Legoland Florida Discussion Thread

P. 76: Legoland Reopening June 1!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Legoland Florida Discussion Thread

Postby RoCo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:49 pm

This looks really beautifully put together. Will find a way to get out there next time I'm in O-town.

I hadn't realized just exactly what those "Wave Runner" type rides were all about, and now I'm MUCH more interested.
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Legoland Florida has sent us photos and video of the Legoland Water Park as it reaches its latest milestone, getting one of its most important elements--WATER!

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

2012.03.29_LEGOLAND_WATERPARKUPDATE_006.JPG
2012.03.29_LEGOLAND_WATERPARKUPDATE_013.JPG
2012.03.29_LEGOLAND_WATERPARKUPDATE_015.JPG
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Cyrbuzz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Sorry about the misunderstanding regarding the other parks on the map. My knowledge of Merlins operations is still limited. :oops:

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Legoland Florida has sent us an updated regarding the Legoland Water Park opening this month!

Training for the “most important job in the park” began today as newly minted lifeguards took to the wave pool at LEGOLAND® Florida’s soon-to-open water park attraction.

Trainees practiced deep-water rescues, swimming drills and compact jumps from atop a lifeguard stand. All training was certified by the American Red Cross.

There was also time for a little horseplay, with trainees performing a synchronized “wave” in the pool and taking a spin on a LEGO® Build-A-Raft.
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_007.JPG
Training for the "most important job in the park" began Tuesday as newly minted lifeguards took to the wave pool at LEGOLAND® Florida. The new Water Park at LEGOLAND® Florida opens May 26th featuring the LEGO Wave Pool, Build-A-Raft River, Twin Chasers, Splash, Joker Soaker, and DUPLO Splash Safari.
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_005.JPG
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_003.JPG
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_017.JPG
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_015.JPG
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_022.JPG
2012.05.01_LEGOLANDWATERPARK_012.JPG
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue May 08, 2012 1:24 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Those inner-tubes are awesome! This water park seriously looks like a great addition to Legoland and will probably be my excuse to finally take a trip there.

TPR's Hairstylist to the Stars!

Postby piers » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Florida lifeguards wear a lot of makeup.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:54 am

Wow this park looks really amazing! Lego's were my thing as a kid. Hopefully one day I'll be able to check it out and even try those Waffle Spears....hmmmm :br

North East Trip 2011

LeviaTHON 2012

Scandi 2014

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Legoland Florida has sent us a press release regarding their development of a "Roller Coaster Readiness" program.

The 2012 summer travel season is here and theme parks from coast to coast are rolling out all-new, ever-daring thrill rides.

For parents hoping that this is the year their child musters the courage to take that first roller coaster adventure, it's a tough call: do they encourage, bribe or shame their kids into facing their fears? Or let them decide for themselves?

This summer, LEGOLAND® Florida, Central Florida’s newest theme park, is helping families deal with Veloxrotaphobia, or fear of roller coasters, by arming parents with “Roller Coaster Readiness” tips.

Leadership at the park reached out to nationally-recognized psychologist and award-winning author Dr. Susan Bartell to create tools for both guests and employees to help parents manage these challenging situations.

“Our junior roller coasters offer just the right blend of speed and thrill that make LEGOLAND Florida the perfect spot for kids to ride their very first roller coaster,” says Adrian Jones, LEGOLAND Florida general manager. “But because we know the ‘pink knuckle’ nature of these attractions doesn’t mitigate a first timer’s fears, we wanted to provide resources to parents as well as our model citizens to ensure that every first plunge is a positive experience for the entire family.”

According to Bartell, there are a host of mistakes parents commonly make when it comes to handling their child’s fear of roller coasters.

“Dismissing a child’s fear, comparing them to a sibling or friend, bribing them with gifts and money, or labeling a child with a negative name based on their reluctance won’t make them any braver,” says Bartell. “In fact those strategies often cause greater anxiety, and resentment and make them more reluctant, not to mention ruin what should be a great day for the family.”

Brochures featuring the tips will be available online and at the front gate and include things families can do before they leave home and during the day, as well as ways to manage a melt-down and ways to celebrate at the end of the day.

Before Your Trip

Bartell suggests starting at home with these tips before leaving on the trip.
  • Learn Online – Young children (especially those who are anxious), don’t like surprises. So, visit the LEGOLAND Florida website with your child and look at the different attractions, discussing how much fun each one will be.
  • Tell a Story – Talk to your child about fun roller-coaster experiences that you and other people had when they were kids. Be as animated, silly and positive as possible.
What to do When You Get to the Park
  • Focus on Fun – As you arrive, review the park map and point out all the fun attractions, not just the roller coasters.
  • Take it Slow – Invite your child to pick which attractions she most wants to experience. If she is reluctant to try the roller coasters, begin with at least a couple of her choices.
As the Day Continues…
  • Watch and Learn – When some people in your party are eager to try a roller coaster, don’t split up. Rather, watch the roller coaster ride with your reluctant child, all the time commenting excitedly about how much fun it looks and how happy and excited kids are as they come off the ride. Point out that kids coming off the ride do not look scared and are not crying.
  • Nervous is Normal – Explain that while riding a roller coaster, it is normal to feel a little nervous, scream, close your eyes, and squeeze someone’s hand – in fact, it is part of the fun. Explain that feeling a bit nervous doesn’t mean you are too scared to go on the roller coaster.
At the End of the Day…
  • No Regrets – If your child expresses regret that he didn’t try the roller coaster, don’t make him feel bad. Now that the day is over, it’s easy for him to ‘be brave.’ Instead, remind him there is always a next time, and that he should focus on the rides he enjoyed and the fun that was had by all.
LEGOLAND Florida Technic Coaster.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm.

Delicious & Refreshing

Legoland Florida Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Twice this weekend Theme Park Review was invited to participate in special occasions at Legoland Florida, both surrounding the new Legoland Water Park!

The first event (Thursday) served not only as the media preview, but as the first annual pass holder preview for the park, with a special twist. To help launch the "resort's" newest aspect, the park decided to challenge the existing Guinness World Record of the number of beach balls thrown in the air at the same time (with the previous record being 401 balls). It wasn't hard to beat the record, considering the park had 1,355 guests volunteer to throw their complementary beach balls up for the cause. It was definitely an awesome sight to be seen from an elevated platform (like the one I got to stand on), with the sea of beach balls waving like the water in the wave pool where many of the guests waded during the record breaking process. After breaking the record, the water park was left open for us to explore! I'll come back to a rundown of the park after describing Day 2...

The second event (Saturday) was the Legoland Water Park's grand opening, kicked off by General Manager of Legoland Florida, Adrian Jones. Staged in front of the Joker Soaker water fortress attraction, Adrian and Tim Oldenburg, one of the Water Park Representatives cut the ribbon (using a Lego scissor) to mark the opening... And with that, Joker Soaker's giant water bucket tipped to soak the two park leaders in their business attire! Quite an awesome moment to be seen!

Now on to the dissecting the water park itself! Located in the back corner of the park neighboring Flight School most closely (as well as a section of the Cypress Gardens botanical gardens), the Legoland Water Park occupies the same space as the former Splash Island Water Park which was an offering at the Cypress Gardens Adventure Park. Utilizing almost all of the existing water park infrastructure, Legoland Florida absorbed the property and modified it to serve as its newest, and largest-to-date water park in the chain. Comprised of three body slides, two tube slides, a wave pool, a large water fortress (complete with tipping bucket), a lazy river featuring the popular "build-a-raft" concept launched at the California sister park, a dining venue and gift shop, all of these former Splash Island staples have been Lego-ized to blend in with the rest of Legoland Florida. Also added to the water park is the DUPLO wading pool and several Lego water play stations fit for the younger guests visiting.

As with the other Lego Water Park(s), floatation vests are offered for guests free of charge and fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are available for a small fee. Admission to the Legoland Water Park requires valid park admission to Legoland Florida, as well as a $12 up charge fee to enter (although children age 3 and younger get in free). The water park also rents private cabanas (which we were able to test out), which is a nice plus!

The new Legoland Water Park is an excellent value and a fantastic new offering for prospective and return guests of Legoland Florida. For such a small fee, you get an awesome family-friendly experience without ever having to leave the main park. Guests of the Water Park can also leave the water park to enjoy the main park and return as they please throughout the day by getting their hand stamped. While there, I observed (what not surprisingly I had come to expect) enthusiastic team members and employees working in the water park whose focus on safety and promoting a memorable experience was clearly at the top of their priorities. Managed by a fantastic team of enthusiastic and dedicated leaders, Legoland Florida continues to amaze me with their impressive care of every aspect of their guest experience and continuing to keep their product up to date. General Manager Adrian Jones continued to express his (infectious) enthusiasm for the park and its future, making it clear that we should expect something new for the park EVERY year. With the Legoland Hotel to confirmed to be on the way (building off of the success of the Windsor property) and plenty of additional park space left for expansion (I've got a great set of photos I took from the Island in the Sky that I'll post soon that show this off), I'd say the future is bright for Legoland Florida!

And to think, two years ago many people were skeptical of how even Legoland could turn the floundering Cypress Gardens into a successful tourism staple... Look at how the park not only continues to exceed attendance and profit expectations, but has already added a new water park, several new attractions, shops and restaurants in less than seven months from its opening date. They're clearly doing something right, and it can definitely be seen by visiting the park for yourself, so get out there!
DSC02370.JPG
Guess where we are today!
DSC02591.JPG
Time to approach the new Legoland Water Park! Notice the lazy river flows underneath the entrance bridge!
DSC02594.JPG
One more thing Legoland does really well: color schemes!
DSC02593.JPG
In case you already forgot what this report is about...
DSC02372.JPG
Some of the "build-a-rafts" were out and about in the lazy river before the park opened for the preview day.
DSC02376.JPG
For those of you that have been to the park, this should help to give you an idea of the location of the Legoland Water Park.
DSC02380.JPG
As a part of the Guinness World Record attempt, we were all given beach balls!
DSC02382.JPG
If you visited Splash Island at Cypress Gardens previously you'll be sure to recognize the park, but you'll also notice the amount of Lego theming that has been added in the conversion process.
DSC02383.JPG
Standard water park rules presented in a respectful manner.
DSC02391.JPG
With 1,355 volunteers present, the record wasn't hard to beat!
DSC02394.JPG
I mean, there were really a ton of people here!
DSC02400.JPG
A cherry picker was brought in to capture video of the record attempt from above.
DSC02405.JPG
Not shortage of Lego touches here!
DSC02407.JPG
The buildup before the record attempt including a dance along.
DSC02409.JPG
It was truly quite a feat to see!
DSC02413.JPG
It's Lifeguard Buddy!
DSC02415.JPG
They even had beach babes!
DSC02416.JPG
I couldn't resist!
DSC02419.JPG
Twin Chasers was the popular complex of the day...
DSC02423.JPG
Dispatching at the same time, the two slides have guests finishing at the exact same time, as if they were racing.
DSC02430.JPG
Looks nice!
DSC02431.JPG
A guest enjoys one of the Twins!
DSC02432.JPG
One of the two Twin Chasers is fully enclosed while the other is an open air slide.
DSC02421.JPG
Splash Out is the body slide complex for the park--definitely the biggest thrill for the older guests in the park.
DSC02424.JPG
And it is quite photogenic!
DSC02425.JPG
Down you go!
DSC02426.JPG
I see a smile!
DSC02427.JPG
The slide has a neat little "pre-drop" unlike most major body slides I've seen.
DSC02428.JPG
The longer line for Twin Chasers versus the bigger slides of Splash Out seems to evidence the park's audience tastes.
DSC02434.JPG
While walking back towards Joker Soaker, two random beach balls chased each other down the path without wind or anything propelling them (I'm seriously not kidding).
DSC02435.JPG
They seriously just kept rolling on without a driving force behind them... Kind of reminds me of the Horror B-Movie "Tire."
DSC02436.JPG
"An odd tan you have sir!"
DSC02438.JPG
The Legoland Water Park has benches made entirely out of milk jugs. Yay for Green Initiatives!
DSC02441.JPG
Twin Chasers sign love for Larry...
DSC02444.JPG
The water park has the same style directional signage as the main park.
DSC02445.JPG
Joker Soaker is the park's water fortress attraction...
DSC02446.JPG
And it has several small slides stemming from its top.
DSC02447.JPG
These slides were also popular with the younger guests.
DSC02448.JPG
Even more slides!
DSC02449.JPG
Guests can spray or drop water on guests below!
DSC02450.JPG
See?
DSC02454.JPG
The Joker Soaker slides are fun for all ages!
DSC02455.JPG
And there's no doubt, this water fortress has character!
DSC02456.JPG
The Joker Soaker's tipping water bucket is pretty awesome.
DSC02466.JPG
And it certainly gets the job done!
DSC02467.JPG
Hence the attraction name...
DSC02471.JPG
My mind jumped to Space Invaders when I saw her shirt.
DSC02477.JPG
There are some water play stations set up throughout the park which provide entertainment to younger guests and their families.
DSC02479.JPG
There's also no shortage of Lego bricks to be put into the active circulation of the lazy river.
DSC02481.JPG
I did see some small Lego buildings on rafts, but nothing too stunning yet.
DSC02483.JPG
I want this fountain!
DSC02486.JPG
Lifeguards on Stilts!
Coming to SyFy in 2013

Lifeguards on Stilts meets Sharktopus
Coming to SyFy in 2014
DSC02487.JPG
The DUPLO wading pool was a new addition to the Legoland Water Park, being one of the few things not previously existent (in any form) in the former Splash Island water park.
DSC02490.JPG
DUPLO animals act as controllable fountains for the younger guests to play with.
DSC02491.JPG
Must've just chomped on a water balloon.
DSC02492.JPG
Don't quite get this one... Needs a cool and refreshing Coca-Cola to give it more contextual sense.

Do you agree?
DSC02597.JPG
The Surf Shop features Lego merchandise as well as swim gear for sale.
DSC02598.JPG
The Beach n Brick Grill is the park's main food and beverage option.
DSC02506.JPG
Seriously folks, the Legoland Water Park is pretty awesome! Come check it out along with the rest of Legoland Florida! There's so much to ride, see, do and explore at this park, there really is something here for everyone!

Thanks to Legoland Florida for having me out this weekend to cover everything!

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sun May 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Looks like an excellent addition! Consider me one of the people that was skeptical of Lego's potential success due to it's location, but I'm very happy to see them very successful in Florida!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!