TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland Florida Discussion Thread

head south a bit

21 miles from I-4 to the park.

That's more than 'a bit' on a road with lights, stores, restaurants, etc.

I'm not gonna argue, there is traffic, but I have made that drive in 30min. US 27 is a 3 laned highway..not a backwoods local road. All the major trucking uses it. The most lights are through Haines City area, but it is an easy drive. I do it all the time, as I live right in that area.

It can take an hour or more to get to Busch Gardens, and people do that..so the possibility is there...plus with it having some affiliation with the new Sea World owners...who knows...maybe they will add shuttle service.

^^ Agreed. It's a lot more than "a bit" it's more like "a LOT."

I've done that drive down US27 enough to know that it can take anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes depending on the local traffic.

I know a lot of you are "pro-Cypress Gardens" people, but let's be realistic here. If the park wasn't a pain in the ass to get to, it would still be alive today and not needing Legoland to bail them out of death.

The park is in a very, VERY bad location. Anyone that tries to argue that point isn't being realistic.

In order for the park to survive it needs two things to happen:

1. It needs something to make people actually want to go.

2. It needs an improved route to get there.

A Legoland conversion offers the first item, but they really need to go #2 if they expect the park to be a big success.

It can take an hour or more to get to Busch Gardens, and people do that.

Busch Gardens is not a pain in the ass to get to! It's futher away, sure, but I've actually made it to BGT quicker than I've made it to CG from the Walt Disney World resort!

Regardless, I do think this will be a good move for the park and for Florida...I just hope they can make it work.

--Robb

I wouldn't say it's overly difficult,but it's just not that close, and in between traffic lights and traffic it's like at least an hour to get to Disney.I haven't done the drive from Cypress Gardens to the Orlando theme parks that much,I think only twice but all I kept thinking is how much longer it's taking than I thought it would.Also I know I heard they changed or were going to change the entrance and parking of the park last year but the parking they had about 3 years ago in my last visit I just don't remember it having a parking lot that will hold that many cars.I think parking might be another area they might need to look at if it becomes a Legoland.

If you ask me, I still think if Legoland were to build a park, why didn't they go for Splendid China instead? Sure Cypress Gardens has infrastructure built in, but driving through towns in Florida (especially where most drivers in Florida are slow) is a pain.

It will take a miracle, I can say that much.

If you ask me, I still think if Legoland were to build a park, why didn't they go for Splendid China instead? Sure Cypress Gardens has infrastructure built in, but driving through towns in Florida (especially where most drivers in Florida are slow) is a pain.

It will take a miracle, I can say that much.

I think the Splendid China site would be more work than they want...That place is ALWAYS having issues with teens using it for skateboarding, setting fires and other vandalism..the place needs to be torched...LOL

I just wonder who is going to go. I have been to Florida 1/2 dozen times and have never been out of Orlando. Just to much to do on a vacation then burn a day going there.

Families with young boys. Trust me on this. My son's classmates were DYING of envy that he went to Legoland.

Here are three images of Cypress Gardens, Splendid China, and Legoland California to give you an idea of size and infrastructure. I'm sure someone who has more time can put these together or color them in so we can get an even better idea of land use.

legocalifornia.jpg.ac78b6d39ade46ba47146bbfb1a88a74.jpg

Legoland California

splendidchina.jpg.1e50ed28d2dca5b7aefd8479518e285a.jpg

Splendid China

cypressgardens.jpg.b0a1146537260c91f98a92431f04db32.jpg

Cypress Gardens

I just wonder who is going to go. I have been to Florida 1/2 dozen times and have never been out of Orlando. Just to much to do on a vacation then burn a day going there.

I'll tell you who is going to go...Anyone that has boys from the ages of 4-14!

I live in Salt Lake right now, Legoland CA is not a convenient park for me to go to, but my kids beg me to go all the time. They would rather go to Legoland that Disneyland.

So if I was going to plan a trip to Florida, which tens of millions of people do each year you can bet that a large percentage of families with young boys will make the trek to Legoland.

I agree the locations sucks but there has to be a GREAT amount of money that will not have to be invested in the park due to the existing facilities (restaurants, restrooms & merchandise) and infrastructure and secondly Lego is a strong brand that will draw crowds.

Just my thoughts...

As much as young girls love all the Disney Princesses, young boys LOVE Legos.

Okay, I haven't participated much in this thread, but I have a couple questions about this new development.

-Weren't most of the rides sold just a little while ago? Or will this new Legoland probably introduce their own rides?

-What do people think will become of the classic parts of Cypress Gardens (ie. the gardens, ski show...)?

I visited the park a couple years back, and what amazes me when I think back now, is how well a Legoland would fit there. Does anyone else feel this way at least about the old ride section/waterpark?

-Weren't most of the rides sold just a little while ago? Or will this new Legoland probably introduce their own rides?

I would certainly hope so. I don't see any of those old off-the-shelf rides fitting into Legoland very well. Not even the two woodies to be honest.

--Robb

I will say that turning it into a Legoland is still the best chance it's ever going to get, but without a bypass or a highway I guarantee you they will continue to have some of the same challenges the park has had for twenty years.

--Robb

I "suspect" they may have this covered, or at least a plan. Gov. Charlie Christ, OF ALL PEOPLE (Peeps in Florida would know...) will be at this press conference, as well as other local politicians. Can you say "Federal Stimulous Money for road projects"? When the Governer shows up, it's not something to overlook.

^ And if he was smart, Christ would build the bypass as a toll road similar to Osceola Parkway. That way the people would have to choose either the toll road, or the 20 mile romp past all sorts of local businesses. It'd be an economic win-win.

I hear all the complaints about the drive from I-4 to Cypress, but, do you folks honestly think that the drive would turn people away from a LegoLand park, as opposed to some no-name Cypress Gardens place? Seems to me that a long drive off the freeway would frustrate people & keep them away, but Cypress had far more problems than that when it comes to how guests are attracted into Orlando-area theme parks.

I'm not a FL local, though I have been to the Orlando parks a few different times. To me, Cypress always looked like the unbranded drawless park whose only reason for me to make a visit was some coaster credits. So, for a family who didn't care about coaster credits, there was no reason at all for a stop @ Cypress. The addition of the LEGO trademarks changes that equation entirely.

Transforming Cypress into LegoLand immediately puts that park right up with Disney, Universal, Sea World & Busch Gardens in the Orlando theme park conversation. All those booths in the Orlando area at the Turnpike stops, in the various hotel lobbys, in the airport terminals, in the travel agencies, everywhere can now put Legos in with the rest, and that alone, I'd think, would help drive up attendance, regardless of how the park is accessed from the I-4. All Merlin really needs to do is to work with the Polk County people on installing "THIS WAY TO LEGOLAND" signs on every traffic signal, and people will make the drive no matter how lengthy it is.

So I think this idea is great all around. It's great for the local area. It's great for the park itself in terms of it can stay open as a theme park. The $150M initial announcement is kind of a low-ball, but the follow-up investment can always be announced later after the initial reception has been made, and it becomes clear how LegoLand integrates itself into the conversation along with Disney, Universal, Sea World, & Busch Gardens.

Rental car agencies also have to be grinning from ear to ear at this news.

^ And if he was smart, Christ would build the bypass as a toll road similar to Osceola Parkway. That way the people would have to choose either the toll road, or the 20 mile romp past all sorts of local businesses. It'd be an economic win-win.

Crist is looking to run for higher office, creating a new economic boom would look great on his resume. If this were happening anywhere else in the state, I don't think he'd show.

The other concern that I am not sure has been brought up is where they are going to find their labor pool. My memories of Cypress Gardens include many ride ops with "meth mouth" and a general redneck feel. Not sure that is the image that Merlin wants. Sure - they might be able to get some folks who live on the Disney side of 27 (by I-4) to work there but I don't think many of the hospitality industry folks who live in the WDW / Universal area will be willing to make the hour drive.

And a note on the drive on US-27 - it is a borderline country small road. Its poorly maintained, lots of lights that take forever with semi-trucks and pickups driving very slowly. One accident and the road grinds to a halt. It is a *miserable* drive when I visit friends who just live in Haines City - further than that feels like you are driving through rural Mississippi or Alabama.

Don't get me wrong - I want this park to succeed.. I just am not sure it is possible.

I would certainly hope so. I don't see any of those old off-the-shelf rides fitting into Legoland very well. Not even the two woodies to be honest.

--Robb

Are the two Vekoma family coasters still there? I could imagine those two being usable at the very least (Dragon Coaster?)

I think that as soon as the news was released of Merlin buying out this park, it was obvious from the pre-set that they was going to add it to the 'Legoland' franchise so to speak.

This could be a good re-theme or it could be an utter dreaded change. I'll explain, It seems to me from looking at the park that it's a nicely landscaped and minimilisticaly (Minimal theming) themed park. This to me (from looking at pictures) really screams out to be a true small American park. Now if the exchange isn't done with precise execution it could wreck the whole look of the park and look as though they really have just 'Planted the logo brand on the park'. If they make sure to take care, attention to detail and make it look like it's a 'New Legoland Park' from scratch then this will be a major triumph.

It wouldn't surprise me if Merlin buys out Terra Mitica either. I mean, it's up for sale and in a prime position in Benidorm. I'm not saying turn it into a 'Legoland' as that really wouldn't fit the park, but maybe start a new concept altogether?

That's where I stand on this situation.

LA Times 11:40am EST: "Merlin plans a multimillion-dollar expansion of the Florida property to turn the shuttered site into a multiday resort, promising to add hotels and attractions from its other holdings, which include the SeaLife Aquarium, Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum and the London Eye Ferris wheel."

Okay...a Ferris Wheel the height of the London Eye out in the middle of "nowhere," makes about as much sense as the Giant Wheel at Darien Lake.

This is kind of a late post- but does anyone know if there is Live Streaming of the Press Conference? I say late post because it started 17 minutes ago...

There is a live stream being offered right here via someone's iPhone: http://ustre.am/9g4g

Jason Garcia of the Orlando Sentinel has reported live via his Twitter that Merlin will receive a $5 million incentive for investing in the site, and the state will help to provide "road improvements" for the surrounding area. He has also reported saying that this will be the largest Legoland, and will open by the end of 2011.

We'll have the official news online as soon as the official press release and press reports are posted to the web.

http://www.newschief.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100121/NEWS/100129988/1021&Title=Late-2011-opening-planned-for-Legoland-Florida&template=printart

Late 2011 opening planned for Legoland Florida

More than 1,000 jobs planned, park official says

News Chief staff report

Published: Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 11:28 a.m.

WINTER HAVEN - The new name of the theme park known for 74 years as Cypress Gardens will now be Legoland Florida.

Nick Varney, the chief executive officer of Merlin Entertainments Group, made the announcement Thursday morning prior to a news conference at the park, which Merlin purchased this month from Land South Adventures LLC.

When the news conference got under way, Varney said a late 2011 opening is planned for Legoland Florida, which will provide more than 1,000 jobs.

Merlin is keeping the historic botanical gardens and water park, Varney said. He said the company is thinking about keeping Cypress Gardens as the name of the botanical gardens section of the theme park, but that decision isn't final.

"The gardens are safe in our hands," Varney said.

The original 30 acres of Cypress Gardens, which encompasses a total of 152 acres along Lake Eloise, is owned by the Polk County government.

The news conference, which was scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m., was held up almost an hour by a late-arriving Gov. Charlie Crist.

"It's great to have Legoland here," Crist said during his brief remarks. "There is nothing better for our economy than jobs, jobs, jobs."

Varney said Legoland Florida will include more than 40 million Lego building bricks in its design.

Merlin Entertainments Group officials and guests invited to the new conference were greeted by some “Welcome Legoland” signs and banners at businesses along Cypress Gardens Boulevard.

The following is the partial text of a news release issued Thursday morning by the Polk County communications office:

Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing lands Legoland park in Florida

BARTOW - A press conference today attended by a host of elected officials, including Gov. Charlie Crist and U.S. Rep. Adam Putnam, confirmed that Cypress Gardens has been purchased by Merlin Entertainments – the second largest attractions industry company in the world and also owner of Legoland parks worldwide.

Members of the media and invited guests gathered at Florida's first theme park – Cypress Gardens – to unveil the plan to continue the park's legacy of attracting a multitude of visitors to Polk County. The new park will be named Legoland Florida.

“I am delighted to be here today to announce what I believe will be one of the most exciting and important projects in which Merlin Entertainments has ever been involved,” said Nick Varney, chief executive officer for Merlin Entertainments.

“The development of a Legoland park in Florida is a perfect opportunity for us here in the heart of what is the biggest family tourist center in the world - and I believe it will bring a unique new experience to Florida,” Varney said.

Legoland Florida will be Merlin Entertainments 13th attraction in the United States, with four more in the development phase. Legoland Florida will be the fifth Legoland park worldwide and the only one on the East Coast – with the others in California, Denmark, England and Germany.

“Legoland is an extraordinary concept – specifically developed for children between the ages of 2 and 12 and their moms and dads, of course,” said Varney. Legoland offers families ... rides, shows and even model building challenges.

Merlin Entertainments is the second largest attraction company in the world, second only to the Walt Disney Company. Legoland California is the fastest growing theme park in the United States, realizing a 6 percent growth in visitation in 2009. The park was also recognized by Amusement Today as the country's best theme park for children for the sixth consecutive year.

The partnership between Merlin Entertainments and Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing had a major impact as the final site for Legoland Florida was selected.

“We are looking forward to working with Merlin Entertainments. Their record speaks for itself. Their exciting plans for the site, the jobs Legoland Florida will create and their commitment to Polk County is something my colleagues at both the local and state level really welcome,” said Bob English, chairman of the Polk County Commission.

Additionally, during the press conference, Gov. Crist and a host of legislators offered their support in the building of LEGOLAND Florida.

“We are extremely happy that the future of Cypress Gardens is secure. Legoland is one of the most exciting names in family attractions and a welcome new addition to Florida,” Crist said.

“This is a huge success story for Polk County that will have a significant impact on Polk County as a tourism destination. Legoland Florida and its connection to Merlin Entertainments provide worldwide visibility for Polk County,” said Mark Jackson, director of Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing.

Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing has already begun working with Merlin Entertainments on a cooperative partnership that will help promote the park and the tourism industry in Polk County.

In addition to the impact the park will have on Polk County's tourism industry, the effect on economic development in the area will also get a massive boost. With the announcement from Merlin Entertainments, an international company, one of the Central Florida Development Council's goals is closer to fruition.

“We have been working with the international community for quite some time, and today's announcement reinforces Polk County's commitment to international companies,” said Central Florida Development Council Director Tom Patton. “This news will certainly bring more awareness to Polk County and shows that we are a destination for international-oriented companies and investment.”

Legoland Florida is slated to open in less than two years, at the end of 2011.