Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1815 - Holiday in the Park Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

Jason Maier wrote:How were the crowds?

Solid! While the place cleared out ridiculously fast at the end of the night, for most of the day the park was pretty busy considering the winds and the fact that it was a Sunday and not a Saturday. As is generally the case during Holiday in the Park, coaster lines were pretty short but rides like Skyway and Justice league topped out around 30 minutes, food stands were busy and the midways were pretty packed from an hour or so before sundown to about 7:30.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:27 am

Okay... the banana peeling description got me :lol: :lol:

Nice TR! Wish I could make it out there this time of year.
2017 Ride Host - Millennium Force

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 am

Awesome update, Bill! Love that shot of the sunset behind Nitro you got from the Skyway. :nina:
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Classic Six Flags. At least he knew to use a knife instead of a hammer! :-P

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Glad you enjoyed the event!! That Jersey woman sounded god awful :lmao:

coasterbill wrote:All of the B&Ms were running one train due to wind so they wouldn't have to send empties at the end of the night but Nitro, Batman and (maybe) Superman have multiple trains available for the event. I have no idea if Green Lantern does because we didn't ride it because it's terrible.

To clarify this, two trains are ran on Nitro, Skull Mountain, and kinda sorta Batman for HITP. All the other rides run 1 train while the other train undergoes rehab (besides Joker and Dark Knight cause they have hella cars.) Nitro gets away with running two since it has 3 trains to begin with and the park actually owns a 3rd train for Skull Mountain so one train is always in rehab for that ride, like how Magic Mountain does things. As for Batman, last year its maintenance cycle was thrown off because of Namtab. The trains ran for Namtab were the trains from Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags Over Georgia ran GADV's trains on their Batman forwards. Usually the backwards chassis is passed around and each park has to place their own seats and restraints on it but each park wanted to run Namtab for as long as possible. Idk what happened when the forward trains returned but it wasn't necessary to pull one train off for rehab last season.
Visual scan.... All Clear.. ALL CLEAR MEANS YOU GUYS ARE OUT OF HERE! ENJOY YOUR RIDE ON EL TORO! OLE!!

#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab)

Toro Riders:
2016: 1,258,387
2017: 1,301,841

Credit Count: 279

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

To add a little more to my trip yesterday.

I also tried the waffle and had a slightly netter experience than Bill. When I got to the register the waffle was prepared and took practically the same amount of time as it did from Waffle de Lys last year and the same amount of time as Waffle de Lys and Kennywood this summer. The only issue I encountered was confusion over the price of a topping. The sign I posted earlier says it is $3 extra for a signature creation and $1 for either nutella, hot fudge, sugar, other options. The cashier seems to be confused about the different costs of upcharges, but ultimately only charged $1. To me it appeared they used the same batter that is used in the funnel cakes with extra sugar added, but my major issue for me was the texture of the waffle, which was not crispy enough. However, I did really enjoy using the meal plan to option a good snack for $1.

Waffle de Lys was never meant to be a permanent vendor at the park. They were brought in the first year with other vendors, to due lack of staff in the food area for the first year of the event. Last year it was a last minute decision to bring them back to the event.

Spirit of the Season is a good time filler providing a place to sit down with your hot chocolate and get off your feet. It is a singing and dancing revue featuring 8 performers and a variety of holiday songs. I did not see the next Kelly Clarkson or Teri Garr in the cast but they gave a solid effort.

There seemed to be much more holiday merchandise around the park for sale this year.

As Bill mentioned, the addition of season long hot chocolate special souvenir cup is a great value if you plan a few visits.

I inquired about the success of Justice League and there if were concerns that it was at the end of a dead end path. Over the course of the season some newer guests had expressed surprise that a ride was after Batman. But the park was very happy about the lack of downtime for the ride and the benefit of having another indoor attraction during HITP. One last thing, although it was not stated outright it was implied that with the addition of Cyborg Cyber Spin, the park will continue with future rides along the old Old Country path leading to a potential re-opening of the path. Maybe not next year, but that's where I see this going.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby boldikus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Interesting. If that IAAPA leak about the potential Skywarp purchase is true, I could definitely see it going next to the Cyber Spin across from JLBFM.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 pm

^^Thanks guys! And thanks for the clarification Ryan!

Also, speaking of Ryan this is REALLY random but I'm about to quote a ridiculously old post of yours and back you up on a 3 year old argument that nobody remembers or gives a sh*t about. I noticed something pretty cool last night and just got around to Googling it to see if I was crazy. Google led me back to this thread and one of your old posts...

KBrylczyk wrote:
El Toro_Ryan wrote:I've heard look to the right of Nitro's second hill and you can kind of see the Philadelphia skyline.

Philadelphia is 80 miles away from Six Flags. No, you can't. Not even on the clearest day.

Yes, yes you can. I couldn't believe it either (though as the crow flies, it's much closer than 80 miles).

Obviously I've ridden Nitro a ton. I'm not dorky enough to keep track, but I'd bet good money that I've ridden Nitro far more than any other coaster. I've always loved the view from the lift, but last night it was even better than normal. Since it was winter and it was f*cking freezing, visibility was amazing last night and we got an insane view of the Philadelphia skyline from Nitro's lift hill (like you could pick out individual buildings). That was a first, but it was really cool. I've heard that you can see the Philadelphia and New York skyline from Kingda Ka (though I've never been able to) but I had no idea this was even a thing from Nitro's lift hill. That was definitively pretty awesome...

Anyway, carry on. :lol:

Postby boldikus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:57 pm

You're sure you weren't looking at Trenton? :lol:

(And no Philly is not 80 miles from Jackson, its 50 miles).

Postby coasterbill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm

boldikus wrote:You're sure you weren't looking at Trenton? :lol:

:lol: That was my first thought, but yeah. I assumed it was Trenton until we crested the lift and saw Trenton. You could clearly make out the buildings, mainly that weird triangle thing (which is apparently called "One Liberty Place" and not "that weird triangle thing", the more you know...).
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:03 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!