California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby Password121 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:37 am

DILinator wrote:
mark549 wrote:Cedar Fair had the lower quality B&M stand ups.

Interestingly enough, this is pretty much true! Aside from finding Mantis better than "Iron Apocalypse", I do think Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern Chang are better than Mantis and certainly Carowinds' Vortex (the worst B&M Stand up I have ridden, easily!). I haven't ridden Georgia Scorcher or CGA Vortex personally, but everything I've heard about GS is that it is one of the best Stand-Ups out there. I makes me wonder why it is that SF had such better success with their models...?

With Iron Wold being the lone exception, they waited. There were three earlier, smaller models (two of which are Cedar Fair coasters), the three large stand up models, the later two are Six Flags' coasters, and Georgia Scorcher, which was just better engineered and is obviously much newer. If you do the same thing over and over, you're bound to get better at it. By the time Six Flags really got into the stand ups starting with Chang, they actually started to get decent.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 am

Rest assured, CGA's Vortex absolutely sucks. One of my least favorite coasters ever. Thankfully it's really short

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 am

Domm wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:It's been a while since I've bought a pass from CGA or Knott's, but does a Platinum pass get you into both Haunts? It's been a few years since I've been to CGA Haunt but I really want to make it this year and hopefully Knott's as well! :br

Platinum will get you into both parks + CGA haunt. Knotts Scary Farm is extra

Well I'm not sure if I'm going to Knott's of CGA any other time besides Haunt (and WCB). Gold Pass for CGA does work for Haunt, correct? And it would still work for Haunt next year?

What's the price of a single day ticket to Haunt and Scary Farm? I couldn't figure it out online, is it the same price as a regular single day ticket?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Tmcdllr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:03 pm

dannyboy13 wrote:Rest assured, CGA's Vortex absolutely sucks. One of my least favorite coasters ever. Thankfully it's really short

:nina:

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:45 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
Domm wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:It's been a while since I've bought a pass from CGA or Knott's, but does a Platinum pass get you into both Haunts? It's been a few years since I've been to CGA Haunt but I really want to make it this year and hopefully Knott's as well! :br

Platinum will get you into both parks + CGA haunt. Knotts Scary Farm is extra

Gold Pass for CGA does work for Haunt, correct? And it would still work for Haunt next year?

This is true. Gold pass includes parking and CGA Haunt this year and the year your pass is validated.

dannyboy13 wrote:Rest assured, CGA's Vortex absolutely sucks. One of my least favorite coasters ever. Thankfully it's really short

THIS
Tigga, please!

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 am

Based on the POV it looks like it would make a really fun (though unorthodox) floorless. I still think they need to leave the Carowinds Vortex alone though and that's the only standup I'll say that about. The layout is way too boring without the standup gimmick and it's actually an enjoyable coaster.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Although I agree that Vortex is a total piece of crap, I don't get the point of converting it since the Bay Area already has a floorless coaster is much taller and faster, and has way more Inversion than Vortex (Which is very, VERY import to the GP.). Think about it, you see two commercials: one advertises a new floorless ride at CGA (Which if you're from the area then you would most likely know that SFDK has a much bigger one), and the second advertises a crazy new hybrid ride at the SAME park where you can ride the taller, faster, and "Loopier" floorless ride. And even with new trains, it seems like all they would be doing is making it more tolerable, it's still not a very exciting layout. Having it meet Mr. Wrecking Ball would be the best thing to ever happen to that ride, but oh well. One can dream.
Hm, I see...

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:28 am

CGA Haunt.jpg

NEW MAZE AT GREAT AMERICA’S HALLOWEEN HAUNT OPENING SEPTEMBER 25
We’ll Scare The Yell Out Of You With 9 Mazes & 3 New Scare Zones
Demon, Drop Tower, Gold Striker And Flight Deck Rides Add To The Thrills

SANTA CLARA, CA – Halloween Haunt at California’s Great America, the Bay Area’s premier Halloween spectacular, will begin terrifying guests September 25. Haunt runs Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and keeps the evil running through Halloween. All guests 13 and older are invited to Face Their Fears!

Scare times on Fridays and Saturdays run from 7pm-Midnight through October 11, and Halloween Haunt mazes continue the horror through 1am on Fridays and Saturdays from October 16-31. Halloween Haunt is open 7pm-Midnight on Sundays and will open at 7:30pm on October 4 and 18.

Halloween Haunt’s eighth horrifying season debuts one horrific maze and three freakish new scare zones. inSANITORIUM takes mazes to a frightening new level, while the frightful walks of Killer Clown Town, Evacuate! and Lockdown create terror throughout the park.

Halloween Haunt’s eight returning haunted mazes include: Dia De Los Muertos, Zombie High, Wax Museum Chamber of Horrors, Roadkill Road House, CornStalkers, Madame Marie’s Massacre Manor, Mirror Mirror and Toy Factory.

“Halloween Haunt is the Bay Area’s premier Halloween event,” said California’s Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg. “The in-your-face mazes and experiences, mixed in with the scare zones, shows and rides, create the perfect Halloween dynamic.”

Halloween Haunt’s four Live Shows bring additional frights and shrills to Great America. The hideous Academy of Villains, outdoor acrobatic Nytewalkers, incredible aerial Blades of Horror and the misfit performers of Sideshow will leave guests dying for more.

For 2015, Fright Lane passes will transport guests to the front of maze lines and provide Skeleton Key access to five gruesome and gory experiences where only brave souls dare venture.

Beginning October 9, The Haunt Boofet, located in Great America Pavilion from 5-7pm (except for October 18), includes an all-you-can-eat fried chicken meal for as low $13.99 online.

Tickets can be found online at www.cagreatamerica.com/haunt with free admission for 2015 and 2016 Gold Pass holders. Students can receive discounted admission by showing their valid student ID.

Halloween Haunt is intended for guests 13 and older.

THE GREAT PUMPKIN FEST

For the younger set from September 5 – November 1, The Great Pumpkin Fest takes over Great America during daytime hours (closed Oct. 4 & 18 for 49ers games) and features trick-or-treating with Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang, pumpkin decorating, a hay maze and coloring.

Postby Superbatboy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:54 am

Andrewoplis wrote:Although I agree that Vortex is a total piece of crap, I don't get the point of converting it since the Bay Area already has a floorless coaster is much taller and faster, and has way more Inversion than Vortex (Which is very, VERY import to the GP.). Think about it, you see two commercials: one advertises a new floorless ride at CGA (Which if you're from the area then you would most likely know that SFDK has a much bigger one), and the second advertises a crazy new hybrid ride at the SAME park where you can ride the taller, faster, and "Loopier" floorless ride. And even with new trains, it seems like all they would be doing is making it more tolerable, it's still not a very exciting layout. Having it meet Mr. Wrecking Ball would be the best thing to ever happen to that ride, but oh well. One can dream.

Because it's a cheap way to market something "new"
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JonnyRCT3 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:01 am

^Exactly. Regardless of what some other park may have, it's still something new the park offers. And if it draws in more customers, or even makes the ride more popular, it will be a success. Which is exactly what CGA want's it to be. Win, win.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!