERT on GASM's last day.

And their status
Hey guys, Scream Machine will close July 18 to make room for a major new attraction in 2011. We'll offer double rides on GASM July 11 & 18. We'll host an ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) event on July 18, 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m. to invited guests; to be invited, see this contest>>http://ow.ly/27be9 [see more below]

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:05 am

Guess this means I need to set aside some toll money and get up there on the 18th. I'm not a big fan of this ride, but I ride it every time I go and it'll certainly be sad to see it come down for what I assume is forever.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby RollingRunner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 am

What a bummer. :(

But I am glad the park is acknowledging the ride and giving it some positive attention. Obviously, not many people really like this ride, but i'm a bit disappointed with this decision to remove it. Though I do have doubts that Chang is going to replace GASM, since SF might not even own the ride anymore.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:15 am

Sigh......
261 steel coasters
100 wood coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 am

Interesting news! It sounds like GAdv is really trying to make GASM's last days meaningful to fans.
As pointless as it may be, I'm always sorry to hear of the loss of any coaster. But this is one I can deal with not riding. I've already ridden and enjoyed its equivalent, Viper, and I'm satisfied by that. :)
Last edited by cal1br3tto on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby CoasterPrince » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 am

Although I'm sad to see such a notorious coaster go that offers a lot for the Gadv skyline, I'm excited that a new riding position is being added to an already amazing collection. Standing, Flying, Inverted, Sitting, and Floorless can all be done at Gadv.....assuming we are getting Chang. ;)

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:33 am

Last year in July, I stood in line for this ride for about 35 minutes, and then it broke down. I waited about 10 more minutes before the ride operators said everyone needs to exit the line (Even gave us exit passes...)

Sucks I didn't get to ride... :?r

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:50 am

Add GASM to the Steve Kiss of Death list. So far I have visited Geauga Lake, Kentucky Kingdom, and ridden Laser (Dorney), Texas Giant, and GASM the last year of their operation before it was announced that they would be closed/changed.

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:58 am

Well it looks like I know what park I'm going to on the 18th. Hopefully it won't be as crowded as it was in the 1st & at least the park is letting everyone know 2 weeks ahead of it closing when the exact date is. I'm kind of bummed that this is leaving though, all of my first coasters are gone: the old Jack Rabbit at Clementon was my first coaster ever & that is gone, Laser at Dorney was my first coaster with an inversion & that is gone, now GASM at GADV is leaving & that was my first coaster that I ever rode at GADV :(
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!