Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT, BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby CCI » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 pm

^ Can't agree more I Had a walk on on Gwazi but it took 15 minutes to dispatch the train plus we sat on the brakes for another 15.
Last Coaster: Sheikra
Next coaster: Montu

Counselor Neil

Postby televisedconfession » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 am

Honestly, I think the fact that they're far enough away from top rate theme parks, and they have the only decent line up of coasters in the state plus their second rate management all equate to the fact that they really are able to be lazy with their operations. They really don't need it. Think about it, It's about $20 cheaper to go to Busch than their top two competitors up the interstate, and the city of Tampa vs. Orlando are two totally different worlds. It's not like they really have to be top notch. Though, I think if they did clean their act up, even 50%, they'd really give the big boys a run for their money. They need to stop employing the USF folk, and start improving their intern program like BGW does, and really get some good and qualified people in the mix. They have such a fantastic park that is unique, they just seem to let it slide as it's really not necessary for them. Now Sea World on the other hand, I they have no excuse.
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:29 am

Anyone know what the anticipated opening date of Cheetaka Hunt Chase is? i know spring but has Busch Gardens set an estimated grand opening date or anything? I'm going to the park tomorrow for New Year eve (during the day) and am very excited to see how this thing is coming together.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:47 am

^ I think it has been said in this thread a coouple of times that they are pushing for Memorial Day weekend but no one is for sure yet.

Meep Meep!

Postby Lenaapple1974 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:45 pm

robbalvey wrote:
This is a massive, multi-million dollar theme park attraction they are building, it's not like they are working at Taco Bell. I've worked on plenty of projects where, if we are behind schedule, you put in time on the 24th, you have Christmas day off, and you're back at it again on the 26th. When someone is paying you tens of millions of dollars for something, and there are expectations of having it open by a certain date, you make some sacrifices.

--Robb

Funny you should mention Taco Bell Robb, because I used to manage one here in NY as my first job ever. :D The only two days we closed here were for Christmas, and Thanksgiving. Every other stinking holiday, we were open!! I didn't care back then though...It was before the family stuff.

I love the way this looks! The theming is pretty cool. I am just hoping my chicken son, who is 15 and is an even bigger chicken than I was before my first real upside down coaster - will try this one. He does not like drops - so I am hoping that "drop" doesn't look too intimidating to him. This may be my one shot to get him on something!

Oh, Griffon totally had excellent operations when I was there this year. As a matter of fact, each team moved the trains out very quickly. SFGAdv also had excellent dispatches and great teams this year - except for Rolling Thunder. I truly hope I do not have to experience any of that. Wishful thinking I suppose. (That Montu tour sounds like a grrreat idea!)

Thank you everyone for all the updates!!!!!
Coaster Count - OMG...I completely lost count... How do you all do it?
Man, I really need to update my Photo TR from last year!! >:O
2012 - SoCal and everything I can cram into the week!
2013 - Back to Orlando!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby TXman308 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:09 am

I don't think Cedar Point's employees are as bad as six flags. At least the ride ops at Cedar Point don't take an hour to dispatch each train.

On the other side of the camera

Postby WillMontu » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Today I had the opportunity to go down to BGT with family and ride some rides as well as get some pictures of Cheetah Hunt. The park was actually quite crowded, with parking in the Adventure Island lot (with trams picking up and dropping off over there). Since I was not up to lugging around the DSLR, I did not get any close-up shots. Sorry.

Gwazi operations were poor and there was a bit of jackhammering, but that is quite normal. This ride really needs help. For example, unlike most woodies, the crew waits for exiting riders to completely clear the platform before they allow other riders to board, and the individual seat-belts need to go. They were dueling the trains, but that won't fix the ride.
Montu and Kumba were running three trains, with some minor stacking, with about 15 minute wait for each.

In addition to the track on site, there was a piece of track sitting alongside a parking lot tram in a empty lot just north of Adventure Island
IMG_0374.JPG
The park is having New Years fireworks, but we did not stick around for them
IMG_0385.JPG
Gwazi was actually dueling
IMG_0384.JPG
Oh look! They're going to put new trains on Gwazi. Might not be the best for capacity though
IMG_0371.JPG
Plenty of track is up, but there is a long way to go
IMG_0375.JPG
Through the trees...
IMG_0379.JPG
Dirt! Yay!
IMG_0393.JPG
A section of track over by the Skyride turnaround, as seen from the train. This thing is going to be long
IMG_0394.JPG
More of the same track
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
More dirt! Yay!
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
Brake and transfer track on the backside of the Skyride/Monorail building
IMG_0400.JPG
More of the front section
IMG_0401.JPG
Track going over the old Clydesdale stable
IMG_0405.JPG
It looks like the old monorail station is going to be the station
IMG_0404.JPG
I'm guessing that this is the initial launch
IMG_0407.JPG
Rollback brakes being installed.

My Dumps Smell Like Cantaloupe

Postby The SETGO Guys » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Removed by user
Last edited by The SETGO Guys on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 am.

Maveshark Team Leader and awesome dude!

Postby coasterkyle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:33 pm

In your last pic. those are LSMs. They not only help slow a train down if it doesn't make it through the first element, but more importantly they are what launch the train (same as Maverick & iSpeed)
Credits - 144 Favorites 1.Skyrush 2.Maverick 3. Phoenix

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 pm

^Yep. The only place this coaster should have brakes is at the very end.
~Signature~

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!