California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby rumble » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:32 pm

A decent size crowd turned out for opening day. After a short opening ceremony it was down to business with everyone running to Gold Stiker which had a solid hour wait for most of the morning. Happy to report no new walls or tunnels!

Heavy rain hit around lunchtime, the park emptied significantly and lines reduced respectively.

A big change this year is the installation of TVs in the lines for each of the major rides, broadcasting fun facts, weather forecasts and blaring out music videos. I was kind of dubious about this new addition as I was worried it would be used for nothing but intrusive, incessant advertising, like the TVs at Six Flags, but actually there was actually very little advertising and the programming was quite well done.

Operations were typical for opening day, with most crews still finding their rhythm a little, Demon operations however were a shambles; nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing on that ride.

1.JPG
Flight Deck has brand new coat of paint! The ride looks awesome.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
The new wheel covers aren't as fun as the old sharks and eagles.

9.JPG
Despite the new paint job all the early 90s fighter jet junk is still in the queue. The new track color scheme and train details make me wonder if a de-theme was originally on the cards (or maybe for the future?)

5.JPG
The rain set in at around 1pm and a number of rides closed, including Pyscho Mouse, Tiki Twirl and Delta Flyers/Eagle's Flight. The bad weather thinned the crowds significantly.

6.JPG
The rain was no problem for Gold Striker, which is still running phenomenally.

7.JPG
The big stage has been removed from behind the carousel, looks like something new may get aded here for a new show called -ugh- "#playlist".

8.JPG
Felt bad for these guys stuck in line for season pass processing during the rain. The line stretched right back around to the entrance to Orleans Place.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby CPSFMMCW » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Nice photos! Flight deck is cool I kinda liked its color scheme before but it does look pod but I think it needs a retheme now that it has a new color scheme
Check out Coaster Studios on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCoasterguy14
Twitter: @coasterstudios
Intimidator 305|El Toro|Apollo's Chariot|New Texas Giant|Nitro|Kingda Ka|Skyrush|Superman: Ride of Steel|Superman: Ultimate Flight|Volcano

I go to furry parties, I'm probably a brony too...

Postby tarheel1231 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Being a Cedar Fair park, "Flight Deck" should be changed to "Hawk Flight".
Hawk Flight.jpg
:lol:
I'm done.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby leqant » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:06 pm

rumble wrote:A decent size crowd turned out for opening day. After a short opening ceremony it was down to business with everyone running to Gold Stiker which had a solid hour wait for most of the morning. Happy to report no new walls or tunnels!

Heavy rain hit around lunchtime, the park emptied significantly and lines reduced respectively.

A big change this year is the installation of TVs in the lines for each of the major rides, broadcasting fun facts, weather forecasts and blaring out music videos. I was kind of dubious about this new addition as I was worried it would be used for nothing but intrusive, incessant advertising, like the TVs at Six Flags, but actually there was actually very little advertising and the programming was quite well done.

Operations were typical for opening day, with most crews still finding their rhythm a little, Demon operations however were a shambles; nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing on that ride.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

9.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

I was in that line myself and trust me it was like wet hell. In one part, there was an roof like object that seemed more for sunny days and it would drip water on the people in line. The main reason for the long lines was probably confusion over the new system implemented for season pass processing. Speaking of flight deck, at one point it broke down and there was only one train running afterwards.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:20 am

tarheel1231 wrote:Being a Cedar Fair park, "Flight Deck" should be changed to "Hawk Flight". :lol:

Oh please, that name is worse than "Flight Deck" and hasn't Cedar Fair used enough "hawk" in their ride name already? I much rather see Cedar Fair rename California Great America's and Canada's Wonderland's Flight Deck to "Iron Dragon"!
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:36 am

^I believe that was the point of Tarheel's post---to mock Cedar Fair and their excessive use of "hawk" in ride names. :)
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:56 am

Great day at the park today cool weather and light crowds, walk ons everywhere but gold striker which is approx 40 mins

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:32 pm

rumble wrote:Despite the new paint job all the early 90s fighter jet junk is still in the queue. The new track color scheme and train details make me wonder if a de-theme was originally on the cards (or maybe for the future?)

The only question for me is whether the new theme will be football or some Silicon Valley billionaire's subsidy.

A few years ago I'd have voted to retheme it to the nearby Big Blue Cube (google it) but they've relocated to Southern California. It would have been a good update to the jet junk theme but probably too obscure. And it could be the basis for a realistic "Haunt" theme - much better than Hollywood fantasy scares.

It's fascinating how CGA has one of the best B&Ms and one of the worst B&Ms next to each other.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Shame about the wheel covers, though I believe I saw that mentioned somewhere earlier (for real, not the time I just looked at an old picture wrong), so I wasn't too shocked. As for the track itself, it looks right at home--for a minute there I forgot it was a new color scheme!

I'm glad, though not surprised, to hear Gold Striker is still awesome. I'm finding it harder than I expected to fit CGA into my plans for this year, so I might just hold off until another season, but I'll keep looking into it.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:42 am

cal1br3tto wrote: I'm finding it harder than I expected to fit CGA into my plans for this year, so I might just hold off until another season, but I'll keep looking into it.

Keep an eye out for cheap Southwest flights, sometimes Virgin has great sales as well. Amtrak is supposed to be a beautiful ride down from Oregon.
Tigga, please!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!