California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 pm

thrillgeek wrote:I've been hearing a mix of reviews from everyone on here about CGA. There is a good chance I'll be going there this Sunday or Monday for a few days. Sam and I will be staying in a hotel so we can go multiple days! So i'm going to have plenty of time to check it out for myself. Yay I can't wait.

Hit me up, I've got a platinum pass and am always down to stomp around the park. I went last Sunday at 8:30pm and rode just about everything that wasn't closed. I would suggest getting some rides in the AM and spend the afternoon at the water park, and return around 7ish for the rides at night when its much cooler :b

No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:42 am

I now have a regular season pass! I've decided that next year I'll get a platinum pass so I can ride the new GCI all the time as well as go to CP and KBF.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Went last night from about 6 until closing to get my creds in. The park is beutiful like always and I don't remember seeing any trash anywhere. Crowds were very light which meant everything was a walk on-it was great! The longest we waited in line was 5 minutes for Invertigo. It's been years since I was able to ride those coasters in the dark and I forgot how different and more exciting they are. Demon was awesome because most of it is unlit and going through the tunnel it was REALLY dark. Firefall looks really nice with the effects and themeing but I did not ride it. The fire was also working on Survivor and you really feel the heat from it standing in line for Drop Tower. After a beer we rode Flight Deck multiple times...loved it! The staff in the park was very friendly and the restraint checker on FD even asked me how I was doing. Eventhough it was slow, the coaster crews were all hustling to get trains dispatched. Never once saw trains get stacked. It really was a 'great' day at Great America.

Postby thrillgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:00 pm

^When I went it was exactly like that too! Very, very, light crowds and exceptionally fast ride ops. It's way better than at Six Flags. Or at least my home park ;)

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:35 pm

I was just checking out the coasterbuzz site, and apparently they found an article about the possibility of Cedar Fair selling the park to the 49ers for around $110 million, but the 49ers are fighting the price since the county estimated its value to be around $44 million.

here is the link to the article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_ ... ck_check=1
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Link doesn't work.

Edit: Went into CB website and read. I hope none of this pulls through, I'd really hate to see the park be taken out just for a football team I could absolutely care less for. Maybe it's another publicity stunt for both Cedar Fair and the 49ers to be in the spot light again...

Postby thrillgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 pm

I love both the 49ers and CGA. I would much rather keep CGA though because I have a season pass :Pr

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:48 am

The 49ers should give up...they can't win. Don't the people of Santa Clara still have to vote on this or has that happened yet? I for one would much rather have an amusement park instead of a crappy football team/stadium and I am sure there are many that feel the same and I am willing to bet those people, especially the ones with kids, would much rather take their kids to a fun and safe amusement park instead of a boring and dangerous football game. Yeah I hate the 9ers and what they are trying to do, I admit that, and I just can't see how this could possibly be good at all besides maybe bringing in more revenue. But then don't the Santa Clara residence have to pay more taxes for this? Traffic would be a nightmare. I have a feeling this will all go away and CF will expand the park and make it better. If there is any good in this then that is what will happen....In my opinion.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

CGA - NO coaster in 2009?

Postby jerriblank » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 pm

check this out:

http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/NC/0/946.html

"Cedar Fair has missed their timetable to get the coaster on-track and rolling by the 2009 season."

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:49 pm

That's one of the more casually written articles I've come across! It's really very annoying for CGA. Normally I would say it's good to have some public debate about planning permission, etc, yet oddly when it comes to theme parks - well, I would side with Cedar Fair.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!