Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT, BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby PSiRockin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

I know it's far off (not too far off though), but I can't wait for a POV!

EDIT: \/ :p
Last edited by PSiRockin on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:48 pm.
PsiRockin'
Earthbound - SNES

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:46 pm

^^ Yea, but have you been to BGT? Slowest ride ops that I've ever seen. :?r

^ Here you go. ;)

TPR Trip: InimidaTOUR
TPR Bash: East Coast Bash (2010), Busch Gardens Bash

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby aimster » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:10 pm

jjune4991 wrote:^^ Yea, but have you been to BGT? Slowest ride ops that I've ever seen. :?r

Heh. Yeah no kidding. It takes them FOREVER to get Gwazi loaded and on its way. They're a little better at the other coasters (they were quite good on Kumba when I was there last weekend), but Gwazi is definitely the worst.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby paiging_jen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 pm

^Gwazi is so slow because the still check the seat belts and lap bars separately. Sheikra is a nightmare because the ops seem to just not care. I really wish operations in Tampa were even remotely similar to the operations I experienced last summer in Williamsburg.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:12 pm

^From what was said before, I believe they will be able to load 2 trains at a time. I'll bet they will be running with 4 trains and have the other train always in maintenance, like with all their other coasters having the extra train for that purpose.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 pm

And I missed this track completion by one week? I must say, the theming they were working on the day I was there looked great and it should be great when the ride is done.

I too hope the ride ops are moving quickly by the time the ride opens, there is no excuse for the slowness I encountered when I rode Gwazi. Lion was the only side running, and because one ride op was moving slower than any ride op I've ever seen move before, the guy checking seatbelts on the other side had to go just as slow. I thought about complaining - once the ride was over you had to wait about 2 minutes or more for the next train to be dispatched and then to get back in the station. 5-6 minutes per train even with the double seatbelts was awful, and I think these ride ops didn't care much about the guest. I waited about 20 minutes for what should have been a 5 minute wait. Sheikra was a little slow when I went, and the rest of the rides were fine...seriously though, come on BGT.

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:58 pm

coast4airtime wrote:^Five trains with four cars has a higher capacity than six trains with three cars. If the operating crew stays on track and loads and unloads the trains quickly, the PPH should be very high.

That depends on block configuration. In this case, CH's theoretical is higher than Maverick's anyway, but it still all depends on blocks. In Maverick's case, 6 trains is too many. Dragster is the same way, that's why 5 train operation is actually more efficient.

From my experience, actual capacity is always much lower than theoretical, simply because of stupid guests, single riders, small/odd numbered parties, and unforeseen circumstances. If CH has a theoretical of 1350, I'd guess around 950-1000 pph actual capacity. Magnum has a theoretical of 2000 riders! Actual capacity hovers around 1200 or 1300. I would not assume CH to have a high capacity, just not a terrible capacity either.
~Signature~

Maveshark Team Leader and awesome dude!

Postby coasterkyle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:07 pm

^ 6 train op on Maverick is the most efficient with the way the computer is set up, with 5 trains the train that loads in the back of the station doesn't park till after the first train is almost unloaded and reloaded. after working it for a summer we saw what was best for the ride and anything less then 6 there was a lot of standing around.
Credits - 144 Favorites 1.Skyrush 2.Maverick 3. Phoenix

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby HappyEisentrout » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Intamin has gotten better with figuring out how many trains to use. TTD runs better with 6 trains on paper, but in reality, it runs best with an odd number of trains. 3 trains runs better than 4 trains. It's all because the trains were designed to move in pairs, Multi Move and in dry mode. It has never fully done the paired moving and just recently they started using Dry Mode, which requires a special key which is locked up in a case, serious stuff. It wasn't until 2007 that they even started using Dry Mode.

Maverick has a weird proxy switch thing in 5 trains where trains need to fully park in waiting rear before advancing to waiting front, which makes the wait even longer. Sometimes you wouldn't get advance lights until this train was also parked. On occasion in 5 train operation, every 4th?? cycle, the train parking in Station Rear would park too far back and the contacts wouldn't touch on the harness release and we would need to manually release them. Another reason why 5 train is worse on Maverick.

Sure, on Maverick, the extra trains do sit in the brake run for a bit of time but due to programming, this is necessary.
2003-2004 - Michigan's Adventure (Games, Shivering Timbers ATL, Wolverine Wildcat, Timber Town Railway)
2005-2009, 2011, 2012 - Cedar Point (Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster, Thunder Canyon TL, Maverick TL, CP&LE Engine House)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby HappyEisentrout » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:47 pm

The program is made by Intamin so it's their call on that one. The programmers come to the park and do some adjustments here and there but its costly for them to do so, so nothing to major.

Dragster did get a "Super Power Button" for quicker testing in the morning. What used to take a few launches to get an empty train over, can now be done in one launch. Also needs a different key locked in a different cabinet.
2003-2004 - Michigan's Adventure (Games, Shivering Timbers ATL, Wolverine Wildcat, Timber Town Railway)
2005-2009, 2011, 2012 - Cedar Point (Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster, Thunder Canyon TL, Maverick TL, CP&LE Engine House)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!